$100,000 Dodge 4x4

Heimz

Observer
Yeah, those Maron-Herrington conversions were slick! They did it for every year Ford from the 30's to the 60's. They were all beautifully done with a Banjo front axle. Nick Alexander (Local BMW/Mini Dealer) has a warehouse FULL of Marmon Herringtons, and he has one from EVERY single year of production, along with a couple repeats for certain years.

Here's a '40 Ford 4x4....

640164_qDQe4-M-1.jpg

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader
Those are works of art for sure. The best thing about them is if you really get stuck you have an endless supply of fire wood!
Jason T.

77blazerchalet

Former Chalet owner
Still having fun dredging up more for this thread. I've seen this one in a couple of image searches, but now here's a little story about it from this LA Times article:
A "camperized" 1946 Mercury Marmon-Herrington Woody
Current owner Dave Holmes of Santa Monica - His Woody was first owned by Donald Bleitz, a preeminent Southern California ornithological photographer.

Traveling the Southwest to photograph local birds from the mountains to the deserts, Bleitz transformed his simple car into a practical overnighter: The back seats were removed and a folding aluminum cot was stowed on the interior roof. An extra gas tank was installed along with a stainless steel, cork-insulated ice chest for film and food. A dashboard button dispensed drinking water from a supplementary water tank. And the roof rack, which doubled as a photo shoot platform, was modified with extra ribs; folding metal steps were added on the rear.​
02photo.jpg

KD Grayson

My uncle Kurt grayson (actor) owned this 4wd woody!

Still having fun dredging up more for this thread. I've seen this one in a couple of image searches, but now here's a little story about it from this LA Times article:
A "camperized" 1946 Mercury Marmon-Herrington Woody
Current owner Dave Holmes of Santa Monica - His Woody was first owned by Donald Bleitz, a preeminent Southern California ornithological photographer.

Traveling the Southwest to photograph local birds from the mountains to the deserts, Bleitz transformed his simple car into a practical overnighter: The back seats were removed and a folding aluminum cot was stowed on the interior roof. An extra gas tank was installed along with a stainless steel, cork-insulated ice chest for film and food. A dashboard button dispensed drinking water from a supplementary water tank. And the roof rack, which doubled as a photo shoot platform, was modified with extra ribs; folding metal steps were added on the rear.​
02photo.jpg

I grew up in Sacramento ca My fathers brother was Kurt Grayson an actor in Hollywood from the 60's to late 80's.
Kurt was a avid car collecter at one point owning 75 various autos which he kept many of in part of a a unused chicken ranch in Upland ca,
(Sunshine eggs) Kurt was in Midaway, Wilderness family, Octagon, A piece of the action, Ravagers, and over 85 TV shows and as many TV commercials, he was the tijuana smalls man with cass Elliot and Janis Joplin, The Eveready battery mtn climber, tossed a football with OJ for Ford, and many more, kurt had this woody from around 1974-80 in Sacramento in My Dads garage, it ended up back in LA with Kurt and I never knew who he sold it to until now! it has to be the same Woody, it has a screaming little Corvette 283 Vette motor, the flathead was gone, the ice box and hammock and water tank and bird photographer link is exactly what Kurt always told me about it! Its amazing to see it , it was a creme or lighter color I recall not green, it was fairly as sen except the color and spiffed up , but metal looks same! Kurt passed in 07 from CLL, he was prolific in many auto forums the E31 one of his favorites with over 4000 posts to memebers with advice and help, Kurt was the Uncle everyone should have, A Hollywood actor who ran with gorgeous women i met Maude Adams, Jaqlynn Smith, Reid Smith another actor and my uncles best friend both ruled Coldwater cyn, Laurel cyn, and benedict cyn restoring old estates and flipping them up to 5 aat a time, drove cars like corniches, AC Cobras, etc and the Woody here! Kurt restored several Town & Country convertibles (Chysler) we salvaged from the Mojave desert, We drove a 29 Chryler roadster from Mass to LA , in 30 days, it was unrestored sitting since 54 and was restored by the time we rolled into LA, several shops on the way gave us full access to their shops even after they left to be part of our adventure, Kurt was a car guy before it was cool! In the 60's old cars were old cars to most.
Kurt was responsible for caretaking many autos sen today that may not have ben had he not been around, Google Kurt Grayson!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles