Big custom camper sightings

motorman

i saw a Bimobil 'C Class' on what i believe was an iveco chassis this past sunday at Newfound Gap

was pulling in as they were leaving, so no pic, white with blue stripe up top

travesty we do not have access to these units

gregmchugh

Observer
i saw a Bimobil 'C Class' on what i believe was an iveco chassis this past sunday at Newfound Gap

was pulling in as they were leaving, so no pic, white with blue stripe up top

travesty we do not have access to these units

Is there really a big enough opportunity in the U.S. for a company like IVECO, MAN, etc. to be successful competing against the well entrenched suppliers who are here. A huge investment to enter a new market with not really that large of a potential for sales. How many 4wd trucks per year would be sold here by these companies as the base for expedition vehicles or other applications??

Last edited:

motorman

the travesty is that i as a US citizen drove a ford focus diesel wagon in 2000 and achieved 48+ mpg yet this is never available here

is the mass market here in the US for these OEM's . . . NO due to wal-mart / disposal mentality of the consumerism citizen

should i be able to start a small business and import 8-10 quality late model used european units each year and sell on the US open market . . . short answer YES

risk is mine and caveat emptor

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Is there really a big enough opportunity in the U.S. for a company like IVECO, MAN, etc. to be successful competing against the well entrenched suppliers who are here. A huge investment to enter a new market with not really that large of a potential for sales. How many 4wd trucks per year would be sold here by these companies as the base for expedition vehicles or other applications??

Mitsubishi and Isuzu is here, and lower volume (compared to the big 3 and others), so why can't Iveco insert themselves? Such a manufacturer could sell RWD as well as 4WD.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
the travesty is that i as a US citizen drove a ford focus diesel wagon in 2000 and achieved 48+ mpg yet this is never available here

is the mass market here in the US for these OEM's . . . NO due to wal-mart / disposal mentality of the consumerism citizen

should i be able to start a small business and import 8-10 quality late model used european units each year and sell on the US open market . . . short answer YES

risk is mine and caveat emptor

Maybe also lobbyists and CARB/EPA??

gregmchugh

Observer
Mitsubishi and Isuzu is here, and lower volume (compared to the big 3 and others), so why can't Iveco insert themselves? Such a manufacturer could sell RWD as well as 4WD.

I would think that setting up a dealer network would be a major issue for Iveco to enter the market here. They have no direct tie to anyone already here to leverage an existing dealer network.

Fuso has been in the U.S. for along time and is now owned 90% by Daimler and they do assembly of the current model at a Freightliner plant in the U.S.

Isuzu has been here a long time too with a much larger dealer network than Fuso and they have the major share of the market for their truck models.

Not that easy to enter against this competition and dealer networks.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
I would think that setting up a dealer network would be a major issue for Iveco to enter the market here. They have no direct tie to anyone already here to leverage an existing dealer network.

Fuso has been in the U.S. for along time and is now owned 90% by Daimler and they do assembly of the current model at a Freightliner plant in the U.S.

Isuzu has been here a long time too with a much larger dealer network than Fuso and they have the major share of the market for their truck models.

Points taken. We can all dream, eh?

Pinnacle Campers

Chateau spotter

The company that owns Iveco also controls Case and New Holland. Not exactly a "no ties" situation.

gregmchugh

Observer
Are they going to train more than 1 U500 technician this time? :p

I’ll believe this when I see it. Hard to imagine why they would bring the Unimog back again. Supporting a vehicle with limited sales numbers just seems too costly to make sense.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles