School a Jeep Guy on Discos.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
R_Lefebvre said:
I think it's fairer to say that that D1 folks think the D1 is better. D2 folks generally don't make the comparison, so you're just not hearing the other side of it.
As a D2 owner, I do think there is a lot of appeal to the simplicity and lower cost involved with the D1. Even little things like bumpers, sliders and such are cheaper for the D1. It's a tad smaller, which for my needs isn't a plus, but I would really like to not have to fret over the many complicated weaknesses the D2 has.

I spent roughly $13,000 on my D2 at the time I bought it a couple years ago. Had I taken that same amount of money shopping for a nice D1, I could have spent up to $8,000 on farkles to make a D1 an insane-mobile.

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
Well I fond a 98 that I like Its got 149000 miles on it. but is in pretty good looking shape. However it dose have a Crack in the manifold and a coolant leak some where. I told the guy I would have to see how much was going to have to be done to it before I would make an offer. Are there any good used and new parts dealer I should look at for cost. He want a little much 6,000 but I also think if I brought him 4 in cash he would take it.

thanks for the help guys.

Alaska Mike

ExPo Moderator/Eye Candy
How capable are you at making your own major repairs? That sounds like a possible major engine overhaul to me. Likely there are other issues with the vehicle as well. It might be worth it in the long run to find a better example with lower miles. It certainly would be cheaper. There are the "little old lady" Discos out there. You just have to look for them. Don't let enthusiasm cloud your judgement... like I did...

Parts for these vehicles overall aren't cheap, especially when you will likely have to mail order much of what you need. Rovers North and others have free shipping weekends, which does take the bite out of it if you plan ahead. Find a good mechanic that can do a compression test of any vehicle you find, and have him do a thorough once-over of it. Again, that will save you money in the long run.

In my case, I bought a $500 Series III against the advice of those who knew better. I've spent well in excess of 15 times that amount already, and it's further from the road than ever. However, at the end of the tunnel is a capable vehicle that fits my dreams and personality.

With the summer's gas prices and future doom and gloom predicted, there are plenty of good Discos on the market all over the country. Don't jump at the first likely one you see, unless that vehicle checks out. There's always another one...

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Flounder said:
As a D2 owner, I do think there is a lot of appeal to the simplicity and lower cost involved with the D1. Even little things like bumpers, sliders and such are cheaper for the D1. It's a tad smaller, which for my needs isn't a plus, but I would really like to not have to fret over the many complicated weaknesses the D2 has.

I spent roughly $13,000 on my D2 at the time I bought it a couple years ago. Had I taken that same amount of money shopping for a nice D1, I could have spent up to $8,000 on farkles to make a D1 an insane-mobile.

I guess being from the southwest you have options like that. For me, the decision is based more on how much rust you want. The older the car, the more rust it has. Period.

That aside, I find the prospects of working with a pre-OBDII engine management system absotuely terrifying. At least I can read my engine codes with a $30 scanner, instead of trying to work with an ancient, proprietary system. I also think that BMW and Ford did some good for the quality of the trucks, and the later the year, the better they got.

And I think some people are extrapolating the real measured unreliability of the older trucks onto the percieved complexity of the new ones to come up with an nightmare prophesy that isn't real.

MuddyMudskipper

Camp Ninja
R_Lefebvre said:
That aside, I find the prospects of working with a pre-OBDII engine management system absotuely terrifying. At least I can read my engine codes with a $30 scanner, instead of trying to work with an ancient, proprietary system. I also think that BMW and Ford did some good for the quality of the trucks, and the later the year, the better they got.

U.S. production run for the Discovery I is 1994-1998.

1994: Rover Group is taken over by BMW.

1996: The OBD-II specification is made mandatory for all cars sold in the United States. By 1997 all cars sold in the U.S. have OBDII.

Any car in the U.S. can be checked by a $30 scanner, including the '97 - '98 Discovery I.

1999: Introduction of the second generation of Discovery (Disco II).

2000: BMW breaks up the Rover Group and sells Land Rover to Ford for £1.8 billion.

2005: Introduction of the third-generation Discovery/LR3

2008: June 2, Tata Motors finalised their purchase of Jaguar and Land Rover from Ford.

Please, if info is going to be given, at least try to make sure the info accurate.

MuddyMudskipper

Camp Ninja
R_Lefebvre said:
What part are you disagreeing with? So 97-up D1's have OBDII?

Not disagreeing, fact checking. OBDII was a U.S. gov't requirement for '97 regardless of model or manufacturer. The '97 - '98 DI's fall under this umbrella so my previous post was referencing your blanket statement on the DI:

R_Lefebvre said:
That aside, I find the prospects of working with a pre-OBDII engine management system absotuely terrifying.

The rest is your opinion.

Last edited:

sven

Adventurer
Actually D1 is OBDII 96-99.

But I sorta prefer the 14CUX models (94-95). They are super easy to work on and very easy to diagnose too. And you dont even need a $30 scan tool...the code box s under the seat.

MuddyMudskipper

Camp Ninja
sven said:
Actually D1 is OBDII 96-99.

But I sorta prefer the 14CUX models (94-95). They are super easy to work on and very easy to diagnose too. And you dont even need a $30 scan tool...the code box s under the seat.

Must be a VIN split thing (like the '99 DI/DII?) because, my friend's '96 is a D1 w/ a dizzy and OBDI. I guess it depends on when the law was decreed too. And yes, my '95 was a breeze to tinker with, diagnose, and reset.

Wanderlusty

Explorer
Reata Rover said:
shop here

www.bvlr.com

very good vehicles, some '04's still under warranty. Check frequently

I gave them a shot. I am not impressed. In fact, I was quite put off by how dismissive they were towards me.

I told them up front I already had financing squared away. They offered me low end on the trade in (which I expected) but refused to budge a single dollar on the vehicles I was considering. A single dollar. (which I was not expecting)

It's like they didn't want to make the deal, but didn't want to just come out and say it.

Since when...especially in this economy....does a dealer avoid trying to make a deal with a motivated buyer who already has secured financing?

Geez, first you take away their commission on the financing and then want them to make a reasonable compromise on price too??

Wow, what a hard nose ;)

Just wait, a few more dealers will need fail until the remainders discover that they need to be just a little more flexible.

pint

Adventurer
Okay, so I'm another Cruiser guy thinking seriously about buying/building a Disco. Probably 1996-1998. I have always loved them and Scott Brady's buildup has me stoked! I have a few questions that haven't been answered yet:

As far as electrical gremlins, what do I need to look for? Are they so serious they can leave you stranded, or are they things like power windows, locks, etc?

How long do the engines last if taken care of? 100K, 200K, 300K?

Did any model/year Disco come with front and rear lockers like the 80 series Cruiser option? Sorry, I am uneducated as far as Rovers are concerned!

Many people say you will be happy if you can do your own maintenance. To what extent? I can do basic stuff like change all the fluids, brake pads, spark plugs, etc. I am not capable or interested in major stuff like internal engine or tranny work. What kind of work is typically necessary?

I am looking at a total budget for vehicle, maintenance and mods of $12-$14K for an overland expo vehicle. Probably driven 5-7K per year. Would I be better off with a Disco or Classic Range Rover?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles