School a Jeep Guy on Discos.

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
Dose anyone have a picture of the Rotoflex rear driveshaft. I want to know what not to look for when I start crawlen under Disco's this month.

michaels

Explorer
TexasTJ said:
Dose anyone have a picture of the Rotoflex rear driveshaft. I want to know what not to look for when I start crawlen under Disco's this month.

if you don't see a ujoint, then that is a rotoflex.

Scott Brady

Founder
I would not worry about the Rotoflex too much, unless you plan to lift it considerably. I carry a spare, and they are super easy to replace.

To adjust the pinion angle, I just fitted an Inland Rovers pinion angle correction block.

haven

Expedition Leader
I get the "no bling" aspect of the 2004 Discovery S model.
But is there a functional reason why the SE is less attractive
as an ExPo vehicle? Perhaps the leaky sunroof?

There were lots more SEs sold, and they are often available
at lower prices than the S model.

Incidentally, in searching AutoTrader, I see plenty of S models
with sunroof and leather interior. The bumpers are not painted
and there are no fog lights. So I conclude that a cloth interior
and sunroof delete were rare options in the 2004 S.

I see Land Rover recommends running the Discovery II models
on unleaded premium fuel. Does the 4.6L V8 run poorly on
unleaded regular?

Chip Haven

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
I don't see any disadvantage to the SE other than the leaky sunroof, which tends to lead to rotten floors. No reason other than that.

The truck runs "fine" on regular, but the milage takes a big dive. I did it once by accident and the milage went down to 10mpg, so it's a false economy (ie: you don't save money running regular).

Scott Brady

Founder
haven said:
I get the "no bling" aspect of the 2004 Discovery S model.
But is there a functional reason why the SE is less attractive
as an ExPo vehicle? Perhaps the leaky sunroof?
Chip Haven

The big appeal in my mind is to eliminate as much complexity as possible. That applies to Toyota as much as it does to Land Rover. Complexity and luxury options just rob payload and increase the failure points IMO.

DiscoveryXD

Adventurer
expeditionswest said:
The big appeal in my mind is to eliminate as much complexity as possible. That applies to Toyota as much as it does to Land Rover. Complexity and luxury options just rob payload and increase the failure points IMO.

amen to that. That's why I'm glad my truck has a low profile rack with no sunroofs.

MattScott

Approved Vendor
DiscoveryXD said:
amen to that. That's why I'm glad my truck has a low profile rack with no sunroofs.

I'm glad my truck has gorrilla taped sunroofs and a highlander rack!

I love it!:ar15:

FortyMileDesert

Adventurer
Keep it really simple:
No roof racks, no lights, no a-bars, no sunroofs, etc...
Everything that I need (even on 1500 mile/6 day expeditions) fits inside the truck:

G22CHARIOTAWAITS.jpg

Wanderlusty

Explorer
Hypothetically speaking, if one were wanting to keep the price of the vehicle between $5k-$8K, understanding that the 'primo' years for a D1 and D2 are 1998 and 2004, respectively....

If you had to choose between a 1998 and a 2000, only $1k difference in price, similar mileage (under 90K) , and the 2000 already had a nice ARB bumper on it....which would you go for?

Factors important in this deal are purchase price, and how much immediate need for maintenance I could expect for this age of vehicle. I know that could depend from vehicle to vehicle, but 'in general'.

Let me put it this way...I am looking to give up a 2004 DC Taco if I make a deal. I am trying to cut my payments significantly. Either of these two would roughly cut my payments in half. The Taco has been dead on reliable, save for a battle with the axle seals.

Will the 'average' Disco (of either vintage) cost more than $200 or so in maintenance per month (egad, I HOPE not!)...which would be the difference in the payment.

Worth mentioning is that even as a DD, I average maybe 500 miles a month driving right now (carpooling with wife). Simply put, if I could get somone to buy my Taco outright, I would not even replace it, but I am having ZERO bites, so now I have to look seriously (and quickly) at finding a trade I can make that can REALLY make an impact on the payment.

What I would like about the Disco is that it would keep me in a 4wd that I could still do some off-highway travel in. I also like what seems to be reasonable prices, though I know the Discos have their....quirks.....

I am not in a place to immediately sock a lot of $$$ into repairs (or mods) so between the two, is there a discernable difference?

2 years difference to me does not seem significant. It kind of makes me lean towards the 98, due to price, and that it seems that a lot of Rover folks actually think the D1 is better (or am I mistaken?).

I am fairly certain the 2000 doesn't have the center diff lock. Does the 98?

I don't mean to keep hi-jacking jeep guys thread, but any advice is appreciated.

Last edited:

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
+1000000000000 on the recommendation to just copy Scott's Expeditions West Disco from bumper to bumper. For one thing, he's spent the better part of a dozen years hatching the plan to own that rig. That should say something, right there.

If you get a DII, I also suggest getting a 2004 DII. With regard to buying a DII, so much is relative to the previous owners love and care of the vehicle. I hae a DII and while I love it, it sure likes to test that love.

I'm not supersticious, but I'm not going to talk about my rover's reliability. Every time I do....ding...a dash light alerts me to another woe. Just happened last week....again.

Someday I'll slip over to Scott's house on the other side of town, replace my DII with his DI and see if he notices. :peepwall:

revor

Explorer
Buy a D1.. You will be happy.. Buy a D2 you will forever be swearing.

You will deal with silly mechanical issues with the D1, most of which are seriously easy to work out, There's some leaking when the windshield rubber gets old, there are quirky thinngs that happen from time to time, also easy to get web help and understand). There is also a highly modifiable suspension that was way ahead of it's time when is was first built and is still quite remarkable (I can smoke a long arm TJ with my suspension) and extremely stable (look at top heavy 110's pulling 35 degrees on the trail) Ohh! and comfortable!

I have wheeled and explored in everything... (Dam near.. Really!) I stopped here.. This suspension, this car (even with it's silly electronics) and it's seriously average engine (this can be fixed) It's simple, tough (after you beef the obvious weak points) and extremely capable.

Going to Peru? (paying for the fuel for sure) I would hop in my beat up test/trail truck and get on the road... It has never let me down or left me stranded. Considering the abuse and the fact that it is completely ignored (in the herd) That's big..

Lets drive to Fairbanks.. January? ... I'll change my oil before I go..

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
2 years difference to me does not seem significant. It kind of makes me lean towards the 98, due to price, and that it seems that a lot of Rover folks actually think the D1 is better (or am I mistaken?).

I think it's fairer to say that that D1 folks think the D1 is better. D2 folks generally don't make the comparison, so you're just not hearing the other side of it.

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
Fat_Man said:
I don't mean to keep hi-jacking jeep guys thread, but any advice is appreciated.

Dont worry about it this is all good Info for me too! As a matter of fact I should probable be thinking you!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier