i don't really consider this a "build up" or an expedition vehicle for that matter. however, i do use it for my daily driver, offroad toy, and travel vehicle all in one.
this particular disco was owned by the father of one of my friends. he bought it two years old, with only 18,000 miles on it at the time. over the next two years, it was garage kept, washed weekly, and driven to only 39,000 miles. it was immaculate, to say the least.
i kept it stock for a good seven months. i wheel it a good bit and was very impressed with its capabilities. finally it was time to start modifying it. so naturally, i built some rock sliders.
a few months later, i found a good deal on a used SD rack. however, it was rusted badly and was covered in a horrible looking coating of herculiner. so i sanded the whole thing down, and repainted it.i then added farmtek chicken coop flooring held down by 175lb zip ties. it's a perfect platform for stowing my tent cot, bike, and/or relaxing in a fold out chair.
i drove it around like that for several days while i waited for my rovertym goodies to arrive. i ordered:
- front and rear diff guards
- old style front bumper
- RR4 and RR3 2" springs
- Ome shocks and steering stabilizer
i had originally ordered the RR1 rear springs, but they sent me the wrong ones. i was antsy, and was leaving for school in a few days, so i went ahead and installed them. the ride is nice, but for heavier loads, i eventually want to go with the heavier duty springs. i chose 255/85/r16 BFG MTs mounted on some stock rover wheels that i bought off dweb. they fit nicely into the DII wheel wells; however, i found out the hard way that when fully compressed in the rear, the sheetmetal WILL eat some lugs. so out comes the dremel this weekend...