Custom 'Roof Rack' for Tacoma -

Ursidae69

Expedition Leader
I used to have a ladder style rack with a shell. It was custom made by a company in Denver called Colmin-X racks. They were also a Line-X dealer.

Couple of photos, and this is an 04 Taco. They may make them for an 05.

DSCF1205.JPG

DSCF1381.jpg

laxtoy

Adventurer
one option i considered: gem top makes steel match bed canopies with integrated racks bolted directly to the side, very sturdy, up to 1000 pounds, and very low profile. http://gemtopmfg.com/ friend of mine has one on his s 10 and it works very well. has its drawbacks like price and weight, but when you consider a rack like a kargomaster is around $800 new, and are quite heavy themselves, not a bad option. the canopies themselves are very stout, and would hopefully prevent bed spread which can be a problem on tacomas

GaryMc

Explorer
Ursidae69 said:
I used to have a ladder style rack with a shell. It was custom made by a company in Denver called Colmin-X racks. They were also a Line-X dealer.

DSCF1205.JPG

DSCF1381.jpg

Chuck, do you have the contact info for Colmin? I can't find them in Denver....

fredwho

I like it.

I am thinking of having a similar custom exo canopy frame fabricated.

Would anyone know of suitable specs for the supporting flange:
1.) thickness
2.) material type.

I am investigating 6mm AISI 431 steel. The idea is to reduce thickness (weight) but also retain strength for off roading

The tubing supports I am looking at AISI 4130 ChroMoly, though I read if welded, the strength reduces and thus I may as well use mild steel.

The roof load will be the equivalent of a wheel and a can or two.

Any thoughts appreciated!

J

JWP58

DSCF1205.JPG

DSCF1381.jpg

Oh man I need a rack like that...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior