Land Rover National Rally Moab 08 Pictures

frans

Adventurer
FourByLand said:
Take for instance the license plate being held on by what looks like the bungee cord to hold the hi-lift handle in place and a zip tie or the hi-lift jack... when was the last time you think it was serviced? I am not saying he is a bad, bad man I just think that from the looks of his truck that he should show a little "pride of ownership".

I have a thought (or two) to share in this conversation. I also think this conversation is very germane to the idea of 'expedition travel', and safety.
A person just cannot tell from the looks of a vehicle, if that vehicle can, or cannot, carry the person through 'hell' and back. But odds are it can. IF that person is out there in the middle of nowhere with you. (the rigs that cannot make it, usually don't make it that far)

In my experience, it is often the person who lives and works with the vehicle who is able to truly use it in an 'expedition' setting. All too often I have seen that high dollar 'poser' rig stranded and then rescued by the the person with some beat up rig who 'just happens' to have that essential part necessary to get the rig moving again.
May be dirty, may be totally beat (jacked), but all too often that very rig is functional, and keeps on working where others fail.

Who knows? that bungee cord or baling wire holding the license plate just might be the exact part you need to wire up your exhaust or something to get you back to the main road!

Folks are usually ready to help out a fellow who needs it on the trail, and , if you are traveling behind him and bits of his rig fall off, you can return the favor and pick them up! I am sure you would get a warm thanks when you all stop and re-group. :)

And I bet that if that high-lift jack needs a spot of grease to help it along, that guy prob. has a dab or two of grease right at hand!

-Function over form-

Last edited:

Dmarchand

Adventurer
EricWS said:
No, because it's jacked. I use my trucks as intended. Some of us don't ascribe to the "It's a land rover and A) it's supposed to leak, and B) it's supposed to be abused and look abused part. Doens't have to be shiney and new but a little pride in ownership goes along way.

You are mistaking pride in ownership with what ones priorities are. Clearly his priorities are not a shiny truck, not a perfect license plate, etc. He was certainly prideful. How else do you explain traveling from BC to Utah for the Rally?

The dude was there, and you were not. His pride can't be questioned.

Dmarchand

Adventurer
revor said:
Nice Tour!!

So I tried to call you back after a cryptic call.... What Happened?

Sorry Keith! It was a little difficult to get reception in the Lake City area. Had a driveshaft failing but thought it was my CV's at first. Was calling about CV's. Later that night in Ouray I figured out it was the driveshaft. Just drove the rest of the trip without it.

revor

Explorer
Dmarchand said:
Sorry Keith! It was a little difficult to get reception in the Lake City area. Had a driveshaft failing but thought it was my CV's at first. Was calling about CV's. Later that night in Ouray I figured out it was the driveshaft. Just drove the rest of the trip without it.

Good to know.. I didn't want to see you stranded if I could help but I could never get a connection to your cell again.

Oilburner

Adventurer
FourByLand said:
I am referring to the asthetics of the vehicle itself. I have no idea who this guy is and if he beats his wfe and kids or not, I don't care about that but I am not going to oohhh and aahhh a beat up Range Rover... I think it's wrong for people to assume that because it "appears" used and abused that it's being used for what it's intended purpose is. I think that's wrong. Take for instance the license plate being held on by what looks like the bungee cord to hold the hi-lift handle in place and a zip tie or the hi-lift jack... when was the last time you think it was serviced? I am not saying he is a bad, bad man I just think that from the looks of his truck that he should show a little "pride of ownership".

Sorry to flog a dead horse, but... Serviced?

Anyone who takes an early RR on a 4000 mile round-trip for off-roading probably doesn't let anyone touch their truck, let alone pay some idiot for "servicing". That Rover V8 has carburetors and a great big 4 speed manual that would mystify any dealer LR mechanic, except for maybe a few diehards, and even then LRNA has no parts support for it. The WHOLE POINT is that it doesn't GET serviced! The owner takes care of everything, that's the beauty of owning a Land-Rover that isn't polluted with all kinds of electronic crap. No scan tool, no testbook, no electrical gremlins. No filler, all business.

Wheeling in the PNW (and most of Canada) does not equate with a "shiny" truck. There is absolutely no way to keep a vehicle looking shiny and new when you are constantly driving through tight bush, with tree branches scraping away at the bodywork. BC has harsh winters, and mountainous terrain. I looked over that truck and it kicked ***. It had a galvanized tailgate, it ran great, and it made the trip no problem. On top of it, you could actually take if off-road, sink it in a river, and have a hope of driving it home. You could drive it to Belize and not worry about burning up an ECU or having a power window regulator break on you or the electronic door locks stop working.

I'd bet this guy has a lot more "pride of ownership" than the guys who are ragging on his rig. He can probably tell you stories of all the trips that truck has been on. Anyone who drives a 4 speed rangie from Moab to BC is good in my books. His truck would probably stand a chance of following me around in the Canadian bush!

The reason the plate is bungeed on is that it gets removed when off-road. I have learned my lesson and lost a front plate (got ripped off by a branch I guess) and had to take a 10 km motorcycle ride to find it... In a mudhole half submerged. Now my front plate comes off everytime I am far off the beaten path.

Sorry if anyone thinks my comments are off-colour.

James86004

Expedition Leader
So, did anyone define "jacked"? When I was in high school, it was a compliment, but that was before the Berlin Wall fell.

FourByLand

Expedition Leader
Oilburner said:
Sorry to flog a dead horse, but... Serviced?

Anyone who takes an early RR on a 4000 mile round-trip for off-roading probably doesn't let anyone touch their truck, let alone pay some idiot for "servicing". That Rover V8 has carburetors and a great big 4 speed manual that would mystify any dealer LR mechanic, except for maybe a few diehards, and even then LRNA has no parts support for it. The WHOLE POINT is that it doesn't GET serviced! The owner takes care of everything, that's the beauty of owning a Land-Rover that isn't polluted with all kinds of electronic crap. No scan tool, no testbook, no electrical gremlins. No filler, all business.

Wheeling in the PNW (and most of Canada) does not equate with a "shiny" truck. There is absolutely no way to keep a vehicle looking shiny and new when you are constantly driving through tight bush, with tree branches scraping away at the bodywork. BC has harsh winters, and mountainous terrain. I looked over that truck and it kicked ***. It had a galvanized tailgate, it ran great, and it made the trip no problem. On top of it, you could actually take if off-road, sink it in a river, and have a hope of driving it home. You could drive it to Belize and not worry about burning up an ECU or having a power window regulator break on you or the electronic door locks stop working.

I'd bet this guy has a lot more "pride of ownership" than the guys who are ragging on his rig. He can probably tell you stories of all the trips that truck has been on. Anyone who drives a 4 speed rangie from Moab to BC is good in my books. His truck would probably stand a chance of following me around in the Canadian bush!

The reason the plate is bungeed on is that it gets removed when off-road. I have learned my lesson and lost a front plate (got ripped off by a branch I guess) and had to take a 10 km motorcycle ride to find it... In a mudhole half submerged. Now my front plate comes off everytime I am far off the beaten path.

Sorry if anyone thinks my comments are off-colour.

For the second time I am not judging this guy I have no idea who he is and don't care. I was asking when YOU thought the last time the Hi-lift was serviced. NO, not serviced like you take your car to the dealership to get serviced but serviced as in taken apart to ensure the springs and pins are in working order. I don't have a front plate but if I did I would probably just figure out a secure way to bolt it to the brush guard so not to loose it again.

FourByLand

Expedition Leader
James86004 said:
So, did anyone define "jacked"? When I was in high school, it was a compliment, but that was before the Berlin Wall fell.

Means something is messed up... for example, "Man his teeth are JACKED!"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles