RTT why so much $$$$

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
gier said:
...I would love to see the ground tent you are sleeping in for 600 bucks.

And for that I give you the recent tent review in the Overland Journal. You pay for quality. Simply put.

ThomD

Explorer
I'm a simpleton when it comes to the free market. If all of the products in a category sell for a certain range, I figure that is the range that produces the most profit. If one could sell more at a lower price, profitably, somebody would do it. Of course there are true one off products, but when there is competition, the market finds its own level.

Yikes... is there a point to this thread:confused:

I think your question was answered very well by Kurt and others.

Its the way of the world. Everyone has to make a profit. Remember these companies have to make a profit to pay employees, fund research and development, etc. I don't think $825 - $1,500 is asking a lot for something like this. One can not compare a ground tent to a roof top. A whole different class... and yes I still use a 10+ year old ground tent.

Last edited:

Mc Taco

American Adventurist
Gier, I truly am looking forward to see what you create. I hope that you have some cool ideas and that your designs suit your needs/wants. I may even "steal" some if they could help me out. Technology advances when someone says "I can do better than that". It can be a real pleasure to brainstorm a project and see if something is feasible. Again, all the luck and please post pics of what you come up with.

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
well guys....I don't think his question was totally out of line...

I don't think you can justify the cost of roof top tent based on the cost of materials. A lot of products have more expensive components and cost less. Think about an Iphone for instance.

I think it's more a matter of demand vs offer and shipping/handling.

From a pure financial/economical point of view, if the demand was high the price would drop a lot - just like any other product on the market.

MuddyMudskipper

Camp Ninja
2aroundtheworld said:
well guys....I don't think his question was totally out of line....

Ahh, but the comparison wasn't entirely apples to apples either. If the comparison were adressing the worth of the basic function of each as a shelter the original post might make more sense, but it didn't so it doesn't. Comparing the cost of Hannibal vs. Mombassa or a Springbar tent vs. a Kodiak Canvas tent are much less murky comparisons.

2aroundtheworld said:
I don't think you can justify the cost of roof top tent based on the cost of materials. A lot of products have more expensive components and cost less. Think about an Iphone for instance.

I think it's more a matter of demand vs offer and shipping/handling.

From a pure financial/economical point of view, if the demand was high the price would drop a lot - just like any other product on the market.

IMO the demand has dictated the "new" players in the RTT arena. Manufacturing in a country with lower material costs and inexpensive labor has afforded such companies the luxury of lowering RTT prices while making what some folks feel are improvements and equal quality.

If materials aren't a justification for price then a moped should cost the same as a bicycle, if not less. From a pure manufacturing point of view there is no denying the fact that the price of materials (by number of raw goods), labor, and shipping is higher for an RTT than a GT regardless of numbers sold. Cost of warehousing inventory as raw goods and finished goods are also a factor in production.

Anyways, I am looking forward to seeing gier's finished RTT. :26_7_2:

Last edited:

gier

I asked two simple questions.
One why are they so much. This is the one most people tend to focus on.
The other is did any one have any other ideas for some thing that is fast to set up and take down. Most seem to miss that one and instead need to hash out and seem to justify why they spent some much on some thing to them selfs to the tune of 3 pages of posts.
I get a good laugh out of this.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
2aroundtheworld said:
Think about an Iphone for instance.

True, probably more so the original iPhone, though. The new 3G iPhone 8G at $199 is probably a much slimmer profit for Apple if it wasn't for the revenue shared by AT&T for a 2 year contract at $2,400 or more. But your point that sometimes the market price does not reflect the actual accounted cost of materials and labor is right on. But for whatever reason, no access to materials or tools, insufficient education, skill or training, no time, etc. the available to purchase product is often chosen over doing it yourself. In the case of the iPhone and RTTs, I think the reason the price is high is because the demand is high and supply is not unlimited. There is the buzz and cool factors, too. A generic MP3 player will never sell at the same price as a iPod Nano, even if the quantifiable differences are minimal. The iPod interface (just like the iPhone, OS X, most of Apple's products) is what sets it apart. The hardware is largely the same. So how do you value a better interface? You are either willing to pay for it or not. You can get $500 RTTs, but they are not the innovators and they are not made well.

ThomD

Explorer
gier said:
I asked two simple questions.
One why are they so much. This is the one most people tend to focus on.
The other is did any one have any other ideas for some thing that is fast to set up and take down. Most seem to miss that one and instead need to hash out and seem to justify why they spent some much on some thing to them selfs to the tune of 3 pages of posts.
I get a good laugh out of this.

Meaningful discussion on the internet is hard. You say that you asked two questions (and you did). But, the title of your post inclines most people to address only one of them. I have no idea what your intention was, but I will say that I (and I presume others) read your post to have a subtext along the lines of "People who buy RTT have more money than sense." Whenever you delve into small communities and niche markets, outsiders often are put off but the cost of specialized equipment associated with the community. They sing the song of "More money than sense". People in the community often take the approach of "If you knew what you were talking about, you'd understand" or "if you could afford it you would buy it". This trend repeats itself over and over.

Fortunately, most people here don't get too crazy about those points of view.

Your last sentence probably sounded good when you typed it, but at this end of the interwebs, it comes across as ridicule.

The people who said that they would be interested in what you came up with are genuinely interested. Do something cool and people here will be impressed, regardless how much you do or do not spend. If you want to hash out specific ideas, folks around here will generously give all sorts of advice and share their experiences. This is an inventive group of people. If they are skeptical, don't take it personally. They've all seen (and had) great ideas that just didn't work out.

FWIW, I don't own and will probably never own a RTT. The value isn't there for me. That doesn't mean that I can't accept that others do see a value.

Desertdude

Expedition Leader
I think of how much money and time the RRT has saved me over the years of ownership - if you travel a lot it can save you motel costs. If you move from one camp site to another it saves you time and effort. This directly pays me back in my pocket, the tent becomes free in less than a years time.

Lets not forget to add company profit to the final numbers without this a company cannot stay in business.

Not to split hairs (I use both the Maggiolina and Columbus tents) Actually the fastest RTT to set up and take down is the Columbus :)

Columbus

I still prefer the Maggiolina due to the breathable fabric component and the fiberglass top and design protects the tent from heavy rains a bit better.

Maggiolina

Whoknows

Observer
cost

I have always told myself that the main cost issue is the fact that the quality RTTs are all made overseas. They are very bulky and heavy. I've always imagined that the shipping and other costs (devalued dollar in recent years -- international trade costs etc.) are the fly in the ointment, so to speak. Does anyone know what one of the RTTs from say S. Africa or Oz cost for a local?

I think there is a real opportunity for an American based RTT manufacturer. Our US labor and other costs might eat up any savings in the other areas, I truly dunno.

IH8RDS

Explorer
Gier,

I too have ponderd this. If you have a tent, then you can justify it. Just like I run ARB lockers and I think that anyone is crazy not to spend $800 a piece on them. Why wouldnt you. :bike_rider:

I dont have a RTT, but if I did I would defend it untill I die.:ar15:

I want to see what you come up with as a cost effective solution. I think you are on the right track and it can be made for cheaper.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier