Lets see some full size pictures...

Exarcer2

1986 Chevy 3500

1986 Chevy 3500 cummins ,nv4500, dana 60 with crossover steering,dana 70 Detroit locker. On 35" good years. 5 1/2' flat bed, on board air.IMG

dave1014

Adventurer
truck got lifted over the weekend with an Icon 7" lift and 37" Toyo MT's.. she is getting where I need it to be!!

lifted.jpg
Lookin good Greg. Awesome to see another familiar face here too

Rockhounder

Explorer
Well, we just bought a new member to the family to have fun fixing up and altering. It is a 91 GMC suburban 1500 4x4 and running in perfect condition... nabbed it for $1500 as is....... has good, new BFG 33's A/T all round to boot. It will be my wifes car, we will be doing some body work, and repainting it in an awesome 2 tone, with the white stripe on the side made a little fatter(and using a custom paint that has 3-d flake hits that look like you are looking at a field of real powder snow, complete with the tiny snowflake sparkles, like you could just reach in and grab a snowball for real), after getting rid of all the silly rubber stick on trim gm was so fond of in the 90's. WIll probably keep it this hieght, get rid of the step sides, and streamline the bits and pieces.

One thing different about this is that when running, it sounds like it has a belt driven cam like my lotus esprits do... or some other similar whine (kinda like a blower belt) All external engine components look normal, anyone else have this noise? It kind of sounds like it is coming from the rear end of the engine.

!cid_20140924_132737.jpg!cid_20140924_132940.jpg

noJeepshere

Adventurer
Nice burb, besides white, what other color you going with?

Do you know if the motor is original? and how certain are you the noise is coming from the back of the motor? Because if it's a rebuild or the previous owner put a few go fast goodies on it, he may have put in a set of timing gears rather than a timing chain. I don't know what would make that kind of noise from the back of the motor other than maybe slack between the oil pump and camshaft gears.

cent frum a smaert fone

Rockhounder

Explorer
Nice burb, besides white, what other color you going with?

Do you know if the motor is original? and how certain are you the noise is coming from the back of the motor? Because if it's a rebuild or the previous owner put a few go fast goodies on it, he may have put in a set of timing gears rather than a timing chain. I don't know what would make that kind of noise from the back of the motor other than maybe slack between the oil pump and camshaft gears.

cent frum a smaert fone

Hi, It's going to be a dark garnet with a metallic flake/color shift type pearl.

The people we bought it from said new motor was put in 2 years ago. As to the noise, it possible has the gears, but motor does not feel any more powerful than our other 88 suburban. I will try to listen more specific. It seemed like last time I started it up, the whine was louder for the first 15 seconds or so, then got a little quieter. I am suspicious now of the tranny. will keep you posted

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
i just lifted my burb, still 1/2 ton ifs non flexing junk...IMAGE
Looks like the preload on the front could be backed off a little to let it move up and down a little more.
DSCN1323.JPG

Mine can stuff the tires up in the wheel wells and soak up the terrain pretty nicely. I like the 1500 IFS :) , I do have coils out back so that helps a little too.

Beamer pilot

Explorer
Hi, It's going to be a dark garnet with a metallic flake/color shift type pearl.

The people we bought it from said new motor was put in 2 years ago. As to the noise, it possible has the gears, but motor does not feel any more powerful than our other 88 suburban. I will try to listen more specific. It seemed like last time I started it up, the whine was louder for the first 15 seconds or so, then got a little quieter. I am suspicious now of the tranny. will keep you posted

Rockhounder, you are doing real good on this thread...compared to the other one...if you know what I mean...lol...

gohuge

Observer
I ran my old truck so soft up front with a 6" lift, was dubbed 'Cadillac Mode'. Accidentally bottomed it out
and drug the cross member bombing down a powerline road. Can definately back off torsion bars and see if
you gain some travel in the front end.

MT6bt

Rock hound
And then there are the people who lift a truck and putt low profile mud tires on ( why do they even MAKE low profile mud tires?) just to drive through town and roll coal... I applaud a stock truck on the trail.
Couldnt agree more! Although i have 285/75/18s. Almost too much rim. I have been thinking about getting rid of them

armymgdude

Observer
dd0f49a64db4d3d54ad06cd86382f2b5.jpg
98ebdefeae907014b619d2ce78f10e14.jpg

I have been lurking here long enough. Here is my 12 Ram 1500 with a 4.7, 3.92 gears, limited slip, factory skid plates, 2 in lift, Firestone MTs, 9000 lb NT winch (yeah I know I need a Warn), custom platform in the bed for storage and sleeping, and more... I am in Search and Rescue, so the truck gets a workout. The first pic is from yesterday on the Fortune creek trail in Eastern Wa. We made it to the top and camped at Gallagher lake.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior