Any of you running 235/85/16 tires?

Cackalak Han

Explorer
While searching various BFG KO sizes, I came across this size. It is quite a bit cheaper compared to 265/75/16 (per tirerack - $179 vs $135, I believe) and only come in load E. Just trying to figure out if there would be any disadvantages with running this size.

It's going on a stock Tacoma. Just mild wheeling--nothing fancy like what some of you do. :D

Thanks.

UPDATE: Page 5 - Installed pictures.

Last edited:

maxama10

Welcome to Nevadafornia
As I'm sure you know its a little taller than the 265/75. Hardly though and a fair bit more narrow. To me this is its advantage, less weight, less resistance, better gas mileage, less strain on parts. Disadvantage in deep mud/sand/snow.

If you search that size you will find some really good threads about it here and I think it was will that wrote a really good article on narrow tires for expedition travel.

Check em out
-Max

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
I think MartinJumper is on a trip and probably won't respond, but he is running 235/85 Yokohamas and is pretty happy with them.

madizell

Explorer
I have been using them on a CJ-5, and they have been great so far. I don't find them stiff riding, but then I also have them aired at around 26psi, which you would have to adjust somewhat for your load, which is heavier than the CJ-5. I have even driven them 200+ miles round trip to Phoenix and back without changing air pressure, and they did very nicely on the highway.

1leg

Explorer
Any 1 have a side by side picture of a 265/75 and 235/85. I thinking about stepping down from the 255/85 after they wear out.

maxama10

Welcome to Nevadafornia
Sorry this is unrelated but I notice you have a tent cot, pretty neat. Those are made here in my hometown. :clapsmile How much did you pay for yours if you don't mind me asking? As if you live in town you get a substantial discount.

-Max

Cackalak Han

Explorer
1leg said:
Any 1 have a side by side picture of a 265/75 and 235/85. I thinking about stepping down from the 255/85 after they wear out.

From these pictures of 7wt's truck, they seem noticably skinnier.

DSC_0015.jpg

DSC_0019-1.jpg

I do like the looks of them, and with the price differences between these and 265/75's, I think I will spring for these. Even thinking about jumping up to KM or KM2's for a few bucks more...

Last edited:

pangaea

Adventurer
235/85/16s are pretty common tires to run on Land Rovers, D1 guys and series guys seem to favor them (probably because they're similar to the 7.50 R16 in size)... I'm a big fan of them, personally. If contact area becomes a problem on the trail, just air them down a bit more and you should be fine. Here's a shot of 235/85/16s (GY MT-Rs though) aired down to about 16 psi on the rocks:

NewTires.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles