School a Jeep Guy on Discos.

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
A Couple of months back I was on here asking about Series rover. Mostly 88's, since that time I’ve gotten a new job and had my time pretty filled up. Now that gas prices are coming down I’ve decided to start looking for a suitable expedition vehicle again. I have a 98 TJ that’s set up for 4+ trials (Lockers, 35’s, Atlas II), and have been dally driving a 2007 2 door Wrangler dally. I had bought a Wagoner last fall hoping to make it into my long hall ride. But that Gas Mileage was less than advertised and it need more work than I wanted to do (oh and then there’s that darn old carb). That about the time a started looking at 88’s and 109’s, now I know I want something newer again with less work to get started. That brought me to the Discovery. Now what I know about modern Rovers is well not all that much. I know about the Electoral problems from an old buddy for school with a D-90 and I have picked up camping on the Site that the mid 1990’s Series 1 are more reliable than newer one. I also have a Cousin who has a 2003 Discovery who has tons a trouble. Cousin aside I love the History of Land Rover and find it close to my beloved Jeep. With that I have decide a Discovery embodies what I’m looking for in a overland/ expedition SUV. SO enough with my life, I wanted to get an ideal of what to look for in a Disco. I would like to know the best Years to buy and what problems to look for as I look on E bay and Craig’s list. I want to try to know just what I want when I got to buy. All I’ve got right now is color, green or red. Oh and I really done want to spend more that four or five Grand.

Also any help in the after market would be nice. I know about Rovertym, but that about it. I’m looking to put it on 33’s with 4.10 gears other than that I’m open to help.

Thanks for any help and fell free to blast my dreams if you want.

Nate

:safari-rig:

revor

Explorer
I wish they had a "can of worms" smiley Nate.

Where to start? If you want ecomomy, these really don't do well at 14-18 for a stock one. as you know the more you build the lower that goes.. They are really neat rigs, comfortable and relly pretty reliable with the only wierdness coming from extra's like sunroofs and too much electrical type options. most of the common problems are really very common and quite simple to fix, cold solder joints and water getting into the extra electronics.

They are pretty well supported in the aftermarket by guys like myself and you mentioned Rovertym and others, not as cheap as Jeeps or Toyotas based on the economy of scale so to speak.

A Lot of fun though.. You'll love them or hate them.

My personal experience (and there will sure to be arguments against) but 94 to 99 disco ones are pretty good pieces of work. the later OBD2 cars are no more complicated than any other of the vintage and pretty easy to figure out. 94-5 Disco's have Distributers so they're even easier but I'm not too keen on the 14 cux engine control system this may only be lack of experience as I haven't owned many.

1987-95 Range Rovers are cool too! Havining the same suspension as teh Disco's and the Defenders in a strange but Classic design that started before I was in high school.

Support from the aftermarket for parts is outstanding and I would say even surpasses Jeeps. It is pretty easy to get parts for your 1955 Land Rover, having owned many Jeeps i can't say the same for my old CJ5.

They are quirky and unique, not overly complicated to learn and fun to live with if you pay attention to them.

They take abuse pretty well too (after you fix the weak points)

Alaska Mike

ExPo Moderator/Eye Candy
Look at the Expeditions West Disco I thread. That's pretty much the Disco you'd want, if you can find it.

You are talking about a vehicle rapidly approaching 15 years old, so maintenance will have to be done. Don't expect exceptional gas mileage.

Rovers are an iconic expedition vehicle. Practical reasons very seldom factor into owning one. It's a love thing.

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
yeah I know the gas mileage will not be great but I drove a Wrangler on 35 for a long time. So 12 to 15 is great for me just not the 6 to 8 my waggy was getting.

RonL

Adventurer
Things to look for..

-No Rotoflex rear driveshaft. Some D1 had a rear driveshaft that used a rubberdisc instead of a ujoint. These do not last when you add a lift kit. You can replace it with a ujoint but that takes a whole new driveshaft and adapter.
-No sunroofs. People say they leak alot of the time.
-1997-1999 Series1 has the ODBII computer system. I like ODBII, for $75 you can get a code reader that will answer alot of your questions.
-Leaks. Look at the power steering box, Most of them leak, but with that said I own two Disco right now and both are not leaking.
-Rust. They do have a steel under body, so open the rear doors, where the wheel well meets the door can be a rust spot.
-Location... Southwest area is the best to look for a rustfree Disco.

After buying..
-do some main't work right away.
-new belts
-new hoses
-re-pack the wheel bearings, Disco1 bearings are not a all-in-one unit like jeeps or Disco2. Both of my Disco had a wheel bearing lookup at around 100k, It is not fun to fit one then.
-change axle oil and T-case. Nonlike Jeeps, there is a drain plug.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
If you want a D1, get a 98. If you want a D2, get a 2004. That's a pretty common recommendation.

In my opinion, these trucks don't have any more electrical issues than any other vehicle. At least not the D2's. Yeah, stuff happens. Stuff happens to every car. Well OK, maybe not Toyotas, but other than that... ;)

FortyMileDesert

Adventurer
An '04 Discovery S (like mine). No sunroofs, no leather, no armrests, no bling..

But is standard with a 4.6l that's getting me between 14 and 18mpg, a CDL that works like a charm, a 4ETC system that Land Rover finally got perfect (and is licensing to Toyota). My rig has spent more than 50% of its life off-road; now at 75,000 miles.....Only problem was having to put new input seal in transfer box........

Only mods that I've needed to go damned near anywhere in N. Nevada are a small (2.5") lift, a set of 265/75R-16 BFG TAs, some front bumper trimming, a homebuilt rear bumper that has reduced rear overhang, a pair of homebuilt sliders (that hide behind the plastic sill piece). Mods that I've added that really haven't been necessary are skid plates under gas tank and radiator/steering (neither has taken any major hits).

LR finally perfected the Disco2 for its final production year:

122-04Crossthatgully.jpg

124-B05Hunterscamp.jpg

124-B03Wheelee.jpg

121-23CheckingTrail.jpg

ChuckB

Expedition Leader
FortyMileDesert said:
An '04 Discovery S (like mine). No sunroofs, no leather, no armrests, no bling..

But is standard with a 4.6l that's getting me between 14 and 18mpg, a CDL that works like a charm, a 4ETC system that Land Rover finally got perfect (and is licensing to Toyota). My rig has spent more than 50% of its life off-road; now at 75,000 miles.....Only problem was having to put new input seal in transfer box........

Only mods that I've needed to go damned near anywhere in N. Nevada are a small (2.5") lift, a set of 265/75R-16 BFG TAs, some front bumper trimming, a homebuilt rear bumper that has reduced rear overhang, a pair of homebuilt sliders (that hide behind the plastic sill piece). Mods that I've added that really haven't been necessary are skid plates under gas tank and radiator/steering (neither has taken any major hits).

LR finally perfected the Disco2 for its final production year:

I have been searching Autotrader just to get an idea on the prices and from the pictures I have seen sunroofs in all of "S" models that I could find. Of course they could have improperly listed the model designation as well. Are there no sunroof's at all on the "S" model, or just one in the front? Maybe I'm confused thinking that there is one above the front and rear seats on the other models? Showing my Disco ignorance...cut me some slack I'm a Cruiser guy :D

Last edited:

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Yeah, a no sunroof model would be nice. I love sunroofs, and have them in my truck, but I kinda wish I didn't, because I can't get it to stop leaking. That, and the windshield leak from a bad aftermarket install are the only problems I've had from my truck.

I think on the S, the sunroof wasn't standard, but may have been available as an option.

FortyMileDesert

Adventurer
ChuckB said:
I have been searching Autotrader just to get an idea on the prices and from the pictures I have seen sunroofs in all of "S" models that I could find. Of course they could have improperly listed the model designation as well. Are there no sunroof's at all on the "S" model, or just one in the front? Maybe I'm confused thinking that there is one above the front and rear seats on the other models? Showing my Disco ignorance...cut me some slack I'm a Cruiser guy :D

On '04 "S" models: No sunroofs. No leather seats. No armrests. No front fog lamps. No painted front bumpers. No Harmon Kardon stereo. Single CD player not six disc. 16" rather than 18" wheels. No cargo cover.

Stock Tyres

Observer
Don't buy a disco if... you don't do your own work.

Buy one if you like them, despite all of their short comings

I like my disco.

Reata Rover

Adventurer
ChuckB said:
Are there no sunroof's at all on the "S" model, or just one in the front? :D

I have an S, naghahide seats and all. Absolutely no sunroof. I dont think it is available on the S at all. FWIW, if I had a pot of money or at least $50,000 that I could part with, I would probably buy as many low mileage 2004's as possible and garage them and drive nothing else as long as I lived.....I love mine, and when it is time to replace the motor which I hope is not real soon, that is what I will do...you cannot beat them on or off road as far as I am concerned.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
You know, that's just what I was thinking yesterday as I was daydreaming my "dream garage" if I won the lottery. It would be full of Lotuses, a Ford GT, old school rally cars, and a whack of low milage southwestern 2004 D2's waiting for the day when the next one gets called up.

I'm sure I'd have a few 90's and 110's too. But if the trip was long distance on the highway, I'd take a Disco.

It's true though. Don't buy one if you don't do your own work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles