Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: School a Jeep Guy on Discos.

Default School a Jeep Guy on Discos.

A Couple of months back I was on here asking about Series rover. Mostly 88's, since that time Iíve gotten a new job and had my time pretty filled up. Now that gas prices are coming down Iíve decided to start looking for a suitable expedition vehicle again. I have a 98 TJ thatís set up for 4+ trials (Lockers, 35ís, Atlas II), and have been dally driving a 2007 2 door Wrangler dally. I had bought a Wagoner last fall hoping to make it into my long hall ride. But that Gas Mileage was less than advertised and it need more work than I wanted to do (oh and then thereís that darn old carb). That about the time a started looking at 88ís and 109ís, now I know I want something newer again with less work to get started. That brought me to the Discovery. Now what I know about modern Rovers is well not all that much. I know about the Electoral problems from an old buddy for school with a D-90 and I have picked up camping on the Site that the mid 1990ís Series 1 are more reliable than newer one. I also have a Cousin who has a 2003 Discovery who has tons a trouble. Cousin aside I love the History of Land Rover and find it close to my beloved Jeep. With that I have decide a Discovery embodies what Iím looking for in a overland/ expedition SUV. SO enough with my life, I wanted to get an ideal of what to look for in a Disco. I would like to know the best Years to buy and what problems to look for as I look on E bay and Craigís list. I want to try to know just what I want when I got to buy. All Iíve got right now is color, green or red. Oh and I really done want to spend more that four or five Grand.

Also any help in the after market would be nice. I know about Rovertym, but that about it. Iím looking to put it on 33ís with 4.10 gears other than that Iím open to help.

Thanks for any help and fell free to blast my dreams if you want.

Nate

2006 Land Rover Discovery3/LR3 SE

Former

Old Automobiles
    2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
    1999 Land Rover Discovery SD
    2007 Jeep Wrangler X
    2004 Ford F-250 XLT
    1998 Jeep Wangler Sport
    1984 BMW 318i
    Trailers
    1990 Coleman Colorado
    M416a1
    M416

I wish they had a "can of worms" smiley Nate.

Where to start? If you want ecomomy, these really don't do well at 14-18 for a stock one. as you know the more you build the lower that goes.. They are really neat rigs, comfortable and relly pretty reliable with the only wierdness coming from extra's like sunroofs and too much electrical type options. most of the common problems are really very common and quite simple to fix, cold solder joints and water getting into the extra electronics.

They are pretty well supported in the aftermarket by guys like myself and you mentioned Rovertym and others, not as cheap as Jeeps or Toyotas based on the economy of scale so to speak.

A Lot of fun though.. You'll love them or hate them.

My personal experience (and there will sure to be arguments against) but 94 to 99 disco ones are pretty good pieces of work. the later OBD2 cars are no more complicated than any other of the vintage and pretty easy to figure out. 94-5 Disco's have Distributers so they're even easier but I'm not too keen on the 14 cux engine control system this may only be lack of experience as I haven't owned many.

1987-95 Range Rovers are cool too! Havining the same suspension as teh Disco's and the Defenders in a strange but Classic design that started before I was in high school.

Support from the aftermarket for parts is outstanding and I would say even surpasses Jeeps. It is pretty easy to get parts for your 1955 Land Rover, having owned many Jeeps i can't say the same for my old CJ5.

They are quirky and unique, not overly complicated to learn and fun to live with if you pay attention to them.

They take abuse pretty well too (after you fix the weak points)
    Cheers!

Keith
    04 Dodge 3500 4X4 CUMMINS POWERED!
    RT1 '97 Disco SD (on steroids) Sold
    RT2 '97 Disco XD (built to rock)
    RT110 '85 110 (Getting bigger, badder and better)
    '95 RRC LWB (Sadly it is sold )
    '67 S2a 109 SW (someday I'll finish it) Sold...

Alaska Mike is offline Expedition Portal Moderator ExPo Moderator/Eye Candy
    Look at the Expeditions West Disco I thread. That's pretty much the Disco you'd want, if you can find it.

You are talking about a vehicle rapidly approaching 15 years old, so maintenance will have to be done. Don't expect exceptional gas mileage.

Rovers are an iconic expedition vehicle. Practical reasons very seldom factor into owning one. It's a love thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Mike
    Practical reasons very seldom factor into owning one. It's a love thing.
    Ed Zachary.
    Ho Chung -- W6HC

yeah I know the gas mileage will not be great but I drove a Wrangler on 35 for a long time. So 12 to 15 is great for me just not the 6 to 8 my waggy was getting.
    2006 Land Rover Discovery3/LR3 SE

Former

Old Automobiles
    2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
    1999 Land Rover Discovery SD
    2007 Jeep Wrangler X
    2004 Ford F-250 XLT
    1998 Jeep Wangler Sport
    1984 BMW 318i
    Trailers
    1990 Coleman Colorado
    M416a1
    M416

Things to look for..

-No Rotoflex rear driveshaft. Some D1 had a rear driveshaft that used a rubberdisc instead of a ujoint. These do not last when you add a lift kit. You can replace it with a ujoint but that takes a whole new driveshaft and adapter.
    -No sunroofs. People say they leak alot of the time.
    -1997-1999 Series1 has the ODBII computer system. I like ODBII, for $75 you can get a code reader that will answer alot of your questions.
    -Leaks. Look at the power steering box, Most of them leak, but with that said I own two Disco right now and both are not leaking.
    -Rust. They do have a steel under body, so open the rear doors, where the wheel well meets the door can be a rust spot.
    -Location... Southwest area is the best to look for a rustfree Disco.

After buying..
    -do some main't work right away.
    -new belts
    -new hoses
    -re-pack the wheel bearings, Disco1 bearings are not a all-in-one unit like jeeps or Disco2. Both of my Disco had a wheel bearing lookup at around 100k, It is not fun to fit one then.
    -change axle oil and T-case. Nonlike Jeeps, there is a drain plug.
    RonL
    Her's 1999 Green Disco (lifted and racked)
    His 1997 White Disco (lifted and locked)
    1995 GMC 3/4 ton with camper

If you want a D1, get a 98. If you want a D2, get a 2004. That's a pretty common recommendation.

In my opinion, these trucks don't have any more electrical issues than any other vehicle. At least not the D2's. Yeah, stuff happens. Stuff happens to every car. Well OK, maybe not Toyotas, but other than that...

An '04 Discovery S (like mine). No sunroofs, no leather, no armrests, no bling..

But is standard with a 4.6l that's getting me between 14 and 18mpg, a CDL that works like a charm, a 4ETC system that Land Rover finally got perfect (and is licensing to Toyota). My rig has spent more than 50% of its life off-road; now at 75,000 miles.....Only problem was having to put new input seal in transfer box........

Only mods that I've needed to go damned near anywhere in N. Nevada are a small (2.5") lift, a set of 265/75R-16 BFG TAs, some front bumper trimming, a homebuilt rear bumper that has reduced rear overhang, a pair of homebuilt sliders (that hide behind the plastic sill piece). Mods that I've added that really haven't been necessary are skid plates under gas tank and radiator/steering (neither has taken any major hits).

LR finally perfected the Disco2 for its final production year:

Rocky - Trans-Nevada-Trek Trail Boss - '04 Land Rover Discovery S

Quote Originally Posted by FortyMileDesert
    An '04 Discovery S (like mine). No sunroofs, no leather, no armrests, no bling..

But is standard with a 4.6l that's getting me between 14 and 18mpg, a CDL that works like a charm, a 4ETC system that Land Rover finally got perfect (and is licensing to Toyota). My rig has spent more than 50% of its life off-road; now at 75,000 miles.....Only problem was having to put new input seal in transfer box........

Only mods that I've needed to go damned near anywhere in N. Nevada are a small (2.5") lift, a set of 265/75R-16 BFG TAs, some front bumper trimming, a homebuilt rear bumper that has reduced rear overhang, a pair of homebuilt sliders (that hide behind the plastic sill piece). Mods that I've added that really haven't been necessary are skid plates under gas tank and radiator/steering (neither has taken any major hits).

LR finally perfected the Disco2 for its final production year:
    I have been searching Autotrader just to get an idea on the prices and from the pictures I have seen sunroofs in all of "S" models that I could find. Of course they could have improperly listed the model designation as well. Are there no sunroof's at all on the "S" model, or just one in the front? Maybe I'm confused thinking that there is one above the front and rear seats on the other models? Showing my Disco ignorance...cut me some slack I'm a Cruiser guy
    Last edited by ChuckB; 10-23-2008 at 10:43 PM.
    CURRENT:
    2004 UZJ100-LX470

PAST:
    '72 FJ55
    '00 UZJ100-LX470
    '86 FJ60

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast