Snow chains on 4 x 4 trucks.

Capt Eddie

Adventurer
Being from Louisiana my adult life I have not been around people using snow chains. I have a 4 x 4 Dual wheel truck and plan on going in more snow locations this year than ever before. I have drove on roads in snow without chains without problems. I plan on going to more remote areas and would like some tips on the uses of snow chain on this type of truck. I have read that duals are bad in snow. Should I chain up all rear wheels or rear and front? I do have a Lance camper for weight.

KSJeep

Explorer
I can't tell you the affects of a duely and chains, but there areas that require chains on all vehicles 4x4 or not. I would say, plan ahead and get a set. Better to have them and not need them then travel 1000 miles and then need them and not have them. The CA mountains come to mind after a good winter snow.

Chains are not really necessary for a 4X4 unless one is heading thru deep (>1 foot) snow or on incredibly slick water-on-glare ice. In Alaska nobody uses chains in the winter except for road graders, and occaisonal snowplowers.
Having said that, one must drive on snow and ice VERY carefully. Coefficient of friction can be 0.10 or even 0.05 instead of ~1.0 on dry pavement or ~0.5-0.7 on rainy pavement. Accelerate slowly and most important brake gradually and even more most importantly decrease speed - sometimes drastically. Increase following distances - drastically. Use 4WD at all times; it even helps braking slightly.
Do not rely on ABS and electronic stability control.
If you choose to use chains and have 4 of them use a pair on the front and a pair on the outer rears.

Charlie

Maximus Ram

Expedition Leader
If traveling through California, you may not need them, but better at least have some for your vehicle if and when the CHP require them. I have heard of people in 4x4 vehicle being at least checked for before being allowed to proceed in some areas.
I found a set on craigslist for my 315/75/16 BFG M/Ts just in case....better safe than sorry.
Also picked a set for the XJ off of craigslist.....if I can find them cheap, I'll get a second set for both vehicles, too.....

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
I live in the California Sierras, and snow storms and road controls are a part of life around here.

There are 3 levels of requirements:
* R1: Chains, traction devices or snow tires are required on the drive axle of all vehicles except four wheel/ all wheel drive vehicles.
* R2: Chains or traction devices are required on all vehicles except four wheel/ all wheel drive vehicles with snow-tread tires on all four wheels.
(NOTE: Four wheel/all wheel drive vehicles must carry traction devices in chain control areas.)
* R3: Chains or traction devices are required on all vehicles, no exceptions.

For all practical purposes under R3 conditions you should just stay at home, or be in a motel.

4x4's do fine under R2 and R1 if they have snow tires. The larger the vehicle the more difficult they are to handle in snow and ice.

Unfortunately we have a lot of people driving around who are not used to snow, and many of them can be hazardous to your health. I think this is why California DOT puts up chain controls at the first sight of snow.

Nevada on the other hand just tells drivers that snow tires and or chains are required and then leave it up to the driver.

As far as chains go, a single set on the rear, I use the type with the diamond pattern. If you had a second set they would go one the front tires to aid with steering and traction.

If you are running chains front and rear you either shouldn't be on the road, or you are extracting yourself from a difficult situation and are heading back home or to a Motel.

Capt Eddie

Adventurer
I will be traveling thru the Rockys this winter and see the chain up areas. Are chains mandetory in these areas? I wil be going from NM to Canada.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:Mechanic: Martyn has it NAILED

I learned to drive in snow, when I had my tire shop in PARADISE , Ca, 4x4 club/ SAR/ Sheriff dept.

I've used the chains ONCE, since then and I got the CAM-LOC CHAINS and I use them on the rear, mainly because I can elock the rear end sometimes the CHP officer just won't let you go without installing them

:camping: :camping: JIMBO

Schattenjager

Expedition Leader
This is too easy - would you be sorry for having them in the truck?
Would ever be sorry for not having them?
Most of the mandatory chain-ups are for semi trucks, but the thing about the rockies are the STEEP grades and thinner air. Your rig is gonna work hard to climb them in 4X6. If your tires are not sever rated (the snow flake in a triangle stamped on the side wall) then you would be VERY wise to grab a set.

http://www.bb4wa.com/articles/Chains.htm

RUDD makes a great set of chains that are ridiculously easy to put on - which is important in cold, snowy conditions with crazy folks skidding around you. if interested you can get them from the legendary off-road instructor - and really good guy - Bill Burke.

www.bb4wa.com

Not sure if any forum sponsors carry them... I am going to order a set tomorrow for my new 255/85's and beat the rush.

Aspen area got about 3 inches of snow last night!

Last edited:

Lynn

Expedition Leader
I grew up in CO, and used chains a few times. Sometimes I just laid 'em out in front of the tires to get going again. I had a 'chain up after I get stuck' attitude, which is probably the wrong way to look at it.

I was always told that if you have a 4x4 and only one set of chains, you should put 'em on the front and, of course, use 4wd. Makes sense to me, (better steering control, more traction) but maybe someone here can point out a flaw in that logic.

Remember that 4wd, even with good tires, doesn't really help when it comes to stopping. Chains can be a lot better (using engine braking), but the main thing is to limit your speed. I know I'm probably preaching to the choir here, but I've seen way too many idiots in 4x4s driving far too fast on ice.

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Lynn said:
I was always told that if you have a 4x4 and only one set of chains, you should put 'em on the front and, of course, use 4wd. Makes sense to me, (better steering control, more traction) but maybe someone here can point out a flaw in that logic.

Most of the computer controlled 4WD systems alter the power to the front and back axles with most of the power normally going to the rear.

If you chain up the front axle you get great steering but possibly little or no drive.

Lynn

Expedition Leader
Martyn said:
Most of the computer controlled 4WD systems alter the power to the front and back axles with most of the power normally going to the rear.

If you chain up the front axle you get great steering but possibly little or no drive.

Ahhh...

Good think I've never owned a computer-controlled 4wd system, then.

FusoFG

Adventurer
Chains are great for 4x4 dual wheels in unplowed snow or mud.

That's why you see them on 4x4 skidders used by loggers off road.

Get regular chains for the front and special dual wheel chains that cover the inner and outer wheel with one chain. I got mine at Napa.

They will improve traction tremendously.

madizell

Explorer
After driving in snow and mud in Michigan, Illinois, Iowa, and Alaska for the past 42 year, I have to say that I don't and won't use tire chains. Period. I gave away something like 4 sets of chains when I moved from Alaska last year because they had set around the place for more than 20 years unused. If you need chains to get there, you probably don't need to go there, or need to review your driving style and tires.

Case in point -- back in 2003 a companion and I (prepping our vehicles for the 2003 Outback Challenge by driving out to Knik Glacier and back in February) drove our Jeeps past one of the local 4x4 clubs who were bogged at the bottom of a long icy hill with a nice curve in the middle. They were taking turns getting half way up and sliding backwards all the way down, and that included those using chains. The two of us each drove up the hill using no more than 4 wheel drive, no lockers, and Swamper TSL's which do not have a reputation of being a snow and ice tire.

One of the other club guys was standing on the side of the trail near the top taking videos. As I drove by, he asked how the heck we did that with Swampers. My answer -- "I have no idea." I saw no real problem in climbing that particular hill. You simply needed to control momentum and available traction, which was a combination of skills acquired over the years and now taken for granted.

Last edited:

travel dodge

Adventurer
I think 4 chains are great to have in a truck, they are heavy but can help out so much when you need them. I keep them on my plow truck when I am doing my driveway but take them off if I am running to town or helping out a buddy with there driveway. I can think of two times I got stuck last winter where just putting the rear chains on let me drive out of the situation without calling for help. :truck:

Capt Eddie

Adventurer
We were in Steamboat this June. We had a great time. How can you live there and not use chains on all the hills and Rabbit ear pass?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles