Monument Valley Tour and Excursion
monument_valley.jpg

(see this dude's gallery)
Anyone interested in this trip?
Friday Sept 1:
  • Camping South of Flagstaff
Saturday Sept 2:
  • Meeting in Flagstaff as necessary
  • Continuing on to Tuba City to speak with Parks and Rec.
  • Continue to Mon. Valley to tour during the afternoon, and locating a choice spot for evening photography. Procure guide as necessary.
  • Camping in the Navajo Nation, but outside of MV
Sunday Sept 3:
  • Tastey camp breakfast of huevos rancheros
  • Open. Perhaps more MV, but a "backcountry" route which will require a guide (by law); Or track back to Navao National Monument and Black Mesa; or take a long way home through Chinle and Canyon de Chelly; or head into New Mexico
  • Improvised camp, based on what we decide for Sunday. I'm leaning toward New Mexico.
Monday Sept 4:
  • Wake up at leisure
  • Make my weary way home

Question: Anyone done a backcountry tour of this place?

So, I'm looking for advice, a service you have used before, etc.
:1888fbbd:

So far, participants are me, my wife (Brooke), and the Wonder Runner.

Be well,
Mark

Last edited:

whitethaiger

Adventurer
It's been a few years that we've been over there, but at the time we were immediatly approached by people offering guide services. When we explained that we'd only do the 'regular' loop they insisted that it would be difficult to find without a guide. We took our chances....;)
Now I don't know if these guides are qualified/licensed to take you off the regular loop.

Have a great time out there!

articulate

Expedition Leader
whitethaiger said:
...they insisted that it would be difficult to find without a guide. We took our chances....;)
Now I don't know if these guides are qualified/licensed to take you off the regular loop.

Have a great time out there!
:)

I suppose they didn't see your incredible navigation system, eh?

Well, yes, you've hit a goot point. I want to check out what the backcountry of MV has to offer - I need a guide, but I want a good one too. Not just a hack I pick up at the center.

?Alguien?

I remain on the hunt.

Mark

S

Scenic WonderRunner

Mark.........

I've been searching for info and it's NOT easy to find.

...and Mark!......remember..........NO BEER in the park.....or you are toast!:p

Here is a pretty good site.

http://www.monumentvalleyonline.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=document&ID=4

This Desert USA website at least give some names of contacts.

Monument Valley

Rules & Regulations

It is the visitor's responsibility to know and obey park rules. Regulations are designed for visitors' protection and to protect natural resources.

Firewood gathering is prohibited.
Campfires are permitted only at designated campsites and fire sites.
No open fires are permitted in the campground.
Permits are required for camping, hunting, fishing or investigative projects.
The Navajo ask prior consent before photographing them or their property.
Commercial photography requires a permit from the Navajo Film and Media Commission.

Department of Broadcast Service
P.O. Box 308
Window Rock, AZ 86515
928-871-6656; 520-871-6655

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Monument Valley is administered by the Navajo Parks and Recreation Department, an agency of the Navajo Nation. For information write:

Navajo Parks and Recreation Department
P.O. Box 308
Window Rock, AZ 86515

Monument Valley
P.O. Box 360289
Monument Valley, UT 84536
435 727 5874

MONUMENTVALLEY_OSAMUH.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Scenic WonderRunner

Mark,

Based on the info below.........

Maybe some phone calls are in order.

Not trying to tell you what to do..........just trying to help out, because I've seen how hard it is to find info on Monument Valley.

http://www.navajonationparks.org/htm/monumentvalley.htm

This GORP Site............

It tells what the Guides can do for you and gives other info and idea's.

OutdoorPlaces.com

"Across the highway from Goulding is the turnoff that leads to the Navajo Tribal Park. For a fee you can drive the very rough 17-mile dirt road through some of the most famous vistas in the world. Recreational vehicles and vehicles with low clearance will have a very hard time on the road, which is impassible when it rains. If you decide to brave the conditions the best time is at first light or in the late afternoon. During these times long shadows highlight the features and bring out the deep rich colors of the valley. The road will take you by the Mittens, pictured, and also past Totem Pole, a 300 feet high monolith that is less than ten feet wide in some places.

Unfortunately touring other jeep roads or hiking through the park is not allowed unless accompanied by a tour guide. There are a number of tours you can take by jeep, horseback, airplane, helicopter, or foot. The park's Visitor Center can provide you information on local tour guides that usually can be found waiting in the parking lot. A 1-1/2 tour starts at $15, and if you don't trust your vehicle or your driving skills, you're better off spending the money."

articulate

Expedition Leader
Excellent, Mark. Thanks.

So, perhaps locating a guide when we arrive is going to be the best thing. I'm cool with that.

If you decide to brave the conditions the best time is at first light or in the late afternoon.
It's pretty imperative to me that I'm at some good places at these times also. For the record, I do have the paperwork in-hand to submit for a backcountry permit.

Some history in the making:
Mass wasting on The Mitten, May 2006 (it's a PDF).

Anyone interested in this trip?
Brooke and I are definately going.
I believe Mr. WonderRunner wants to come.

:arabia:

Mark

articulate

Expedition Leader
Scenic WonderRunner said:
ed127270.jpg

....make it happen Dude!......I Know YOU CAN!............:tent:

..........:friday: ......oops!....nobrewonres!!!!!!!!!...:sombrero:

DUDE! Yes. Perfect. C'mon, who wouldn't want to do this?

It appears that the formation in the background is the infamous mitten. Am I sounding like a classic idiot saying, "Oh I remember this rock!"

It's possible. The question stands if this is a by-foot or by-road destination...?

The entire area is plain awesome, I'm sure we won't have any trouble finding something sweet to camp at.

Mark

S

Scenic WonderRunner

Mark....

I've been checking at Topozone.....'cause I don't know any better.

...and it looks like a trail going up to "Mitchell Mesa"......that may just have that same perfect view!

Also...........

Look to the right on that map and see two other possibilites that might be better.

"North Window" .............and "Artist Point"

Just north of Rain God Mesa.

Just throwin' out ideas.

Not sure if I can put the topo map in here...but I'll try.

nope......just a link

Mitchell Mesa..........

articulate

Expedition Leader
Mitchell Mesa appears to be a popular guide-to spot. It will be worthy going up there, but highly unlikely that we can camp there.

I need to call the Navajo Nation Parks and Recreation to get the real information.

Work is pretty insane - which is why I post up around here more often - I hope I can remember to call tomorrow.

:beer:

articulate

Expedition Leader
Update

First meeting spot will be in Flagstaff, AZ at 8:00 am. Saturday September 2, 2006.

Chevron station somewhat off the 17 and 40:
357 W Forest Meadows St, Flagstaff, AZ
Link-a-roo

CB Channel 4 is the one.

PM me for my phone number.

:088:

Mark

articulate

Expedition Leader
Updated the first post with a schedule

Navajo Nation Parks and Rec told me that all we need is a permit for dispersed camping, which costs a few bucks. I'm going to drop into their office in Tuba City to get face-to-face info Saturday morning.

So, the trip will likely include a diversion into New Mexico on Sunday. Or should we do Utah? I'm interested in seeing cool stuff, and driving bad roads.

:088:

Mark

S

Scenic WonderRunner

Oh Great.........Mark!

Now you are gonna have me glued to the "topo~maps"..........!:088:

...........just kidding!

Sounds great!

......as long as I can carry enough gas to keep up with you.....:truck: ............LET'S DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!:1888fbbd: .......:arabia:

DiscoverNavajo.com.......

Here is a link to a Great Map of Navajo Land.........

NavajoCountryMap............

articulate

Expedition Leader
Camp Saturday night

Valley of the Gods, Utah.

This looks like a superb place to camp on Saturday night. Superb:
http://www.americansouthwest.net/utah/mexican_hat/valley_of_the_gods.html

The area [Valley of the Gods] has a 17 mile dirt road (FR 242) that winds amongst the eerie formations; it is very bumpy and steep in parts...nothing to indicate that free camping is not allowed.

I need a Utah map to verify that we can get close to the San Juan River. This is getting MORE interesting by the minute.

articulate

Expedition Leader
One more sales pitch:
getting_there.jpg

Friday Sept 1:
  • Camping South of Flagstaff
Saturday Sept 2:
  • Meeting in Flagstaff as necessary
  • Continuing on to Tuba City to speak with Parks and Rec.
  • Continue to Mon. Valley to tour during the afternoon, and locating a choice spot for evening photography. Procure guide as necessary.
  • Camping in the Navajo Nation, but outside of MV
Sunday Sept 3:
  • Tastey camp breakfast of huevos rancheros
  • Open. Perhaps more MV, but a "backcountry" route which will require a guide (by law); Or track back to Navao National Monument and Black Mesa; or take a long way home through Chinle and Canyon de Chelly; or head into New Mexico
  • Improvised camp, based on what we decide for Sunday. I'm leaning toward New Mexico.
Monday Sept 4:
  • Wake up at leisure
  • Make my weary way home

Trip is open to others.....
:camping:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier