The Goony Bird

rusty_tlc

Explorer
We have been looking for a small tent trailer for a while now and a couple of weeks ago we came across this one. It was priced right and the right size so we pulled the trigger.

DSCN0891.jpg

DSCN0892.jpg

This size is seldom seen on new RV lots around here and the typical used ones are trashed and/or over priced. This one was in good shape.

Of course the wheel barrow tires would have to go.

DSCN0899.jpg

rusty_tlc

Explorer
New spring seats
DSCN0898.jpg

Ready to pull the axle
DSCN0901.jpg

This is why you can't just filp the axle, it has camber built into it.
DSCN0902.jpg

You have to weld new spring seats on top of the axle.
DSCN0907.jpg

Replacing the u-bolts is a good idea at this point.
DSCN0906.jpg

rusty_tlc

Explorer
Next step was to replace the 4 on 4" hubs with 5 on 4.5" hubs and upgrade the wheels to 14". We also stripped off the cheesy factory pin stripes.
DSCN0918.jpg

New hubs/wheels in place
DSCN0919.jpg

It's not exactly what we want but until there is a better alternative on the market it will do.

rusty_tlc

Explorer
The foam in the bed areas was a bit funky, it is destined for a land fill.
We really didn't think 3" of open cell foam would be all that comfortable anyway so the plan is to use air mattresses.
The raw plywood has to many splinters
DSCN0912.jpg

So I got a couple of pieces of commercial grade carpet and covered the bed areas
DSCN0914.jpg

The Harbor Freight $19 air stapler paid for itself, again.

pint

Adventurer
Sweet...another pop-up build! I'm going to be doing this next spring. Can't wait for more updates! Nice work so far. How many does that baby sleep?

burke

Observer
Glad to see you are doing the spring over the right way. I've had two older coleman tent trailers and I flipped the axle and put a larger tires on both. I never had a problem running the axle upside down but always though I should have welded new spring perches on.

rusty_tlc

Explorer
pint said:
Sweet...another pop-up build! I'm going to be doing this next spring. Can't wait for more updates! Nice work so far. How many does that baby sleep?
Two. :sombrero:

It has two queenish size beds in the wings and the dinette can make out to a single.

rusty_tlc

Explorer
burke said:
Glad to see you are doing the spring over the right way. I've had two older coleman tent trailers and I flipped the axle and put a larger tires on both. I never had a problem running the axle upside down but always though I should have welded new spring perches on.
The only problem would be uneven wear on the tires. The Spring seats were $5 each and Chicago metal fab did the welding free. For an extra $10 and 30 minutes it was worth it for me.

rusty_tlc

Explorer
TheGillz said:
Nice looking unit! Well done.
Thanks.
It's nothing like your trailer but it will do for now. We probably won't do a lot more. Maybe some protection in the rear for steep departure angles.

And some rocker protection.

And a few area lights.

And an Engle.

Dam!

It's another never ending project! :eek:

Lynn

Expedition Leader
If you still haven’t decided on replacement mattresses, take a look at futon mattresses. They are about 3” thick, come in a wide variety of sizes, and a good quality one is very comfortable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior