avalache build anyone

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
When did the canoe get added to the fleet?
A couple years ago. We have not had a chance to use it as much as we would like though. We have a "pubble jumping " trip planned through Canada and plans to use it lots on that trek.
Does the trailer stay packed and save you time getting mobile?
Yes. Restocked on our return. All we do is drop the water and fill with fresh when we want to go. After this trip I have some trailer repairs to complete. Installing the rails and roof rack right this weekend.
I need to get out camping again. I have only been once this year. :mad:

Keep the pics coming HJ.
You do need to get "out there". Here are more pics: Olive Lake, OR

sfsmedic

Adventurer
Hey Henry,

I just found this thread. Great build so far. I have extensive background modding an avalanche. They are great rigs. I would recommend getting under the truck and reinforcing the steering box to the frame. I've seen them start to separate from the frame and it reacts like a death wobble under brake. Easy pre-emptive fix. Not sure how wild you want to get (your build and direction so far to date look great) but I'm always available for questions via pm here. I'll post a couple of my old rig if you don't mind, just to give you an idea what I'm referring to.
Original built front end
c6e4d895-14fe-d4fc.jpg

In 4Wheel and off road with A-Arm front end
c6e4d895-1533-7523.jpg

Rebuilding the front end for more travel and strength as the CVs were a constant weak point.
c6e4d895-155f-9afd.jpg

c6e4d895-156b-6414.jpg

Interior pic of cage
c6e4d895-1596-cd7a.jpg

Cage continued through to bed, rear shocks to four linked currie 9" and aluminum has tank under spare tires we built.
c6e4d895-1612-39a8.jpg

Lastly one of my favorite action shots.
c6e4d895-1627-d51d.jpg

Obviously a different style than what your looking for but my point is I've been building and rebuilding this rig for 10 years and any help I can be information wise I'm here to help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
Brett, Awesome Avalanche! I'd love to be there some day. A long travel IFS rig is right up my alley :) I had been leaning toward a 9" and Porsche CV front diff. A large version of Stewart's S-10 IFS.

I will look into frame reinforcements for the steering box. I was not aware of that as a weak point. I haven't seen it in the rigs out here. Terrain may play a part? I would like to be ahead of the curve too though.

Feel free to share more of ANY Avalanche pics!

Last edited:

sfsmedic

Adventurer
If you do the ifs lift and want long travel you're on the right path with the Porsche CVs. Although it was always the outer ones I had fail when they did fail. To much travel and then a full lock turn and boom the half shaft would fall out. Something I thought about (can't remember who made them) were some telescoping half shafts. Now those were beefy.

Last edited:

laker

Great to see some Avalanche builds going on. In a week or so I will post up some pics of my young son's avy. This 19 yr old has been putting some serious big effort into his 05 rig. Right now its off getting a wrap done onto the new cowl hood,which is the only work he has not done himself. He has converted his 8 offroad lights all to HID to match his all HID headlights and fog lights. He has plans to do more modding, to make it even more one-of-a-kind for our neck of the woods. I am sure he could get some very good advice from the great people on this site. Looking forward to posting the pics. There are truly some great ideas on here.

Ovis Canis

Observer
I remember seeing a mod some where of a celluloid piston installed in the tailgate wired to the door locks. Key fob now locks 5 doors. Cant find it now.

fcfred

I own a big avalanche, but have been thinking about a re-do. I'm not sure I'll go this way, but this was last nights photo chop fest, maybe someone else will build it.

TRAVALANCHE SMALL.jpg

sfsmedic

Adventurer
Hey Fred. Not red anymore eh? How have you been haven't seen ya since we took the white one out to the desert that day.

fcfred

I'm good.
i was thinking about your truck today. What fuel cell did you run? did you keep all the factory fuel pump stuff, or go aftermarket?
I've been wondering about replacing my tank with a cell so I could link the rear.

sfsmedic

Adventurer
We built the cell and ran aftermarket external pumps. It was built so the tires could sit over it in the bed cage.
Picture003.jpg

Picture006.jpg

When we went to beams on this truck I nearly went to Dana 60s front and back but figured I'd be better off sticking to long travel. Now I'm not so sure.

fcfred

have you had issues with the ttb or 9-inch?

I'm going to pull the rear steer axle and go back to a 14-bolt.

I'll probably keep it leaf springs, but I was thinking recently about going to a rear fuel cell and link the back. but I don't want shocks in the bed i don't think.

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
Shaved the body side moldings today:

shaved.JPG
shaved4.JPG

There was some discoloration on the drivers side molding. That was the excuse that I needed. I am not a fan of those anyway. Some day I may liner the bodyline down and flares.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier