Camprite Camper Trailers

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
miller_au said:
as for learning the language?? well im sure after you pull up a pew and have a good yarn with ya new china plates over a dogs eye with dead horse she'll be no drama at all!
I'm still trying to run that through the translator...

Curious --- did you look at the BullOak too? I've got family in Australia and have gotten a little familiar with some of the campers down under. My nephew also lived in NZ for a while and camped the entire time (picking fruit and surfing).

elcoyote

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0004
Hilldweller said:

Curious --- did you look at the BullOak too? I've got family in Australia and have gotten a little familiar with some of the campers down under. My nephew also lived in NZ for a while and camped the entire time (picking fruit and surfing).

Deah horse = ketchup

miller_au

Adventurer
Hilldweller said:

yeah Bulloak make some sturdy looking units. I was looking at their trailers before i wanted to go down the camper road just as a general purpose trail trailer, you can always add a ebay fold out tent or a RTT later.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
miller_au said:
yeah Bulloak make some sturdy looking units. I was looking at their trailers before i wanted to go down the camper road just as a general purpose trail trailer, you can always add a ebay fold out tent or a RTT later.
I had my heart set on one for a while...
http://www.bulloakcampertrailers.com.au/index_files/Page531.htm

image2492.jpg

image5171.jpg

image6881.jpg

miller_au

Adventurer
Yes very nice! I like the side door so you can access the front section of the trailer. Deep walls and triple drawbar also a bonus!

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Well the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence.

To anchor us somewhat I'm concerned about the trailers weight. I'm also concerned with the lack of storage space once you fold everything away.

Weight and storage capacity are the number 1 & 2 concerns of our owners and potential owners.

Coming in at 780kg (1720lb) with a gross weight of 1350kg (2976lb) is heavy. It may have a little to do with the dual water tanks, but still it's an issue.

Storage capacity? I don't know what the Camprite has as far as storage capacity goes but it doesn't appear to be much. The Horizon has 54 cubic feet and the Chaser 46 cubic feet and people always want more. Our Clamshell will have around 68 cubic feet of storage, and people want more.

The good news is, it doesn't appear to be too wide as with many Australian trailers, and if the wheel wells were opened up you could fit some "normal" sized tires on it.

The amount of canvas is impressive, and a family of 4 would be well taken care of with beds, kitchen, and awning.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Martyn said:
Our Clamshell will have around 68 cubic feet of storage, and people want more.
Every time you do that, Martyn, I stop breathing for a full minute.... :wings:

I think that we envy the Aussies for their camping culture mostly, not their actual trailers. If an American attends a "camping convention" at a large metro auditorium, he will be subjected to 1,541 buses and 5th wheels.
Our brudda from down unda, in contrast, will have the pleasure of a hands-on experience with dozens and dozens of Outback-ready Indiana Jones idiom cook-with-fire (grunt grunt) trailers.

spressomon

Expedition Leader
Hilldweller said:
Every time you do that, Martyn, I stop breathing for a full minute.... :wings:

I think that we envy the Aussies for their camping culture mostly, not their actual trailers. If an American attends a "camping convention" at a large metro auditorium, he will be subjected to 1,541 buses and 5th wheels.
Our brudda from down unda, in contrast, will have the pleasure of a hands-on experience with dozens and dozens of Outback-ready Indiana Jones idiom cook-with-fire (grunt grunt) trailers.

What is interesting about the sheer selection of outback style trailers down under is the fact that Australia comprises approximately 10% of the US population. And land area is about the same as the contiguous US.

So my first question not knowing anything about Australia really: How do so few people support sooooo many trailer manufacturers/trailers/choices? And most of the trailers are in the $25,000-$50,000 price range...how does everyone afford one?

For some reason I'm having a problem "connecting the dots"...

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
10% of our population but 75% of them camp....
Fewer "second homes", etc. Total culture difference.
My friend in Queensland pulls his camper behind his motorcycle and belongs to a club that revolves around that set-up.

miller_au

Adventurer
Totally a culture thing (fellow aussies feel free to jump in/correct me, im not very good at putting thoughts into words)! I lived in the states for 9 years (tahoe) and the feeling i got was the majority of people's ideas of "camping" or ruffing it was very different to ours.

Unless you were headed up the rubicon most camp areas were paved and sectioned off with flushable toilets and filled with 5th wheelers and RV's!tents? well usually a $20 kmart dome job..

At home all of my friends and family members own middle - high end canvas touring tents and swags. Swags the great aussie getaway in my mind. I often take off into the bush with the good wife and swag its so simple we love it!

But as far as the culture thing goes, its what your brought up with i guess. We were always dragged bush as kids and i will be doing the same when mine come along. We are VERY protective of our country and OUR LAND! government bodies will try to deny access to certain places but i believe it is our birth right to go out explore and enjoy the country our grandparents fought so hard to protect!Sorry for the rant! :eek: haha

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke