Kirkham's Auto/Truck Canopy

GeoTracker90

Adventurer
Does any body have experience with this awning? Price seems reasonable.

autocanopy_outdoors.jpg

Kirkham's Auto/Truck Canopy

Mike

miller_au

Adventurer
not with this particular awning.. but geez they come in handy and for that price why not! rain or sun they are great!

66 North

I picked one up earlier this year. Works good. After looking at the more expensive mounted awnings, I chose the Kirkhams because of the price and versatility. It is easy to set up by yourself as well. I actually used the Yakima shovel mounts on the cargo basket one time to hold up the support bar (rather than tying it to the cross bars). I like the product...

mph

Expedition Leader
I have had one for 3 years...Works great!!! Not totally waterproof but pretty close...I did spray mine with water barrier spray...

SWbySWesty

Fauxverland Extraodinaire
Does this awning/canopy stay on the roof when you are driving or do you have to attach it every time you want to use it? Does anybody have more in depth pics?

Trailpsycho

Observer
Its difficult to tell from the pics, does the awning attach like a shower curtain to their base? I take it it doesnt retract like a retractable blind, like I believe other models (much more $) do. If anyone can provide more info, close up mounting pics or other info on this awning, I would appreciate it. It looks like a great value...depending.

cnskate

Adventurer
We've been happy with ours. You just tie two pairs of strings to your roof rack or whatever and stick the two poles in the the grommets and stake down the guy lines and your good to go. It rolls up into the included canvas bag when you are done.

SWbySWesty

We've been happy with ours. You just tie two pairs of strings to your roof rack or whatever and stick the two poles in the the grommets and stake down the guy lines and your good to go. It rolls up into the included canvas bag when you are done.

Do you have some pictures? Is there enough room to fit a small camp kitchen, two chairs and small folding table under it if it was a wet situation?

SWbySWesty

well, I bit the bullet and bought one to prepare for the Mojave Road trip in April. I like that it is removeable from the rack easily.

Also update: If you look at the website, they added more photos including how it mounts to a rack (which is what led to my purchase!) - so I guess they responded to my complaint that I couldn't see how it mounts!

MTNTECH

I have one and have been very happy with it. You do have to take it down before traveling but it is very easy to attach and on my XJ I can put it up on either side or the rear. I like it in back because with the hatch up.

P1010854.jpg

P1010862.jpg

P1010857.jpg

MTNTECH

Thanks for the pics! Were you ever under it in rain?

Actually those pic's were taken Aug 2009 in the Unitah's and it rained and snowed on it. I had about 6 people trying to stay dry under it and felt the only thing I need to do is seam seal it, the main fabric never leaked.

msand1977

Observer
I have one and have been very happy with it. You do have to take it down before traveling but it is very easy to attach and on my XJ I can put it up on either side or the rear. I like it in back because with the hatch up.

P1010854.jpg

P1010862.jpg

P1010857.jpg

A little off topic, but what is that cool stand you have your stove sitting on inthe back ground

NothingClever

Explorer
well, I bit the bullet and bought one to prepare for the Mojave Road trip in April. I like that it is removeable from the rack easily.

Also update: If you look at the website, they added more photos including how it mounts to a rack (which is what led to my purchase!) - so I guess they responded to my complaint that I couldn't see how it mounts!

Can you post a link? All I'm getting is a dimensions sketch and a single photo.

Thx,
NC

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne