Big custom camper sightings

cwsqbm

Explorer
I'm brand new here and this is my very first post. It is a bit critical.

Wow. I read the title of this thread, and thought "awesome lets see some Big Custom campers" you know - like the title said. Started skimming through the pages, and gave up at page 12, thinking I had accidentally leapt to an Earthroamer commercial/brochure/reunion. When I skipped to the last page, my faith was renewed. Behold, a non-ER at the top of the page. Woo hoo! Pretty cool rig actually. And two posts later, back into the ER commercial.

When I have more patience, I will have to skim through the rest of the pages for some other, interesting rigs. Having been to the ER site, I have a pretty good idea what all of them look like. So endeth my rant...

Actually, the reason Earthroamers dominate the early part of this thread is that this thread, when first created was called something like "Earthroamers spotted." After awhile, some non-Earthroamers were posted and eventually the thread title was changed to be more inclusive.

Okanagone

Thank you cwsqbm for the explanation. That makes sense. Now I know that I will have to look a little further.

To AeroNautiCal, thanks for pointing out one of the three names in the title of the Forum. Since it implied that there were others, I expected that, maybe, there would be a bit more to it. From the title: "Big" led me to believe they would be big (6x6 or Unimog/MAN/Tatra based, not a pickup); "Custom" led me to believe they would be, well, custom. Kind of like the one at the top of this page.

Don't get me wrong, I would love an EarthRoamer, especially one of the new ones that they are basing on the F-650. But they are to campers what Ferraries are to cars - limited number,high end (but still production), campers. There isn't a lot of variance between them, somewhat like the platform they are built on. Once you have seen a Ford Super Duty, there isn't a lot that will suprise you from one to the next, unless you see one that is "custom"ized. 12 pages of "I saw one", got me to wonder where were the custom, one off, back yard creations that show the capabilities and creativity of those who build, or at least modify their rigs to do the kind of camping that "expedition" implies. At least GEV and Unicat have a few different offerings on a bunch of different platforms, and believe me, as soon as I win the lottery, I will be giving all of them a call - including ER. Which one I end up with, well you will have to watch this site to see. Hopefully sooner rather than later.

gaberelli

Observer
Sorry for the double post but I think this is where this s supposed to be.

My dad saw this rig down in AZ. He parked next to it for a photo op (my dad is in the Sprinter) and had an interesting encounter with the owner. Anyone know this rig?

IMG_0663_zps32694a47.jpg

truck mechanic

Adventurer
a little late to poet but saw an er in Jacksonvill fla, heading sounth on 95 the morning of, 3/17/13 I was just leaving from bike week and heading home, just caught a quick view at first and knew just what it was, first time i saw one inperson, looked very cool!

Kaiser Soze

What is this??

Friends of mine saw this beast in Aspen this weekend. I'm sorry I wasn't there to give it a once-over!photo (1).jpg

matthewp

Combat Truck Monkey
Friends of mine saw this beast in Aspen this weekend. I'm sorry I wasn't there to give it a once-over!View attachment 153701

That! My friend, is an Army (I don't know if the USMC has them) HEMTT, or Heavy, Expanded Mobility Tactical Transport (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heavy_Expanded_Mobility_Tactical_Truck)!

Seriously heavy duty (emphasis on the "heavy") trucks but the cabs are only suitable for hobbits and the turning radius involves multiple ZIP Codes! On the positive side, it could haul just about anything you want weight-wise. I've witnessed a wrecker model pull a fully loaded M 1070/M 1000 HET with loaded trailer (+ or - 250,000lbs.) down an Iraqi highway at 40 MPH!

Guri

Explorer
Sorry for the double post but I think this is where this s supposed to be.

My dad saw this rig down in AZ. He parked next to it for a photo op (my dad is in the Sprinter) and had an interesting encounter with the owner. Anyone know this rig?

IMG_0663_zps32694a47.jpg

I saw it too in Page, Arizona. At that moment was a Sherman Shepherd at the driver side.

IMG_5929.JPG
IMG_5931.JPG

codename607

Adventurer
I spotted a earthromer (Grey F-250) driving down route 1 here in Laurel MD. It was the first one I ever saw. I was stopped at a traffic light when I saw it and I didn't have time to snap a pic. Sure wish I could have stopped this guy.

Anyone know somebody with something like this in MD?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz