Lets see some full size pictures...

daddyusmaximus

Explorer
A 7.3 doesn't have to worry about the cold. Get a good glow plug relay, and make sure you have all good plugs. I have yellow top Optimas, a Mean Green starter, and run synthetic oil. My block heater cord was hanging low and got damaged off road last winter, I haven't plugged her in since then. I drive her every day and she started fine at -7 last week. I will say that is a mean looking truck. It will be interesting to see what becomes of it.

Benjamin74

Thanks for the advise and compliments... I'll grab a relay and some plugs this week and swap them out. Hope to get started in a few months on the transformation...

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
A 7.3 doesn't have to worry about the cold.

My 7.3 had to be plugged in even in summer. I did GPs, GP relay and still nothing. Changed the rocker gaskets with integral wiring harness and presto. Starts no problem. Often the connector plugs will melt on the wiring and your not going to start it easily without being plugged in.

Benjamin74

Changed the rocker gaskets with integral wiring harness and presto. Starts no problem. Often the connector plugs will melt on the wiring and your not going to start it easily without being plugged in.

Thanks redthies! If I'm going in to change the relay & plugs I'll be doing this as well, no brainer!

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
A 7.3 doesn't have to worry about the cold. Get a good glow plug relay, and make sure you have all good plugs. I have yellow top Optimas, a Mean Green starter, and run synthetic oil. My block heater cord was hanging low and got damaged off road last winter, I haven't plugged her in since then. I drive her every day and she started fine at -7 last week. I will say that is a mean looking truck. It will be interesting to see what becomes of it.

Interesting. My friend's '95 E-350 had two no starts in Mammoth 0* mornings this year. He had it towed to the yard where they hooked him up to the charger and plugged it in. It finally started. The driver said the secret up there is to cycle the plugs five times? The 2nd no start he was plugged in with a stout extension cord,and did the 5x deally. They were leaving anyway so the driver towed him to Bishop,where the warmer weather helped it start on it's own. Starts fine in San Diego.
Additionally,my friend goes hunting in Colorado every year. The Powerstrokes seem to struggle starting with the Duramax's being better.
I don't know if it's the grid heater on the Cummins but cold freezing weather doesn't seem to bother them as much.
I'll pass on that technical info.
He was running winter Diesel Kleen also.

surlydiesel

Adventurer
Sounds like glowplugs, either the relay is shot or he has a couple out. Doesn't take much for a 7.3 to not want to come to life in the cold...

-jorge

xbox73

Adventurer
Changed the rocker gaskets with integral wiring harness and presto. Starts no problem. Often the connector plugs will melt on the wiring and your not going to start it easily without being plugged in.

Thanks redthies! If I'm going in to change the relay & plugs I'll be doing this as well, no brainer!

It's called UVCH - under valve cover harness, there's one for each bank. Fairly common for the UVCH to go bad with heat/age. If you read OBDII codes & all the glow plugs on one bank are reported bad, it's likely the UVCH for that side. Be careful getting the glow plugs out, it's not unheard of for them to snap off. If you have the glow plug relay a.k.a. GPR (instead of the glow plug control module a.k.a. GPCM, I think all trucks have the GPR, though it's possible some California trucks have the GPCM), it's possible to get a heavy duty GPR, IIRC made by Stancor.

Edit to add link:
http://www.guzzle7pt3.com/s_gpr.php

daddyusmaximus

Explorer
I wanted to do the Stancor mod once I read about it, but had just put in a new factory one... So far/so good, maybe next time. The powerstroke forums are a wealth of knowledge. There must be a forum about everything these days...

forest522

Love those square bodies! Here is mine - 1984 M1009. I need to get it together and start a build thread. Currently working on a M116 trailer 'rebuild' - could really use some better weather here in NM! After a productive weekend getting some artificial rain gutters installed, the roof rack and some interior electrical mods...the snow hit. Make for fun driving though!

Attachments

• IMG_1513.jpg
    IMG_1513.jpg
    535.4 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_1543.jpg
    IMG_1543.jpg
    590.8 KB · Views: 67

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke