25 Year Old Land Rovers

dlbrunner

Adventurer
What about smog issues? In AZ (Maricopa County and Pima I believe) and in NV (Clark/Washoe) a vehicle must undergo a smog inspection. The vehicle has to be equipped the the appropriate smog equipment for the year it was manufactured.

James86004

Expedition Leader
Beowulf said:
dlbrunner,

Do they still make you do the inspection on a 25yr old vehicle?

Yes, any vehicle built in 1967 or later in metro Tucson or Phoenix gets an annual emission inspection. Ask me how I know.

greenmeanie

Adventurer
dlbrunner said:
What about smog issues? In AZ (Maricopa County and Pima I believe) and in NV (Clark/Washoe) a vehicle must undergo a smog inspection. The vehicle has to be equipped the the appropriate smog equipment for the year it was manufactured.

That's not entirely true. For an import vehicle I think the EPA has a 21 year rule IIRC. God knows why it s different than the DOT but there you go. Anyway you should get a class E emissions exemption. That means that all OEM emissions equipment should be present but does not require the DOT/EPA equipment requirement is met. Of course, equipped or not you do have to pas the emissions for the year of build. Oh, and if your truck is plated for a gross weight of greater than 6500lbs(I think) it is entitled to be tested in the heavy duty class.

I put a 101 through emissions in Phoenix each year. The first year I did it (After four years of no issues in Tucson) I had to make 5 trips to the Maricopa county EPA assesors office with various bits of paperwork and then have a nice old lady from Washigton tear them a new one.

It's fun when you win.

Cheers
Gregor

zimm

Expedition Leader
the condition of the english rovers is such as to not warrant near the asking price.

realistically, if youre into vin swapping, 9 out of ten of these hunks of poo are good for a vin only. but paying some importer 13g for a piece of crap just for a vin, then having to build an entire truck from scratch, aint cheap either.

face it. only a lucky few are gonna get a minty 110 cheap. the thin 14g steel frame coupled with the 25 year rule, with a heap of weal dollar thrown in (yea, other euro countries are looking too and they have a 40% buying power advantage right now, and into the longterm future) means no...

NO ENGLISH BARN FINDS FOR YOU!

Mercedesrover

Explorer
I have to agree with Zimm on this. There’s no magic bullet. There are no perfect condition $10K 110s.

Look closely at that ’83 Mike has for sale. Like he says in the ad “These aren’t ECR restorations…”. The back of the tub is corroded like a typical Series truck. The frame has a fair amount of surface rust that’s been waxoyled over. It looks like the back of the seat box is corroded. It’s a 4-cylinder and it’s RHD. And it’s $17,500. That’s a lot of money for a truck that’s going to need a good deal of work in the future but that’s what they cost by the time you buy it in the UK, ship it over and get the paperwork sorted. If you happen to find an estate owned, low mileage, non-corroded 110 in very good shape, with a V8 or a diesel it’s going to bring $30k-$40K at least. That’s just how it is.

Last edited:

EricWS

Observer
dlbrunner said:

Late 60's rovers have an extremely simple emissions system. I think there are only 10 parts total. I doubt any inspection monkey would even notice if it was correct for the year or not or even present. My best bet is that if the engine is tuned and runs well it will pass...

zimm

Expedition Leader
Mercedesrover said:
I have to agree with Zimm on this. There’s no magic bullet. There are no perfect condition $10K 110s.

Look closely at that ’83 Mike has for sale. Like he says in the ad “These aren’t ECR restorations…”. The back of the tub is corroded like a typical Series truck. The frame has a fair amount of surface rust that’s been waxoyled over. It looks like the back of the seat box is corroded. It’s a 4-cylinder and it’s RHD. And it’s $17,500. That’s a lot of money for a truck that’s going to need a good deal of work in the future but that’s what they cost by the time you buy it in the UK, ship it over and get the paperwork sorted. If you happen to find an estate owned, low mileage, non-corroded 110 in very good shape, with a V8 or a diesel it’s going to bring $30k-$40K at least. That’s just how it is.

for years, with a strong dollar, we were able to import stuff cheap. its the opposite now. toyota 80 series are LEAVING the country, and going to africa. a 6g USD fj80 with lockers is only 4g euro right now. say by by.

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
Michael Slade said:
Why are you posting a year-old thread from a BBS that is ripe with misinformation?

If it is a thread of misinformation I am sorry. I no knowledge of importing 25 yr old vehicles. Just thought this was the place to discuss this type of topic.

greenmeanie

Adventurer
Michael Slade said:
Why are you posting a year-old thread from a BBS that is ripe with misinformation?

Having read the thread I'm interested to know which parts you feel are misinformed. Not wanting to start a pissing contest or anything but always interested to be educated.

EricWS

Observer
Beowulf said:
If it is a thread of misinformation I am sorry. I no knowledge of importing 25 yr old vehicles. Just thought this was the place to discuss this type of topic.

I believe Slade was referring to the Rovers North Thread you linked.

ECR has the DOT link on their site. Research the topic it and decide if you and your bank account actually want to take the plunge...

Just soo many threads on this topic have been posted on all the Land Rover BBSs and some are horrific in the amountt of wishful thinking and just plain ignorance there is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles