Sleeping pad for Truck Bed Platform

Hazzard

Observer
Thanks for the ideas and recommendations guys. I am looking into the Paco pads, although I think they might be a little overkill for the back of my truck.

I guess I will have to call up the local RV place and see if they can provide some closed cell foam for the back of my truck that will meet my needs since there doesn't seem to be any online retails for this type of product yet.

Does anyone have some drawn up plans for a storage/sleeping platfrom for the back of a Taco?

SWDesertTaco

Adventurer
I have to say...Paco Pads are never overkill when it comes to comfort.

Best investment I ever made. We use two Grandes in the back of the tacoma on a platform and they fit perfect. I liked the idea of one big pad but having two there are so many more options. We've pulled them out and used them for seats, wrapped around adult beverages to keep em cold also padding for items, and even small rafts in slow moving current.

You can ask Chuck (Ursidae69) what he thinks of his paco pad and how many nights he has spent on it.

When you boil it down and think that you will pay a little over $100 for a 1.5 inch Thermarest, once you put a few holes in it...doesn't work so well. Then you pay hundred more for a 2 or 3 inch paco pad, get a few holes in it, use it inflated, not inflated, sleep on cobblestones and you won't notice. How long you will use this and the overall comfort you get...nothing compares, seriously.

But thats just my thoughts.

opie

Explorer
Taco98Wrench said:
Thanks for the ideas and recommendations guys. I am looking into the Paco pads, although I think they might be a little overkill for the back of my truck.

I guess I will have to call up the local RV place and see if they can provide some closed cell foam for the back of my truck that will meet my needs since there doesn't seem to be any online retails for this type of product yet.

Does anyone have some drawn up plans for a storage/sleeping platfrom for the back of a Taco?

I dont recall if it was here, or somewhere else.

Someone made up a platform that clamped to the bedrail. I believe the platform was split in the middle with a hinge so you could access the unders from either side.

It was for sale. Id search, but dont know what to type in to find it.

Ursidae69

Expedition Leader
SWDesertTaco said:
You can ask Chuck (Ursidae69) what he thinks of his paco pad and how many nights he has spent on it.

So far just this year, I've spent 40 nights in the field and I sleep better on my paco pad than at home on my fancy mattress. I have the silverback paco. They are a quality product and worth the money.

Hazzard

Observer
Looks like there is a lot of support for the Paco pads. Does anyone have the the pickup Paco and can recommend it?

Thanks for the link opie, I hadn't ever thought of doing it that way. I had always just thought I would build the platform from the bottom up. I would do it a little differently then his though.

jbs

Observer
Ursidae69 said:
So far just this year, I've spent 40 nights in the field and I sleep better on my paco pad than at home on my fancy mattress. I have the silverback paco.

I have found the same to be true. Same pad, VERY comfortable.

Ursidae69 said:
They are a quality product and worth the money.

x2 (or 20 or whatever its up to)

grahamfitter

Expedition Leader
A friend with an older Toyota truck uses a bouldering pad and fills in the gap with some open cell foam he says he got from Joanne Fabrics. Its probably 3-4 inches thick. I've slept in it plenty of times and, other than banging my head on the inside of the cap, its pretty comfy. And given he already had the bouldering pad and blanket, pretty cheap.

Cheers,
Graham

buldyourown

Observer
Mine is a couple different layers. I have cheap, Home depot outdoor carpet on top of the plywood. Then, 1/2 of closed cell foam. Then 2" of open cell foam. The same stuff that is in the thickest Thermarest of comparable self-inflating camping mattress. It's reasonably comfortable and it was cheap.
I can also put a fitted bed sheet over the open cell foam. Makes everything much cozier.

Paco Pads

Best Paco Pads for Trucks/ Sleeping

I've used Paco Pads for the past 15 years, both on and off the river, especially when sleeping in the back of my truck. While they do make a "Pickup Truck" model, I've also found that using two side by side on top of a platform offers the most flexibility and ease of setup/take down. Plus, they take up less room than most other types of inflatable or foam mattresses, which is a plus when space is tight.

I found this thread while doing research for a new website that breaks down the benefits and multiple uses of Paco Pads, including a comparison chart to help other folks compare Paco Pads by size, color and current available pricing from multiple vendors, so I'm sharing a link here, hope this helps:
http://www.pacopads.com

WildHare

I found this thread while doing research for a new website that breaks down the benefits and multiple uses of Paco Pads, including a comparison chart to help other folks compare Paco Pads by size, color and current available pricing from multiple vendors, so I'm sharing a link here, hope this helps:

Thank you for this website. Looks like I'll be requesting a custom width Silverback (probably 36").

I'm so happy I found this thread... I'm a BIG guy, and get uncomfortable on thin sleeping pads. Every air mattress I've tried leaks to some extent. This looks like it could be the ticket.

evldave

Expedition Trophy Winner
I've used Paco Pads for the past 15 years, both on and off the river, especially when sleeping in the back of my truck. While they do make a "Pickup Truck" model, I've also found that using two side by side on top of a platform offers the most flexibility and ease of setup/take down. Plus, they take up less room than most other types of inflatable or foam mattresses, which is a plus when space is tight.

Are you a vendor? Reseller?

goskiracer

Just got two guide pads in the mail:wings:. they fit like a glove on the platform i put in my 09 tacoma. And they are just as comfortable as my bed. this summer is going to great. Yeah they are more $$ than other inflatables but given the abuse these will take i figure they will last for 2-3 lifecycles of another pad, so it evens out in the end

WildHare

Are you a vendor? Reseller?

If you check his website that lists current prices, he admits that some of the links give him a kickback. So, yes, to a certain extent he IS a vendor.

However, the other multiple positive reviews in this tread still tip me in favor.

BTW, I am not a vendor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz