Rack Cover

Crookthumb

Adventurer
lowenbrau said:
LUVW.jpg

http://www.army.gc.ca/1combat_engineers/images/gwagon5.JPG

I was wondering if anybody knows who makes the cover for the rack. I am wanting to find out more about its construction. What material, and if there are similar setups for other rigs. I know this is for a Mercedes LUVW or Galendewagen, but was interested in one for the Safety Devices Rack on my Land Rover Discovery 1. It would be nice to cover gear in harsh conditions, winter ice storms, snow, rain, hail, or dust...

I don't mind fabricating just want to find out more information on the cover and see how it protects the racks contents(How it is strapped down, tucked in, or however it is attached underneath. Unless it just drapes over and hope that nothing comes in from underneath. As far as materials what are suggestions or experiences with fabrics materials. I was thinking Sunbrella maybe if I were to use canvas. For vinyl what specs would be best to use as far as thickness. Or if there are other materials chime in. What type of Mil Specs does the Canadian Military even have on that type of material, would it be chem or bio resistant. I don't know if they have that type of need even for it. I don't need it to be olive drab, wouldn't mind if it was black or a grey or even dark blue (my Discovery is dark blue). I would want the support structure to bolt on so it can be removed when not in use. I would want it to follow the step design of the Discovery and roof rack. I don't mind if it covered equipment on the side of the rack, but would want quick access when needed. I would probably prefer it to cover accessories like a Hi-Lift, shovel, ax, etc. I wouldn't want it to cover front and rear lights though. I would want it to be high enough for Jerry cans and Pelican Cases. Thanks for any suggestions or information provided.

I have this posted in a Galendewagen thread as well in case of any confusion.

glazener.24

That is exactly what I have been looking for. I wonder if I can find one to fit a Loadwarrior with the 18" extension piece...

Crookthumb

Adventurer
Does anyone know where to buy or order quality waterproof canvas or strong vinylized material? I heard guys making canvas tops for 1st gen 4runners using Sunbrella material so I tried looking at the local fabric stores but they don't carry it, possibly special order. I didn't see any vinyl that I thought would be strong enough to resist tears from tree branches. They had pretty thin stuff. The vinyl had that cotton like backing. I would like it with out that so it doesn't hold moisture.

Last edited:

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
My SOP in situations like this is to start with the mfg and ask them where I can buy their product.
The material used in the Mastercraft products is more like Sunbrella that has been vinyl impregnated. The vinyl usually sold in sewing materials stores is nothing like it.

greenmeanie

Adventurer
01001010 said:
What I want to know is, how does one get a hold of Michelin XZLs nowadays!

Oh that's quite easy. I understand that a quick trip down to your local recruiting office gets you access to all the XZLs you could ever want. Comes free with three square meals a day, accommodation and travel too.

From the enquiries I have made Michelin have stopped selling XZls to the civilian market in the US in order to meet their military contracts. You can occasionally find some of the suppliers have them in stock Rover size as take offs but no 9.00X16s.

greenmeanie

Adventurer
Speak to some of the truck trailer or coach builders. I've seen 101 tilts made out of that heavy vinyl they use on curtain side trucks/trailers. Very strong, very waterproof and sun resistant.

Maryland 110

Adventurer
Sunbrella, Stamoid (vinylized canvas) are usually available from marine boat cover/enclosure places. Sunbrella comes in a bunch of colors.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles