25 Year Old Land Rovers

Mercedesrover

Explorer
I don't think you'll see a big influx of them. 25-year old trucks coming out of the UK are pretty well shot. If someone is smart enough to start bringing them in from Saudi Arabia or Australia of somewhere they don't rust you would have something. 25 years in the damp UK is pretty tough on them.

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
Scott,

Thank you for the update. I figure there was a thread were this subject was discussed but I had not seen it.

With the 25 year rule, I was assuming that someone (corporate or individual) would start bringing them over. I will be watching this closely to see what iterations hit the market and how much they are.

A 110 with a diesel and manual transmission would be fun to have.

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
Mercedesrover,

I would hope the improters would be smart enough to bring them from somewhere that would help the vehicle be in fair condition. Plus it would be nice if it was Left Hand Drive version.

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
Let's play the wish list game. If one came over and you were going to have any iteration of diesel engine and manual transmission put in to a 110, what would it be? Also, only Landrover Engines and trannys.

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
I just thought for expedition work it would be best to have OEM parts that would be easily sourced for the specific vehicle it was in.

Mercedesrover

Explorer
Beowulf said:
I just thought for expedition work it would be best to have OEM parts that would be easily sourced for the specific vehicle it was in.

I'll take my common Mercedes diesels with a timing chain and a common, bullet-proof Ford tranny against an odd-ball, never imported diesel with a timing belt and a questionable at-best Rover tranny. (No offense intended...)

Ray_G

Explorer
It appears that ECR is, in fact, bringing a few over:
http://www.d-90.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16950

There are also some being brought over by various folks on both sides of the pond-you can find them easier on D-90.com or Dweb.

A buddy of mine got a gem of a 110 w/300TDi & R380 in it, it has some issues but his seems to be the exception vice the rule-as many put it, finding a 25 year old Landy from the UK in good condition is like finding a 1983 Chevy pickup in New England in good condition...they exist, but are few are far between.

That being said, I think as the years go by there will be more examples and that will help those looking for these vehicles that haven't wanted to pay the premium (deserved) on the 1993 110's. I for one am looking forward to getting ahold of an ex-MOD 110 one day, but that's on the back burner for now.
r-
Ray

EricWS

Observer
Beowulf said:
Scott,

Thank you for the update. I figure there was a thread were this subject was discussed but I had not seen it.

With the 25 year rule, I was assuming that someone (corporate or individual) would start bringing them over. I will be watching this closely to see what iterations hit the market and how much they are.

A 110 with a diesel and manual transmission would be fun to have.

Dividing Creek Rovers has brought over quite a few. ECR has had several on their site for sale.

Price tage is still to high for them, IMO. ECR has one for 17k. For a used 110. And ugly used 110.

Personally, I would take Merc Jim's route for that kind of cash and refurb a 109 myself. You'd get much more for the dollar than just buying a 110. Buy a nice designa coil chasis set up for a 300tdi and R380 or whatever else floatas your boat. Maybe a cummins a la Mr Cooper.

Yorker

Adventurer
Mercedesrover said:
I don't think you'll see a big influx of them. 25-year old trucks coming out of the UK are pretty well shot. If someone is smart enough to start bringing them in from Saudi Arabia or Australia of somewhere they don't rust you would have something. 25 years in the damp UK is pretty tough on them.

www.saudiaramco.com

I've seen pictures of ARAMCO's Vehicle graveyards they are amazing. Someone should figure out how to get them over here- they do have a surplus of containers over there too IIRC...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles