My Rover

DiscoveryXD

Adventurer
locrwln said:
Glad to see you made it over the Expo world, welcome. By the way nice rig.:bowdown:

Jack

thanks Jack. I talked to andy about the diff. He said he's trying to get ahold of a guy in tahoe who has the same setup. He says this guy has some spare diffs, and maybe I'll be able to grab one and put my locker in it. Hopefully I'll be able to make a run out in the desert with you guys sometime soon.

Bergger

Explorer
DiscoveryXD said:
I did feel that way about my truck.. well, i still do, but not as much. I've been going through lots of heartake dealing with my rear diff. Don't know if you read it on dweb, but I've had 2 new diffs and both have been bad (whining when i drive) from day 1. That's kept me away from the rivers and lakes too... not to mention make me hate my truck at times. I just have to keep telling myself it's not a rover thing, just bad new parts.

pyramid lake opens up next week, that means monster cutt's!

S7300136.jpg

we should start a fly fishing thread... haha:sombrero:

That's a great photo! Fly fishing is one of my few passions. Next week I got a kitchen pass to disappear for my annual fall fly fishing trip, 2 nights and 3 days into the mountains of CO. Last year resulted in a 26" Cuttbow. I'll try to post some pics when I return. Your truck is pretty cool too!

DiscoveryXD

Adventurer
yeah I love catching those big hogs. That lake still has the world record for lahontan cutthroat trout. We normally throw larger streamers on 8wt's (with a heavy shooting line) but I was indy rigging with my 5wt while they were up in the shallows. Catching a 8-10lb fish on a 5wt is a blast.

feel free to post up some pics on this thread of some nice fish!

locrwln

Expedition Leader
DiscoveryXD said:
thanks Jack. I talked to andy about the diff. He said he's trying to get ahold of a guy in tahoe who has the same setup. He says this guy has some spare diffs, and maybe I'll be able to grab one and put my locker in it. Hopefully I'll be able to make a run out in the desert with you guys sometime soon.

Let's hope. Diff problems can be very disheartening. Keep the faith, when you get it right, there is nothing better.

Looking forward to a run, I was hoping you were going to be able to make the October run.

Jack

revor

Explorer
DiscoveryXD said:
I bought the diffs from GBR as a whole unit. Unbolt the stock ones, swap in the new ones, and send back the old ones as a core. I've had them build me 2 new rear diffs and they both have gone bad from the get go.

Put a Toy in it...

spressomon

Expedition Leader
DiscoveryXD:

Nice rig. I like your creative solutions to switch box, etc.!

Just tell that boss of yours you need next Friday off! ;-)

Dan

revor

Explorer
DiscoveryXD said:
i wish... That would cost a lot more than the lockers and gears.

Would it? not my $#s

My XD has a toy rear. total cost with HD axles cut for alloys was under 2K, It will never break in this application, period (even with a 190 HP TD5)

You are suffering from a bad set up in the diff or a bad driveline angle, this is a given, it's all basic stuff. I worry you are going too many directions at once.

I've been following your grief on DWEB, you are getting the best the board has to give.
That said.
Gimmie a call, I kinda do this alot.

DiscoveryXD

Adventurer
revor said:
Would it? not my $#s

My XD has a toy rear. total cost with HD axles cut for alloys was under 2K, It will never break in this application, period (even with a 190 HP TD5)

You are suffering from a bad set up in the diff or a bad driveline angle, this is a given, it's all basic stuff. I worry you are going too many directions at once.

I've been following your grief on DWEB, you are getting the best the board has to give.
That said.

I thought you had to cut/weld the axle housing and all that junk... plus, i didn't even know you offered that conversion until this week when i checked out your site.

I can't go back now... If I could sell my new junk and go this route, then i would.... but I couldn't afford a loss that great.

You only did the rear? the link in the tech section of your site says it's about the same cost either way before you factor in the work that needs to be done to the axle housing.

Bill is sending me a new gear set in the mail and I'm going to have a local guy put it in this week. Keeping my fingers crossed.....

DiscoveryXD

Adventurer
Keith, you have a link to your XD build? I wanna see this thing....

did you put the TD5 in? how much was that? I'm jealous....

DiscoveryXD

Adventurer
spressomon said:
DiscoveryXD:

Nice rig. I like your creative solutions to switch box, etc.!

Just tell that boss of yours you need next Friday off! ;-)

Dan

I wish, Dan...:eek: It's too late of a notice, plus another kid said he is going camping saturday.

You guys have any other trips planned in the near future?

spressomon

Expedition Leader
DiscoveryXD said:
I wish, Dan...:eek: It's too late of a notice, plus another kid said he is going camping saturday.

You guys have any other trips planned in the near future?

None scheduled yet however we typically have a run a month. And the Christmas Tree run is just around the corner (Geez that's hard to say in September :smileeek: )

Mercedesrover

Explorer
revor said:
Would it? not my $#s

You are suffering from a bad set up in the diff or a bad driveline angle, this is a given, it's all basic stuff. I worry you're are going too many directions at once.

That said.

Keith is very right about this. At best the Rover diffs are questionable but with a heavy truck or anything but moderate off-roading you're looking for trouble. It's not a question of if, it's a question of when a diff is going to fail. I think Bill does good work but he's limited with a crummy diff from the start.

What Keith makes for coil trucks, I do for leafers.

I've done Toyota conversions with electric lockers front and rear in both of my trucks and I wouldn't think of doing anything different. You solve a whole fistful of problems with one shot. A near indestructible ring and pinion and center, a locker and extremely strong axles all for not a lot of money, all things considered.

What are you running for axles right now? At this point I'd be selling that rear diff on Ebay and with the money buy a used Toyota 4.10 e-locker and have some left over. Buy a set of axles from Keith and you'll have yourself a rock-solid rear axle that you'll never have to think about again. And if time comes that you need to change gears a little bit (like me....:rolleyes: ) they're easy to find and cheap to buy.

Leave the front alone for now if money is tight. Save up and do that at a later time.

The conversion isn't difficult at all. I just went back and looked at some of your fab work....You can handle this, no problem. I little bit of welding, grinding, drilling and tapping to the face of the housing, a tiny bit of machining and drilling to the flange. I'd bet Keith would turn your flange for you if you don't have access to a lathe too.

Seriously consider this conversion. For the time, money and effort you've put into your truck it's a shame to have axles that you're always going to worry about.

My $0.02

jim

Last edited:

revor

Explorer
DiscoveryXD said:
Keith, you have a link to your XD build? I wanna see this thing....

did you put the TD5 in? how much was that? I'm jealous....

Sorry a little late.
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=584988

The Conversion cost about $6K with me doing the work It's all new for the most part, the engine has now got close to 12K on the clock, we've put on about 4K.

It's nice. I like it powerful and gets about 25 MPG in general driving, that was with the stock muffler (huge and restrictive) I've put in a Straight pipe (my wife Karen was thrilled!) and we'll see about the difference. In the end it will have a nice straight through muffler. I hope to see 28MPG.

The range is what shocks me! to get 500+ miles on a tank of fuel? Never in a Disco! Now I can.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke