Lets see some full size pictures...

bknudtsen

Expedition Leader
HUH? :Wow1::wings::bike_rider:

Yeah. WAY over sprung and dampened. Gonna start a thread soon, but for now I am just removing unneeded suspension so that it rides better. I yanked one set of rear shocks yesterday and took some preload out of the torsion bars, which dropped the front about 3/4". It rides much smoother now. I have Bilstein 5100's on the way to replace the front reservoirs as well as a ton of go fast parts.

Raul B

Explorer
A more recent picture of my rig. Having a rear bumper with spare tire carrier built next week as well as rock sliders.
81faaed407c7e225a5398f51d44e1352.jpg

Wolvee

Adventurer
Not much to speak of yet. I'm still RestoModding it to make sure it'll be good for the long haul on the trail.

F150 with 7700/F250 Leaf Springs, Moog everything, Billy's front and rear, 7.3 SD trans cooler. As well as being my hunting and overlanding vehicle, it's also the Tow rig so I needed a full size truck. Next I need to install my Expedition brakes, roof rack, rear tire carrier and Tent rack.

8F35461F-4ED3-4A1E-A746-33E320226142_zpslwrprdvd.jpg

5DA39876-E108-410F-9A67-39CF187BADB9_zpsnxguj8fp.jpg

Raul B

Explorer
Not much to speak of yet. I'm still RestoModding it to make sure it'll be good for the long haul on the trail.

F150 with 7700/F250 Leaf Springs, Moog everything, Billy's front and rear, 7.3 SD trans cooler. As well as being my hunting and overlanding vehicle, it's also the Tow rig so I needed a full size truck. Next I need to install my Expedition brakes, roof rack, rear tire carrier and Tent rack.

8F35461F-4ED3-4A1E-A746-33E320226142_zpslwrprdvd.jpg

5DA39876-E108-410F-9A67-39CF187BADB9_zpsnxguj8fp.jpg

looks great. its nice to see another F150 on here

Brewtus

Adventurer
I suppose an update post is in order. Just put a custom 3" lift on my truck. Picked up 3500 coil springs and leaf springs and shocks off of a newer 1500 Off-Road edition.

DSCN3383_zpssnksv4gm.jpg

Before:
WP_20150618_001_zpsdudj3sjm.jpg

After:
WP_20150707_001_zps6xh1g23w.jpg

Grand total of $220. Yay used things!

chet6.7

Explorer
"Picked up 3500 coil springs"
How has the ride changed? Is it too stiff?
I have thought about doing the same thing to my 2500, if I get a Buckstop front bumper.

Brewtus

Adventurer
"Picked up 3500 coil springs"
How has the ride changed? Is it too stiff?
I have thought about doing the same thing to my 2500, if I get a Buckstop front bumper.

I would say that the ride is firmer, but not terribly stiff. Before, it was ridiculously bouncy and soft. Especially as I'm not bottoming out going over slight bumps.

I'm not sure about the newer models, but I believe the coil springs for a 2500 diesel and a 3500 diesel were the same for '94-'01. You might have to get some new taller springs from a manufacturer rather than used OEM ones.

chet6.7

Explorer
Brewtus,thanks for the reply.
I am not sure about the springs as I have read conflicting reports.
On the CF forum some are saying the diesel springs are the same,AEV said “come standard with dozens of different spring rates on HD trucks.” "The key here is the millions of dollars of engineering that the OE puts into engineering on the factory springs," Harriton explains. "The aftermarket just can't compete with the number of options offered. You're lucky to get a 'gas' and 'diesel' spring in the aftermarket, which wasn't as big a deal when you had rear leaves, but with the addition of rear coils, the frequency tuning becomes very, very important."

It seems to me a 3500 LWB DRW with the snow plow and 5th wheel package would have a different set of springs than my 2500 without those options,I admit it is just a guess on my part,but,AEV seems to agree.

Last edited:

Brewtus

Adventurer
Brewtus,thanks for the reply.
I am not sure about the springs as I have read conflicting reports.
On the CF forum some are saying the diesel springs are the same,AEV said “come standard with dozens of different spring rates on HD trucks.” "The key here is the millions of dollars of engineering that the OE puts into engineering on the factory springs," Harriton explains. "The aftermarket just can't compete with the number of options offered. You're lucky to get a 'gas' and 'diesel' spring in the aftermarket, which wasn't as big a deal when you had rear leaves, but with the addition of rear coils, the frequency tuning becomes very, very important."

It seems to me a 3500 LWB DRW with the snow plow and 5th wheel package would have a different set of springs than my 2500 without those options,I admit it is just a guess on my part,but,AEV seems to agree.

Agreed, though I think the likelihood of finding a '14 especially with that specific setup in a scrap yard is pretty slim. You could buy direct from a dealer, but then you're talking some serious $$$. Though I disagree with AEV a little bit, If I were a manufacturer, I'd be looking for every way possible to reduce the number of different components across vehicles. That's why the spring cups on 1500's, 2500's, and 3500's are all the same. It'd be worth a talk with a dealer as they have part numbers on hand for all of those things. Different part number = Different spring.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior