My Rover

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
I'm loving that rack you made; it just makes sense. I never understood the half rack on the back half of the roof of a Disco, why make it even taller?

What tube bender did you use to build it? Is your front sunroof still functional?

DiscoveryXD

Adventurer
I'm loving that rack you made; it just makes sense. I never understood the half rack on the back half of the roof of a Disco, why make it even taller?

What tube bender did you use to build it? Is your front sunroof still functional?

Thanks Adam. I used a JD2 Model 3. Here's a picture.... The stand sells for $100, so I just built my own. I'm going to put a ram on it eventually, but it was really easy to bend the tubing by hand.

My truck is a special edition vehicle that came with the low profile rack on it, so I don't have any sunroofs.

bender___.jpg

blakesrover

Observer
nice work on the stand. so heres what i've got after digging through our construction yard. Arc welder thats still in working order. A table vice..pretty heavy duty, and a bench mounted grinder with opposite wheels. I have a few makitas with carborundum blades but might have a larger one that could be used for grinding down the welds. what blade would i need for that?

from what i can tell, i'll need something to be able to cut my templates in the steel; plasma cutter? what would give me clean cuts cut? also I'll need a bender of some sort...i'm liking the one you have discoXD; seems to be reliable from what little research i did. Anything else that I might be in dire need of and just dont know about at this time?

All of this will be for under-armor on the truck...i.e. sliders, diff gaurds, pinion guard, ect just to give an idea of what i'm looking to accomplish. already i'm wondering what method to use in order to match the frame of the truck. it has a slight bow in it. my plan is to use a 2.5" x 2.5" square tube welded to a plate which will then bolt to the sill. any thoughts or opinions? i'm open for help:drool: haha

michaels

Explorer
a plasma cutter is great, especially for cutter weird angles or curves. i have one. i'll never go back to just using a saw.

you'll want a grinder for grinding down the welds for a clean look.

use 3" X 5" 3/16" wall tubing for bolting to the sill. then use 2x3 or 2x4" tube welded to that to protect the doors.

blakesrover

Observer
is that what you did here? so theres another 3x5'" 3/16" tubing tucked behind there (hiding) giving you 2 tubes? or is this a single tube welded to a plate then bolted to the sill? i assumed it was one bar bolted to a sill plate

Attachments

• DSC_0033.jpg
    DSC_0033.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 94
  • DSC_0034.jpg
    DSC_0034.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 76

Toy-Roverlander

Adventurer
Hi guys,

I noticed the Toyo diff being mated to the Rover axle housing.
First time I evr saw this being done was on Mercedesrover or Rovermercedes his website..

I usually search around internet for stuff about Land Rovers and everything that has to do with them.

And I came across this site: http://www.mcnamaradiffs.com.au/hypoid1.html

It's a company based in Australia and they do vaccuum operated hypoid diffs that fit straight into the Rover axle housing.

I'm sure the price will be interesting to say the least, but how would it compare to the work and time involved in fitting a Toyo diff?

Awesome Disco by the way!!

michaels

Explorer
is that what you did here? so theres another 3x5'" 3/16" tubing tucked behind there (hiding) giving you 2 tubes? or is this a single tube welded to a plate then bolted to the sill? i assumed it was one bar bolted to a sill plate

ewww....those welds look nasty. good thing i'm making a new set soon.

blakesrover

Observer
they look better the further you zoom out...but then again i can't talk. Elmers glue will probably hold better than my welds. I can't wait to post a thread of slider flying off and cuasing a 42 car pile up:smiley_drive:

revor

Explorer
Hi guys,

First time I evr saw this being done was on Mercedesrover or Rovermercedes his website..

I usually search around internet for stuff about Land Rovers and everything that has to do with them.

It's a company based in Australia and they do vaccuum operated hypoid diffs that fit straight into the Rover axle housing.

I'm sure the price will be interesting to say the least, but how would it compare to the work and time involved in fitting a Toyo diff?

The Toy diff thing here is sort of s Sweat equity thing.. You can buy a McNamara diff for a few grand for one or buy two toy diff and stuff them in Rover housings in about 5 hours each (including pulling the housings from the car) I've actually done an entire conversion in 10 hours including machine work.
Also the Jac Mac diff is based on the 4 cylinder diff with the smaller carrier bearings.
At this point I've only sent four or five kits to Europe and a half dozen to Australia but we've done 30 conversions here in the States truely a great setup.
To do the DIY kit you need to do a bit of welding and a bit of drilling and grinding. There is lathe work involved, it is simple stuff.

DiscoveryXD

Adventurer
Hi guys,

I went with Keiths conversion, and it's been great. It was way easy and shouldn't be a problem for anyone with some tools and basic shop skills. Keith answered all my questions on the phone before I tackled the job, and there's others out there on the forums that can help too.

here's a little writeup i did on a local forum. http://www.reno4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21708

Toy-Roverlander

Adventurer
That's quite interesting. The Jack Mac site doesn't quote any prices (probably for a reason ;) ) and I didn't know they where that expensive. After that you still have to have it shipped, not cheap either.

It's an awesome idea actually, you get electric lockers instead of air operated ones (I don't like the extra expense of a compressor and the whole lot and the extra room it takes in) and it's factort toyota stuff in the diff..

For an expedition it would be very good. And I assume the custom halfshaft are a fair bit stronger anyway so no worries about breaking them with an NA diesel in the front.

I'll keep it in mind, just in case... It would be interesting to have one in my Range Rover rear axle (fitted to a Series). Do you do halfshafts for them as well?

revor

Explorer
An RRC axle is now problem provided the stubs and hubs are from a 1996 or later Land Rover. The thing is that the later model stubs dimensionally lend themselves to the boring that needs to happen to get the 30 spline axles through. The flats for the bearing retainer nut washer is cut deeper on the earlier stub axles leaving that area too thin for my taste after boring.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles