Michaels's Discovery

michaels

Explorer
There are two things I really like about your Discovery.

1. You use it on the trail - a lot.
2. You are willing to do all of your own work and even some hand-built projects.

Nicely done :D

thanks. i don't get to use it on the trail as much as i'd like, but i get out whenever i can!

i hate paying for stuff i can easily make in a couple weekends worth of work, so that's why! this bumper took me three weekends to build, too bad i started in march! haha.

michaels

Explorer
got these in the mail the other day. rovertym sent these out for free. here's why:

rovertym gets all the pieces for their bumper laser cut off site, and weld them up in house in their jig to insure a perfect fit. i always noticed that the sides of my bumper were off. the side protrudes into the wheel well about an inch. it always bothered me, but i never fixed it due to laziness. also, the side bars that gussett the brush bar is also longer than the normal DII bumper.

Long story short, a year and a half after i get my bumper, i'm at SAE in north georgia talking to the rovertym guys and i show them my bumper. turns out they mixed up a few pieces, and welded the RRC "wings" to the DII frame mounts/winch tray. i told him i always meant to cut it off but never did as a pain. he offered me a big dicount on my next order, but i honestly don't see myself ordering anything from them anytime in the next few years, so i asked him to send me out some spring retainers for the rear instead. i emailed him about a month ago and never recieved a response. two days ago, i had $57 part (with shipping) for free on my doorstep.

if anyone is questioning rovertym's reliability lately, i'd say i wouldn't if i were you. you'll get the stuff.

no more hose clamps and zip ties for spring retainers!!
DSC_0583-1.jpg

michaels

Explorer
been years since i updated this. I've been incredibly busy with school and starting my own leather company. truck looks the same. rebuilt the headgaskets, fixed a bunch of leaks, done regular maintenance, and have just been driving the **** out of it. Pulling stuck jeeps out of tuskeegee is about the most offroading i've been getting into. When i rebuilt my fox shocks, i must have messed up something on one of them, or the the place i got them filled with nitrogen messed them up. It was probably me, but i had to replace the driver side shock with a new Fox 2.0 from lucky 8. it was a ********** to get it in, but a buddy, a couple of ratchet straps, and some good ol' Alabama engineering got it in place (i only had one bottle jack for the entire job). Truck rides great now. i love the setup and still love my truck like the day i bought.

what's everyone running for tires in the 255/85 flavor? mine will be up for some new shoes in the next year or so, but other than that i've been incredibly happy just enjoying my truck and no longer pursuing every new gadget that comes along.

I'm having a tempermental idle right now, and need a new exhaust system from the y-pipe back. Suggestions on a muffler/exhaust setup?

11b4v

Adventurer
spotted

Drove through Auburn a couple months ago, snapped a pic of your truck.

Question. Where did you get your metal stock for the sliders? and a rough esitmate of cost?

thanks,

Last edited:

timmy!!!!!!!

Explorer
11b4v do you have an Auburn plate on your disco? I was driving down Whitesburg yesterday and saw one with an ARB front bumper. I wasn't in my disco because I left it in New Orleans when I evacuated.

michaels

Explorer
can't see the pic, but I think it was $200 for 20 feet of 2x4 and whatever else i used for the sills. 3 x 6 I think.

11b4v

Adventurer
Sliders

Appreciate the estimate. I never could find the time to locate any 3x6 for the sills.

Since then, I finally picked up a set of sliders. They were attached to an 3" lifted 01 DII SD I found locally, blown HGs and all for 1300. HG kit, head work, hoses, plugs and wires and now its the wife's DD. Best part was it only had 85K for miles and the interior was immaculate.

PS, finally traded the Ga tag for Al now.

michaels

Explorer
Welp, couldn’t stay away for long. I bought a 92 RRC to restore in July 2019 and an 03 DII about two weeks ago. It has 04 roof rails for those wondering.

I just replaced the floorboards in the RRC as well as the heater core and the blower motor. While I had the dash out, I recovered it in leather and I’ve dyed a lot of the plastic black. The plan is a full black interior with rustic tan seats and fresh alpine white paint. When I bought this I drove it 100 miles home, and have slowly been fixing it up. I’ve only put about 700 miles on it total though. I’ll do the driver floor repair in the spring and then the rust will all be taken care of. It has a slow coolant drip on the driver front cylinder head gasket so I haven’t been driving it much, especially with the interior currently fitted. Never overheated but I figure there’s no rush since it’s a slow project. Interior sound deadening and restore is my current priority, then drivetrain, then exterior repaint.

I was totally fine with selling my disco, but then one day last summer I saw a new discovery 5 at the county fair being raffled and it got me curious Into land rovers again. Then a friend was selling his 92 RRC for super cheap on Facebook a few hours away, so I jumped on it. Two weeks later I got curious about my old truck and contacted the guy in Virginia who bought it. Turns out he resold it a month later after fixing the engine issues for about $3k. He didn’t have their info anymore, but saw it with a forsale sign in the local high school parking lot. I really wanted to buy it back but couldn’t afford what they wanted after having just bought my first house, so I’ve been lamenting the loss ever since. They next owner bought it as a father-son project and they did a lot of work to it make it like-new again. I deleted their contact info and lost touch of where it ended up.

For the last year, I’ve been looking at LR3s and LR4s, but the disco kept calling me back. I figured with their values rising and most trucks out there now being trashed, my chances were getting slimmer to find a nice example for a reasonable price. I missed out on 3 other trucks before I found this new one. Granted, they were all more expensive than I wanted to spend, so I’m glad this one worked out and I was able to pick it up for under 10k. In hindsight, I wish I had kept the original disco. It would’ve been cheaper in the end, but it was the right decision to buy a tundra (i.e. reliable vehicle) while I built up my business.

The 03 disco is my new DD. It has a 2000 P38 4.6 block in it, which were built with better tooling than the 03-04 4.6 blocks that crack and have slipped liners often. The PO rebuilt the most of the engine 14k miles ago: new head gaskets, valve job, new oil pan seal and front cover seal, oil pump, pulleys, updated cooling system with the inline t-stat mod,new fluids everywhere. It feels as nice as the original disco i had in this thread, but added piece of mind with the better block. Got it with just under 91,000 miles and have already but about 1500 miles on it. Needs a roof repaint and a few little Interior fixes, but it’s great. My plan is to hopefully take it to 200,000+ miles.

I bought a one-way ticket and drove it 900 miles home without issue. The drive from philly to Nashville was beautiful with all the early November foliage.

No modifications planned currently. Just gonna enjoy this one stock for a while and take it camping and mountain biking. I’d like to change the tcase, and do a lift, tires, and armor like my last one, but i kinda like it being stock for now. It drives really nice on the 18s and nitro terra grapplers. Lifetime Cali truck until last year when the PO drove it cross country to PA where it’s lived for just over a year. Almost non existent rust. Just a little bit of surface rust here and there. All common problem areas are currently addressed or updated. It was a steal of a find. My kid is 6 months old now, so the plan is to get further along on the Range Rover and then build the disco up to take him out. I grew up riding 4wheelers with my dad and this will be a fun connection with my boy lien I had with my dad.

I probably won’t update this thread much but for those who knew me when I built my last truck, I’m updating my Instagram these days under @Tnrovers. I’m in Nashville now.

b248d19b5b06c9a19579d4d2f7c0d14a.jpg

6b4ff75ddcb9e87c282d014ccd49e67e.jpg

fd7be50b37743b3b6bb16c7ed3721cbe.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles