avalache build anyone

bdbecker

Adventurer
I've been very busy lately. Sorry it is taking so long...

No worries, I totally understand. Looks good so far, I can't wait until you get it totally decked out - my boss has pretty much the exact same truck (color and all), I'll probably throw some pics his way to maybe inspire him to do a little work.

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
Well I guess that I am taking over this thread. The hijack has already sort of begun.

Cut the stops off the power seats. Now they recline all the way back. Nice :)

bfg.JPG
bfg2.JPG

New tires have been on a few days now. The Bully Dog tuner has them dialed in for speed.
I installed the modified Suburban roof rack on that day too. Now my safari basket is back up on top of my ride with the awning attached.
The transmission fluid was pretty dark. I may have been the first to service it. Glad I took care of that with a flush and filter.

The headlight mod for these is easy! Two diodes and now I have lows fogs and high beams on at the same time. Nice light.

Hopefully this week I'll find time to install the inverter, Jotto desk, VHF radio and APRS transmitter.

ratkin

Adventurer
Well I guess that I am taking over this thread. The hijack has already sort of begun.

The headlight mod for these is easy! Two diodes and now I have lows fogs and high beams on at the same time. Nice light.

Can you point me to some details for this mod?

Thanks!
- Richard

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
Can you point me to some details for this mod?

Thanks!
- Richard
You bet! I have done more than a few now.
Highs, Lows, Fogs, DRL all or any combination.
I don't know if this is the "best" but it was enough for me to pull it off. FTDRL Install for a Chevy Avalanche PDF
I found a 10 pack of 1N914 diodes at Radioshack for $1.49. I already had shrink tubing.

Here's the picture:
diodes.JPG

It does work GREAT. Once you have diodes tubed it takes only seconds to do it.

ratkin

Adventurer
Thanks! I can use this to help me find the right connections to duplicate on my wife's XL-7!

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
Thanks! I can use this to help me find the right connections to duplicate on my wife's XL-7!
No problem. It is one of those things that, "I wish I had thought of that."
Keep an eye to the concerns others have had with overloading the charging system and or wiring. The GM trucks have been doing fine. All mine have had the bigger alternator. If the smaller one is weak or worn , larger loads might highlight the vulnerable points.
With stock wattage bulbs , or lower watt higher efficiency bulbs there should not be any problems.

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
Quite a bit of time working on installs:

Jotto mount
jotmount.JPG

Inverter
inverter.JPG

So nice to have the laptop working!
laptop.JPG

The VHF radio is mounted. I still have to make a cable and mount antennas. Tomorrow I'll add a sixth power port for the APRS.

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
Back on the air

hamradio.JPG

Yaesu FT8800 dual band. The external speaker is that square black box on the side of the console. I wasted lots of time searching for that safe place I put the antenna duplexer. Grrr! Same twin 1/4 wave whips up top.
APRS is going again too.
I ran the power cable and installed the quick connector out back. The circuit beaker is back on the top post of the Diehard Platinum.
The LED back up light is strung across the back and all tied in.
Lots of progress today.

avnov1.JPG
avnov2.JPG
avnov2010.JPG
avnov3.JPG

I might do a front receiver hitch tomorrow.

Last edited:

tombodad

Adventurer
something i've been wondering..

I've always wondered about Avalanches. They seem like a great idea, but really what is the benefit of one over a quad cab pickup? maybe some of you owners can enlighten me!

chasespeed

Explorer
I dont know, but, I like the idea of 4doors, and the ability to have an 8ft bed, without a vehicle the size of a bus....

Chase

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
Shorter wheelbase than the four door trucks and still have the bed space if I need it.

I have my winch and HIDs back!

Today I put together a front receiver hitch.

First up was to cut a hole in the bumper-
Hole.JPG

Then fab up a receiver-
hitch.JPG

Bolt it in eight ways behind the bumper. Tied in top and bottom-
Mountinside.JPG

Put it all back together-
mountinstalled.JPG

Cut the hitch tube down 2.5" to tighten things up-
mounted.JPG

Go out for some poser pics-
Poser.JPG
poser2.JPG
Poser3.JPG

I'm done playing with things for a while. Right now I am waiting on the exhaust to show up. Maybe next week?

tombodad

Adventurer
Lookin good man! Are your lights connected just to the hitch mount in the front? Quick connect for both?

Regarding Avalanches in general, how does the bed system hold up? Do you ever find yourself wishing for a Pickup, or a Tahoe?

I'm just wondering as its on the list of vehicles for the wife's next, but I have never had hands-on experience with one. It seems that in general, neat multi-function ideas like this either work extremely well, or are gimicky, and not very good at either function...

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
Lookin good man! Are your lights connected just to the hitch mount in the front? Quick connect for both?
Thanks! They are mounted just to the cradle mount. The wireless controller for the lights is mounted to the winch solenoid box and powers from the cables supplying it. One quick connector and I am set. Slide it out and it all stows in the garage. If I mount a hinged plate mount, you won't even know that there is a front receiver.
Regarding Avalanches in general, how does the bed system hold up? Do you ever find yourself wishing for a Pickup, or a Tahoe?
Time will tell. Thus far I like it. I have yet to haul big stuff in the back. It measures up to haul the TW200 with the gate up. That is the important thing. It is nice to be able to fold the seats down , open the back to the bed and have it all enclosed / weatherproofed. With a sleeping mat the three of us could sleep inside. That will be a nice option.

It is basically a Tahoe with a short bed or a single cab with an 8' bed, I guess. All the front stuff is the same. I really like the fender bedside boxes. That keeps the bed open.

Time will tell...

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
10 years of modifications in my old truck, fast tracked into this one.
I did the $2.49 Audio input mod, installed new Autolite XP iridium sparkplugs, added an underhood light -

hoodlt.JPG

Hayes trailer brake controller was plug-n-play, installed a new wireless light controller for the HID lights and installed a Spectre ProFab air intake

spectre.JPG
spectre2.JPG

I added the Insultek insulation around the heat shield and stitched up a polyester pre-cleaner for the filter.
O'Reillys did a price match on the intake kit so I got it for $119.99 and the fabric for the pre-cleaner cost $10. I have enough fabric and elastic left to make a spare or two.

Still waiting on exhaust. New ship date is not until the 23rd. Looks like that might be a Thanksgiving day project.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste