School a Jeep Guy on Discos.

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
Oh I'm fine with doing most of my own work. ( won't touch a Tranny)

Another thing should I mostly look at Big Dealers and Privet sellers? I have seen a couple at some small ten car lots around Austin But I don't know any where to get a buyers check on one. There is a little place called Old English motor works around the corner from my house but I don't know anything about them.

thanks again

Nate

revor

Explorer
I'd say hunt at the dealers to get a look at them. But in the end you'll get a better deal from a Private Seller.
Get one that is as unmodified as possible.

I bought two of my thre D1's off Ebay and got smoking deals, In 02 I got a 97 SD (no sunroofs)with 70K for $7000 shipped. The guys said it had engie problems and a load clunk in the suspension, he was right. The spark plug wire were out of order and the rubber bushing on the right front shock was missing. Car was perfect after that.

I also bought a 99 SD off EBay that was in 05 11000 miles $12k shipped.

Our third was from a friend.

Wanderlusty

Explorer
I have recently started peeking at Discos too. There are a couple here in town for sale.

One is super-high mileage, near 200k, but only $4500 or so. I think it was a 98? Mebby older?

The other is a 2002 SD with only 63K and listed for around $10K. Single sunroof up front. Good price....or a bit high?

I have read in this thread that the 2004 is the way to go. The local Rover dealer has an 04 for $16K....but that is beyond the budget I want to consider, as I am trying to shrink my car budget, and $16K is beyond what I want to look at.

Is the 2002 all that bad? And....what are some of these mechanical gremlins that I keep reading on?

I do have to say that I like the overall package, but definitely some things that jumped out at me (this is the first Disco I have looked at in detail, up close) that I found surprisingly low quality for any brand, let alone a luxury brand. What gives? Examples are a loose headliner, and a lot of cheap (flimsy?) feeling plastics.

Ideally I would prefer to find a stripped down D1 with low miles...but gold is hard to find....

I am also (currently) in the position of needing a dealer that accepts trades vs. a private seller. I cannot believe how little traction my Taco has been getting since I put it up for sale.....

revor

Explorer
Loose headliner? Never seen that before!!! Actually they all do that, May RRC, My Disco's and the 110..

A sunroof and rear air-less Disco 1 is the ticket in my book..

A problem on pre 96's is the dash cover starts to peal back at the forward edge, there's a fix but it's not real pretty and to do it right the windshield needs to be removed..

Let's see where is the car made? The UK! And what do you think of when you think about the great Island nation? It's chilly, Rainy, humid and really dark at night.
Some of the biggest issues LR's have are:
The Wipers don't work so well.
They leak.
They seem to be allergic to water.
The HVAC System is marginal (non existant in a Defender)
Adhesives that seem to dissapate in humid weather.
The interior lighting for the gauges and whatnot is dim and hard to read (again Defender stuff)
It's a internal joke amonst many LR owners especially Defenders but Disco's and RRC's fit the mold too..

It's also why we like them so much and get so good at fixing them.

Wanderlusty

Explorer
So is the 2002 to be avoided? Or is it still ok, if not quite as good as the D1 or the '04 D2? And is the price on the 02 (assuming it is worth the pursuit) ok? I mean, I checked KBB...but that is just a guide....

FortyMileDesert

Adventurer
A 2002 Discovery with only 63k on it is a find.
But $10,000 is a bit too much for it unless it is PERFECT.
They do not have a center differential lock CDL).
A few early 2002s have the CDL in the Xfr Box but would need linkage.
Late '02s do not have CDL capability.
The traction control system on the '02 is not as effective as the '03 and '04.
The '02 still had the 4.0 liter engine ('03 and '04 have 4.6).

If the truck has been fully maintained (and has records to prove it), then it is just barely broken in. Offer $6000 and if you can get it at less than $7000 buy it.

- - - The dealer '04 would be a better truck. Offer them $11,000 and buy it at $12,500. You should be able to get the dealer to add the "certified" warranty on the '04 if the mileage is low enough.

If you decide on a Disco1; have about $4000 in the bank for repairs - or - $2000 if you are a good mechanic and can get parts easily. Do not pay more than $3000 for any Disco1 unless it has been fully restored and can prove it.....

michaels

Explorer
FortyMileDesert said:

this information is wrong. early 2001s have the CDL on the transfer case, but are missing the linkage. late 2001s have neither the linkage nor the lock in the transer case.
2002 and 2003 discos also have neither, so a new tranfer case would be in order. (can be had for 350-500 clams).

cheers,
mike

edited for spelling.

Wanderlusty

Explorer
FortyMileDesert said:
A 2002 Discovery with only 63k on it is a find.
But $10,000 is a bit too much for it unless it is PERFECT.
They do not have a center differential lock CDL).
The traction control system on the '02 is not as effective as the '03 and '04.
The '02 still had the 4.0 liter engine ('03 and '04 have 4.6).

If the truck has been fully maintained (and has records to prove it), then it is just barely broken in. Offer $6000 and if you can get it at less than $7000 buy it.

- - - The dealer '04 would be a better truck. Offer them $11,000 and buy it at $12,500. You should be able to get the dealer to add the "certified" warranty on the '04 if the mileage is low enough.

If you decide on a Disco1; have about $4000 in the bank for repairs - or - $2000 if you are a good mechanic and can get parts easily. Do not pay more than $3000 for any Disco1 unless it has been fully restored and can prove it.....

I like those numbers, but I am skeptical I could get either dealer (the 02 is at a general 'import' dealer, the 04 at the Rover dealer) to come that far off either vehicle.

I have found (repeatedly) that the dealers in this state think that we have no other options and price and negotiate accordingly. The last 2 vehicles I have bought I have bought from out of state, larger cities.

I may take a swing at the 02, just because that is closer to my budgets liking, but I am not too optimistic that they will go for it.

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
Well I think Im going to try and find a 98. What are the best lift and tire combos. Im wanting not to go bigger than 33 I was think that 255/75's would be a nice fit too. What other options are there than Old Man Emu and rover Tym.

thanks

Nate

Scott Brady

Founder
The DI is compact and nimble, and really does not need a 33"+ tire for anything but extreme terrain. The 245/75 is a great size (about a 31") and the 235/85 R16 gets you to 32". I would not recommend anything larger than that, unless significant investment in axles, etc. is planned.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles