Come-along

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:archaeolo I was reading in an earlier post about chain-falls and come-alongs and I ended up getting this one

It is superhandy, I just pulled out some dead tree stumps in my back yard and I didn't have to use the PULLEY hook, all parts are either Stainless Steel or Galvanized

I can just imagine, the extended use, for an off-camber or tree/rock situation use off-road, with the PROPER use of tethers and straps

The cost was $57.89 delivered and it is a husky sucker, it fits perfectly in my TENTRAX trailer

:safari-rig: :smileeek: :smileeek: JIMBO

GCRad1

Adventurer
Come-Along's

In my youth, we did a lot of pulling the old 2WD fire wood truck out of the mud with these. I have one now in the FJ80 until I get my proper front wench. But I will most likely keep it on the rig along with the front wench... never know.

teotwaki

Excelsior!
JIMBO said:
:archaeolo I was reading in an earlier post about chain-falls and come-alongs and I ended up getting this one

It is superhandy, I just pulled out some dead tree stumps in my back yard and I didn't have to use the PULLEY hook, all parts are either Stainless Steel or Galvanized

I can just imagine, the extended use, for an off-camber or tree/rock situation use off-road, with the PROPER use of tethers and straps

The cost was $57.89 delivered and it is a husky sucker, it fits perfectly in my TENTRAX trailer

:safari-rig: :smileeek: :smileeek: JIMBO

Wow! There is even a customer who submitted an Oct 4th review about pulling tree stumps....could it be? :sombrero:

"Sat Oct 04, 2008 06:35:54 AM
I purchased this tool, to use in my off-road ventures, because I don't have a winch I haven't used it yet, off-road, BUT I used it to pull some tree stumps out of my back yard and it is SIMPLE, EFFECTIVE and functions very well, I have no fear or worries, for it's use as intended I recommend it"

(Nice find!)
http://www.arizonatools.com/detail/AZT662/

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
Be very careful with low priced come-alongs. For the most part they are poorly made and I'd never use one for more than 1/2 the rated load, and even then they make me nervous.
When I was a rigger we used come-alongs a lot, but always made sure we had heavy duty ones, which aren't cheap, on the order of $200.
3343t5p1l.gif

teotwaki

Excelsior!
Antichrist said:
Be very careful with low priced come-alongs. For the most part they are poorly made and I'd never use one for more than 1/2 the rated load, and even then they make me nervous.
When I was a rigger we used come-alongs a lot, but always made sure we had heavy duty ones, which aren't cheap, on the order of $200.
3343t5p1l.gif

I have one of those cheapies out in the garage. Rarely use it as it jams frequently and I have not had enough of a need to buy a really good one. However, it would be nice to see some sources for good ones and what to look for. I know that I can use my Hi Lift as a come-along but that seems really awkward.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
teotwaki said:
...However, it would be nice to see some sources for good ones and what to look for...

Look into Maasdam (US Made), ARB's Magnum Hand Winch, the Tirfor and Black Rat options, etc.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
slooowr6 said:
Here is a 3 ton Maasdam on Amazon,
http://www.amazon.com/Maasdam-CAL-3...UTF8&coliid=I1A4MMU3WF1CSI&colid=53AY5QI4Y6E9

Can't find any spec on the unit other than it's a 3 ton. Is this one worth considering?

I'm honestly not too familiar with their "lighter duty" stuff, that looks pretty generic too me and interestingly enough doesn't say its US made. This is the unit I'm familiar with:
http://www.amazon.com/Maasdam-8000S...f=sr_1_22?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1224101028&sr=1-22

WJinTRSC

Adventurer
I've got a 4 ton come-along from Norther Tool and Equipment. It's great and I've pulled the Jeep and my old ranger out of sticky situations. Very handy if you know what you're doing; especially with the pulley. Plus it's an awful lot cheaper and lighter then a winch. Mom bought it for me while I was in high school; I think more for her sanity and sense of security than mine.

slooowr6

Explorer
jsmoriss said:
The Maasdam come-alongs are listed at the end of their catalog:

http://www.pullr.com/P_Cat 0808.pdf

There are quite a few different options, depending on what you need.

js.

Thanks for the pointer.

Not sure what this means "Automatic let-down with safety catch" for the CAL-3? The heavy duty ones has "Notch at a time let down". It seems the heavy duty ones will hold the load in either direction, i.e. the winch works on both pull and drop. Not sure if CAL-3 will do the same.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94