Accused of Treading "Heavily"... An Overlander's Tale.

JJackson

Explorer
Any chance he was just pissed that you might have scared some elk away? It's that time of year. I have only been through that area once and found it beautiful. The bad part is that that the areas I spend most time in have high voltage lines passing through them, but still rather scenic on occasion, plus it pays the bills. Tire carrier looks great.

kellymoe

Expedition Leader
Wow! I applaud you for keeping your cool and not firing back at him which can make matters worse most of the time. It would have been difficult for me to do the same if I had my kids in the car. Level heads must prevail in these situations. I have had similar run in's with property owners while kayaking. Last year I was getting ready to launch my kayak from a county road when the property owner pulled up and told me to leave and that he was going to call the sheriff's department on me. I bit my tongue and politely informed him that I had the right to paddle through his property as long as I stayed on the river or if I did exit my boat I must stay below the high water mark. He still didn't like the answer and insisted on calling the sheriff. I told him where I would be taking out and that the sheriff can meet me there. No sheriff and no problems since.
It pays to do your homework and to be prepared and polite when confronted.

BLKNBLU

Explorer
lowenbrau said:
even though I spend the big bucks for biodegradable, veggie based fluid, somebody will have a fit if I drip some in the dessert.

No offense, but I don't like veggie oil dripped in my dessert either. It kinda ruins the whole meal if you know what I mean... ;)

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
Nice job A-

I too had a run in with a complete irate idiot (Of all places my son's soccer game). To make a long story short, this guy went nuts over a soccer goal net (Putting it away). I told him he needed to leave and it got worst from there. To the point of him physically challenging me to a fight in front of my nine year old. After many people had tried to intervene and I gave him many warnings to leave the area I finally told him I would gladly deal with him once my son was to a safer location.

He even yelled "Oh, is that your f'n excuse?" when I said that. As soon as my son was with his grandfather I looked at him, emptied my hands and said "Ok, I'll gladly deal with you now," followed up with a courteous smirk. He looked at me and quietly walked away. All while my nine year old continued to yell "Take him to the ground dad!" I was not pleased with any of the mornings events.

My son and I had a talk, the police and I had a talk and the soccer organization and I had a talk. It's a sad day indeed when people go nuts over stuff in front of family members.

Good luck and I'm glad your family is safe.

spressomon

Expedition Leader
24HOURSOFNEVADA said:
Nice job A-

I too had a run in with a complete irate idiot (Of all places my son's soccer game). To make a long story short, this guy went nuts over a soccer goal net (Putting it away). I told him he needed to leave and it got worst from there. To the point of him physically challenging me to a fight in front of my nine year old. After many people had tried to intervene and I gave him many warnings to leave the area I finally told him I would gladly deal with him once my son was to a safer location.

He even yelled "Oh, is that your f'n excuse?" when I said that. As soon as my son was with his grandfather I looked at him, emptied my hands and said "Ok, I'll gladly deal with you now," followed up with a courteous smirk. He looked at me and quietly walked away. All while my nine year old continued to yell "Take him to the ground dad!" I was not pleased with any of the mornings events.

My son and I had a talk, the police and I had a talk and the soccer organization and I had a talk. It's a sad day indeed when people go nuts over stuff in front of family members.

Good luck and I'm glad your family is safe.

Ouch! "Mean people suck". I've always liked that bumper sticker!

MoGas

Central Scrutinizer
If you guys are wandering the forest and come across a 40ish white male wearing a leopard print banana hammock thong, don't shoot me.

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
MoGas said:
If you guys are wandering the forest and come across a 40ish white male wearing a leopard print banana hammock thong, don't shoot me.

But I really need a new rug for the office.

Michael Slade

Untitled
kellymoe said:
Wow! I applaud you for keeping your cool and not firing back at him which can make matters worse most of the time. It pays to do your homework and to be prepared and polite when confronted.

Well done, and some good advice also.

Maximus Ram

Expedition Leader
MoGas said:
Mo, you azz :hehe: , you just made me ruin my keyboard and 19" monitor at work...

anyone know how to get Mt. Dew offa monitor:jump:

jcbrandon

Explorer
kellymoe said:
...I have had similar run in's with property owners while kayaking. Last year I was getting ready to launch my kayak from a county road when the property owner pulled up and told me to leave and that he was going to call the sheriff's department on me. I bit my tongue and politely informed him that I had the right to paddle through his property as long as I stayed on the river or if I did exit my boat I must stay below the high water mark...

A couple of miles from my house is a small parcel (maybe 3 acres) of public land adjacent to the river. The county has plans for a park there eventually but no funding source in sight. It is one of the very few places in the area where the riverbank is not privately owned. It was a nice place to walk one's dog or let the kids dip their feet in the water on a hot day.

Until the ranchers downstream started complaining about the potential for a kid to fall in, drown, and be recovered on their property. Hereabouts ranchers are a vocal, and powerful, minority. So the county politicians caved in to their sources of campaign donations. Suddenly there is a fence and a bunch of keep out signs around this valuable little bit of public property. Public access to public land denied.

Doin_It

Adventurer
That's the great thing here in Alberta, you can own all the land you want around a river/creek, but 120' feet (could even be 150') on either side from high water mark is open to public access.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz