The Goony Bird

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:smileeek: Looking realy good and my compliments on using the airmattress, instead of the foam

There are 500 choices for airmatts and the same for the DC compressors, but you'll figure that one out

I'm over equiped , I've got two little HANDY airpumps, a POWERSTATION, and a high pressure Q89 for the tires

Your camper will suit you untill the next phase--Good job

:safari-rig: :safari-rig: JIMBO

rusty_tlc

Explorer
JIMBO said:
:smileeek: Looking realy good and my compliments on using the airmattress, instead of the foam

There are 500 choices for airmatts and the same for the DC compressors, but you'll figure that one out

I'm over equiped , I've got two little HANDY airpumps, a POWERSTATION, and a high pressure Q89 for the tires

Your camper will suit you untill the next phase--Good job

:safari-rig: :safari-rig: JIMBO
The air matt's worked out well. I can see where we will need to add a layer of insulation underneth in colder weather.

Right now we use an Ozark Trails HVLP pump that came with one of the matteresses. It's holding up okay, I think I'll adapt it to 12V so we don't need D cell batteries. I also carry a Harbor Freight $50 pump for the tires.

rusty_tlc

Explorer
Okay this last weekend was the first real test. Many miles of dirt, gravel and sand roads were covered.

I need some ideas on suspension. Keep in mind we will be selling this trailer within a year or two so cost is an issue.

What we discovered this weekend was that while the suspension did well on many types of washboard there were some sections of road that caused it to hop pretty badly. The system needs some kind of damping.

We also came out with a whole new laundry list of minor mods and improvments that need to be done. I'll post up some pictures as those progress.

Last edited:

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
How many leaves in the springs?
I'm thinking that you could remove some or all except for the main leaves and supplement with the cheep style of air spring. And then add some dampers of some sort.

Oh, perhaps even better (less $$ and still effective) would be to remove some leaves and just go with some air shocks.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:Mechanic: I've got ProComps AT's on my X at 40psi

PICT0009.jpg

And ProComps AT's on my trailer, I droppped the air pressure to 28 psi and the trailer doesn't bounce or shudder on washboard, think ABOUT THAT

MAKES A HELL OF A DIFFERENCE ON GRAVEL/DIRT ROAD HANDLING

:gunt: :26_7_2: JIMBO

rusty_tlc

Explorer
JIMBO said:
:Mechanic: I've got ProComps AT's on my X at 40psi

And ProComps AT's on my trailer, I droppped the air pressure to 28 psi and the trailer doesn't bounce or shudder on washboard, think ABOUT THAT

MAKES A HELL OF A DIFFERENCE ON GRAVEL/DIRT ROAD HANDLING

:gunt: :26_7_2: JIMBO

Yeah I need to play with tire pressure before I jump into suspension mods. A friend remeinded me of that this morning. DOn't know why I didn't think of it myself. :doh:

rusty_tlc

Explorer
Cross posting a couple of pictures from the Mud trip thread.
DSCN0951.jpg

No we did not make it, six guys actually picked the trailer up and jacked it sideways to help me get turned around.

DSCN0963.jpg

This more what we had in mind for this trailer.

elcoyote

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0004
Looks like the route from Saline Warm Springs to Eureka Sand Dunes...Dedekera Canyon & Steel Pass?

rusty_tlc

Explorer
elcoyote said:
Looks like the route from Saline Warm Springs to Eureka Sand Dunes...Dedekera Canyon & Steel Pass?
Exactly. We will go back sans trailer or with a trailer better suited to the trail.

rusty_tlc

Explorer
Dave said:
What kept you from making it through? Trailer body too wide?
Exactly. The group could have shifted the trailer and we might have squeaked through without damage.
That was the approach to the first of four ledges, it would have been a long day just getting through those, never mind the other section of class III trail.
I want to keep the trailer in decent shape so I can sell it in a year or so.

Dave

Explorer
That's one of the characteristics that attracted me to our Fleetwood Neon. The tires are outboard the trailer body and the track width is pretty much the same as my truck. Quite the sacrifice on interior space, but it comes in handy when getting through tight spots.

rusty_tlc

Explorer
Dave said:
That's one of the characteristics that attracted me to our Fleetwood Neon. The tires are outboard the trailer body and the track width is pretty much the same as my truck. Quite the sacrifice on interior space, but it comes in handy when getting through tight spots.
We looked at the neon.
No fridge, heat or sink kinda killed the deal.

Cruiser

Adventurer
rusty_tlc said:
We looked at the neon.
No fridge, heat or sink kinda killed the deal.

Thats odd,, the neons that I have seen all had heat,, no fridge,, but the frigde would have to be so small if built in I'd rather a good fridge.. and The one I looked at had a sink also,, just the pump handle,, no pressure.. It be easy to add these things tho.. and if done right would be better than usually comes in pop-ups..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles