Overland Vans

kcowyo

ExPo Original
Overland Vans linky

Think poorman's Sportsmobile, although that may be an unfair analogy. Some of these look very interesting.
I believe this just a concept -

gearbox2.jpg

An AWD coverted Astro by Overland Vans-
BMdesert1.jpg

I don't know why I find these interesting but I do. The breakover and departure angles on the Astro's look very good, the 4.3 V6 is a hot GM powerplant, Auburn has an E-locker for the rear axle available and the short wheelbase should make it fairly capable on moderate technical trails. It would be fun to ride along in one of these and see how it does.

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
kcowyo said:
GTRV Vans also makes a nice pop top conversion for vans. Wonder if the could do it with an FJ62 or a Trooper?

No you've got me thinging, and that's just mean. :)

I really like the concept. Ever since the Leadville trip, and more specifically following GT down the hill, made me rething the concept of large vehicle in the terrain that I usually travel. Roof top tents are nice, but heavy and expensive. A pop-top ala sportsmobile or VW van just seem so cool.

Grim Reaper

Expedition Leader
I wasn't aware of this till recently but GM now offers the full size vans with factory AWD. My company just oreded a couple for our Disaster recovery team.

No low range like the astro but since it will mostly be bassed on off the shelf parts it probably wouldn't be a big deal to swap in a part time case with the electric shift and low range from a Silverado or a Suburban.

Grim Reaper

Expedition Leader
CLynn85 said:
Thanks for that to get me going again. I've had this strange obsession with 4wd vans lately.
As a camper its the ideal vehicle. I wish I could talk my wife into a VW Westfalia. She has van issues for some reason. She will drive a 91ft long Suburban but doesn't think she can handle the VW LOL.

What I would like to see it a 4wd Diesel Benz/dodge sprinter in the short wheel base model.

OutbacKamper

Supporting Sponsor
Colorado Ron said:
I wonder if my Pinz qualifies as a van? Kinda of the mini van on steroids:

No Ron, your Pinz is too cool to be called a mini van. These are mini vans on steroids:
delica.jpg

There were several of these in Australia, outfitted like a 4x4 VW camper with a pop top:
IM1045_89_delica-034.jpg

Cheers
Mark

The Swiss

Expedition Leader
kcowyo said:
And another van conversion outfit, based in France I guess.

Safari Condos -
ranch_mcgowan_grassland_n.p._saskatchewanmartinblanchet_std.jpg
They are in Quebec, Canada.
I have the possibility to pick up a 2001 Astro Van in decent shape with 250,000 miles for around $1,000. Don't really need an other vehicle, but then on the other hand ...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles