Sleeping pad for Truck Bed Platform

Hazzard

Observer
Hey Guys, been lurking around here for a while. I have enjoyed reading about the trips on this site. I migrated over here from TTORA.

I looked around and searched but didn't really find what I was looking for so I figured I would see what recommendations you guys would have.

I am planning on building a platform for sleeping and storage in the back of my Taco, much like the on Baja Taco has. I want to get a closed-cell foam pad for sleeping that is 3 inches thick. I have looked for such a product online but haven't found what I am looking for.

I am still in the designing phase of my platform, I want to be able to have only half of the platform in there for hunting, but also be able to easily add the other half if 2 need to sleep. So if you guys have any ideas/plans you wouldn't mind sharing that would be great!

Thanks

Bergger

Explorer
I use a Gander Mountain Brand Guide Series 4" closed cell foam self inflating matress. It's extremely comfortable and only costs $80. It comes with a carry sack and compression straps. I've used it on the ground, in the tent cot, and around the house for sleep overs. We have two of them and they have velcro on them so you can connect them together.

Here is the link to the product.

http://www.gandermountain.com/modpe...=505B4&merchID=4006&r=view#details_box_holder

opie

Explorer
I use a coleman air mattress in the back of my Colorado. Think I picked it up off Ebay for $26 shipped, with a pump.

Hazzard

Observer
Bergger said:
I use a Gander Mountain Brand Guide Series 4" closed cell foam self inflating matress. It's extremely comfortable and only costs $80. It comes with a carry sack and compression straps. I've used it on the ground, in the tent cot, and around the house for sleep overs. We have two of them and they have velcro on them so you can connect them together.

Here is the link to the product.

http://www.gandermountain.com/modpe...=505B4&merchID=4006&r=view#details_box_holder

The site says its Open-cell foam?

Thanks for the ideas guys but I guess I should clarify that I don't want an air mattress. They don't insulate as well and since it will only stay in my truck I don't have to worry about packing it anywhere. I already have lightweight camping pads, I want something thicker, warmer and softer for the truck camping.

Thanks

Bergger

Explorer
Taco98Wrench said:
The site says its Open-cell foam?

Thanks for the ideas guys but I guess I should clarify that I don't want an air mattress. They don't insulate as well and since it will only stay in my truck I don't have to worry about packing it anywhere. I already have lightweight camping pads, I want something thicker, warmer and softer for the truck camping.

Thanks

Sorry I did not read your post close enough. Yes it is an open cell pad but believe me it is warm and comfortable being that it is 4" thick. Not cold like an air matress. We use an Adam and Eve sleeping bag set with them and stay very warm. I can see how you might have trouble finding what you want in a close cell foam. Call an RV parts dept and see what it would cost to order a mattress that is used in a popup camper. Probably will cost an arm and a leg.

Hazzard

Observer
Thanks MrBlond, I actually found that one during my search, but it is open-cell. It would be perfect except for that.

The reason I was closed cell is that if can't absorb moisture, and knowing my self I will spill something on my pad at some point.

Oh well, thanks for the tips guys. Keep them coming.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:bigbossHL: Man you guys are way to tough and way to young

I've used different pads, over the years, off-road and On subs, but

NOW, I gotta have 4/6 inches of husky air mattress, so I've got

IMGP0641c.jpg

My TRUCKBEDZ and if it's gonna get cold, we sleep in my Xterra, toasty warm

These old bones, just won't take pads for comfort, NOMO

:26_7_2: :camping: JIMBO

Lynn

Expedition Leader
I know ‘futon’ is a dirty word in many circles, but there are some really nice futon mattresses available. My father is putting them in his 5th wheel. He also built an oak recliner chair that uses a small futon mattress. Very comfortable.

Kind of heavy, and not typically waterproof, but maybe something to look into? Maybe with a water-resistant cover on it?

Hazzard

Observer
The Paco pads look interesting. I couldn't find a lot of detail on how they are made but can anyone testify to their warmth?

Even though they are inflatable the look like they have a lot of foam, and with the pvc cover I wouldn't have to worry about them getting wet. Looks there is a dealer here in Bozeman. I'll have to swing by to check them out.

One concern I would have with these pads is that they could possibly be too warm in the summer?

Speaker

Adventurer
Taco98Wrench said:
The Paco pads look interesting. I couldn't find a lot of detail on how they are made but can anyone testify to their warmth?

One concern I would have with these pads is that they could possibly be too warm in the summer?

Here is a bit of info on the materials in the pads.

As one who has used a regular (1.5" thick) paco pad for weeks at a time on the river, I can attest to their comfort. I have never slept on a more comfortable pad, including my bed at home. While I am not a thermodynamics expert, I think the paco is good at insulating, hot or cold. I've slept on the pad with the valve open at 10* and was very warm (granted I was in a -30 bag). In the summer you can blow up the pad with more air to keep it cool. Also, sleeping with just a sheet in the summer is the way to go.

I don't mean to be a rubber stamp for Paco Pads, I just know how nice it's been sleeping on one.

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
Go to Jacks Plastics and get a Paco-Pad custom fit to your truck bed... They're awsome.
Aire raft co. makes a lower cost version called the 'Crash Pad' and Aire is a great company. Although I'm not as familiar with they're sleeping pad construction so I don't know about the ammount of foam like the Paco's... I can tell you that I sleep like a baby on the river on my Paco pad...

Cheers

Dave

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94