Sleeping pad for Truck Bed Platform

Paco Pads

Are you a vendor? Reseller?

I'm not really a vendor; PacoPads.com is setup as a fan / review site. I don't work for the people who make them, or even sell them. I'm a river guide, and travel everywhere with mine; and I plan on setting up my new 06 Tundra w/ Snugtop on a platform with two of them next week. :) But as WildHare mentioned, I did include "affiliate" links in the comparison grid, so that if you purchase anything from the retailer, they eventually pay a small commission for the lead. So hopefully, site visitors get the best deal available, and we make web hosting (and hopefully) beer money.

The site just went up last week; part of the goal in creating this was to help figure out how to choose the right pad for a given situation, and that includes finding the best available price. I have a ways to go before it's done, including a writeup on how to size them for truck beds, tents, etc. hope it helps.

18seeds

Explorer
Thanks to this thread I bought a paco pad and got to try it out for the first time this weekend in Moab. I got the truck bed pad and i have a 2010 tacoma shortbed. These pads are AWESOME. Extremely comfortable and extremely durable. Only "con" is that it is big when you roll it up but that is the price to pay for comfort.

For my taco it won't fit btwn the wheel wells but that didn't bother me. I move around alot when I sleep so any standard width sleeping pad doesn't work for me.

Expensive but worth it.

Hazzard

Observer
Its cool to see this thread helping so many people solve their sleeping pad needs. I am actually still looking to get a sleeping pad. I sold the other truck I was previously looking to setup. I am just now finishing up my storage/sleeping platform in my new truck (05 taco) and I am still shopping for the best deal on a Paco Pad.

I'll be sure to post up my platform once I get it done as I borrowed from the many designs on this site.

lamontagne

Adventurer
I know ‘futon’ is a dirty word in many circles, but there are some really nice futon mattresses available. My father is putting them in his 5th wheel. He also built an oak recliner chair that uses a small futon mattress. Very comfortable.

Kind of heavy, and not typically waterproof, but maybe something to look into? Maybe with a water-resistant cover on it?

Times 2 on the Futon!

I use a 4in thick futon in the back of my Frontier (on a carpeted plywood base) and I sleep like a baby. Nice thing about the futon is that it keeps you warm when its cold, and you dont sweat like a pig when it's warm. Yes they are not "water resisant", but that's what the camper shell is for!

Tim A

Adventurer
You could always cover your sleeping platform with carpet padding (under indoor/outdoor carpet) I have carpet on my platform now but am considering tearing it up and installing the pad underneath for add'l comfort. Lowes sells a 8'x9'x3/4" pad for $30.

Hazzard

Observer
So here is a question regarding the Paco pads. Should I go with the firm foam or the soft. I want it to be comfortable but I don't want the foam to compress all the way down and be un-supportive without the mattress filled with air. Is it just a matter of what type of regular mattress you like (hard vs. soft)?

The Adam Blaster

Expedition Leader
So here is a question regarding the Paco pads. Should I go with the firm foam or the soft. I want it to be comfortable but I don't want the foam to compress all the way down and be un-supportive without the mattress filled with air. Is it just a matter of what type of regular mattress you like (hard vs. soft)?

If it was me, I'd want to personally lie on both and choose what felt better.
That's a very personal adn subjective matter, and for 300 bucks or so, I'd want to test it out before handing over the cash. ;)

Hazzard

Observer
If it was me, I'd want to personally lie on both and choose what felt better.
That's a very personal adn subjective matter, and for 300 bucks or so, I'd want to test it out before handing over the cash. ;)

Agreed. I stopped by the only place in town that carries them. And they only had 3 in-stock. All were soft foam and the 3" thick one felt good. Just wondering if I can get away with a 1.5" or 2" with the firm foam and still be comfortable.

What would probably be ideal would be a 1" thick foam and 1"soft foam in the same pad (progressive compression) but I am sure I don't want to see the price of a custom pad based on how spendy some of the other ones already are.

Sure wish I had picked one of these up back when I was a raft guide, discounts are great! Maybe we could talk Jacks Welding into a ExPed discount/group buy.

Hazzard

Observer
these things do not pack small so thicker or firm foam will only make it pack larger and be less manageable.

Yeah, that would be more of a issue for me if I was going to carry it on my pack. But for River and Truck Camping I would rather have a comfortable bed over a compact pad. I already have 2 therma-rests, a ridge-rest and several closed cell foam pads that I use for backpacking.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier