Books on Expedition Campers

geoffff

Observer
Are there any good books out there on Expedition Campers? A quick Amazon.com search doesn't turn up much. I have Tom Sheppard's Vehicle-Dependent Expedition Guide and Off-Roader Driving books, which are excellent, but I'm thinking more about 4x4 truck-campers and vans than truck+tent expeditions.

I'm envisioning either a coffee table book with inspiring photos, or a detailed book of construction stories -- such as are found here on Expedition Portal (e.g. jayshapiro's Eco Roamer, etc.).

-- Geoff

Mickldo

Adventurer
Not a book on expedition campers as such but still very good advice for setting up any type of self sufficient long range tourer.

"Boatowner's Mechanical and Electrical Manual" by Nigel Calder.

Ignore the chapters on propeller shafts and bilge pumps but the rest of the stuff is pure gold. Good info on setting up AC and DC electrical systems, refrigeration, etc.

dhackney

Expedition Leader
Mickldo said:
"Boatowner's Mechanical and Electrical Manual" by Nigel Calder.

I second this recommendation. This was a primary resource for me since I was coming out of a sailboat paradigm into the overland concept. I wish I could have implemented a more pure version of Nigel's recommendations.

As Mick said, if you ignore the marine specific chapters and titles, e.g. "Heavy Weather Sailing," your local marine book store (Seabreeze Books in San Diego is my favorite - http://www.seabreezebooks.com/ ) is your best resource for information on the systems that make up an expedition vehicle, e.g. 12VDC, 120/220 VAC, LP/Propane, water, sewer, etc.

geoffff

Observer
I just ordered a copy of Travel Vans, thanks!

The other part of my question is that I simply enjoy reading about other people's projects even if I'm not going to build quite the same kind of thing. I love my Sportsmobile, but I love reading about large military truck 4x4 camper projects, too.

On the same note, I enjoy reading stories of old car restoration, but I realize I'll probably never have the time and patience to do that myself.

-- Geoff

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier