The Goony Bird

JCMatthews

Tour Guide
Just read through your entire thread, makes me miss my old Skamper. My Skamper was on its last leg so it is okay that it is gone. I am glad that you are posting about this trailer again. Keep it coming.

rusty_tlc

Explorer
Thanks for the comments. Not much new in the way of mods so I haven't been posting.
Here is a picture from our recent trip, haveing the trailer lifted alloweds us to take a dirt road that cut about 75 miles off our drive.

Hyde Well NV

DSCN2543.jpg

rusty_tlc

Explorer
One thing we have found in the past couple of years is that in high winds the top will sway quite a bit. To prevent damage we typically open the windows up and let the wind pass through. This is fine if the weather is warm, not so good if it is cold or dusty.

Our plan is to add a tie down at each corner on the roof section then guy the top out if high winds are expected.

rusty_tlc

Explorer
Update

This year we did an axle upgrade, not by choice. The factory axle finally bent which resulted in chewing through all three tires. The springs had also assumed a shape closer to "W" than and arc. I had a shop do the work because of time constraints and all told it was over $1200 for the axle springs and three new tires.

silvrzuki77

explorer
Nice! Another trailer build! We are heading down to death valley hopefully for thanksgiving. As long as I finish in time.
usudysy2.jpg
yvy6urav.jpg

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
I thought the plan was to sell the thing after a year or two, but its still here after 6 years. lol. Might as well sink some money into making it perfect.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94