Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Jeep: Have fun out there!

6 23.08%
  • Toyota: Oh what a feeling!

5 19.23%
  • Nissan: What, and scratch my paint.

0 0%
  • Land Rover: have you ever, no really, why would you.

6 23.08%
  • Other potential death trap

9 34.62%

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Expedition Vehicle Hood for Sledding?

Question Best Expedition Vehicle Hood for Sledding?

With talk of the coming of the first flakes of winter, the kids brought up the fact that we need a couple of new sleds for careening down hill sides. My buddy and I were telling the kids about how we use to mod up old car hoods with handholds to use as "party sleds" and fly down a hill with a dozen or so people hanging on for dear life. Our best ones were hoods from a '75 Pontiac Grand Prix and a '72 Olds Delta 88. Now we've had discussions on almost all aspects, pros and cons, of the various breeds of "Expo" rigs but have yet to determine which breed and model's hood would make the best sled. Factors to consider: potential speed, manuverabilty, ruggedness, weight to height of hill ratio, potential to inflict the most life threatening terror, and occupant survivability. Feel free to be totaly biased in your statements, and we might need to do a "Expo Hood Race Challenge" if the debate is not settled come winter. What else is there to do as the snow piles up?

So is it Jeep? Of course the new dents from sledding will match the dents on the rest of the Heep. Plus Jeeps spend alot of their time upside down anyway.

How about Toyota? Heck Yeah! Plus Four Wheel and Hood Sledding Magazine only shows Jeeps upside dwon and never a Toyota!

Nissan maybe? Dude! The X in Xterra is for EXTREME after all! Didn't you see the commercial?

Land Rover? Philistines! Haven't you heard of SKIS! Be a good chap and make us a cocktail, Reginald.

We trucked a 58 Cadillac Eldorado hood, she was decaying in back of our family farm, up to the ski hill the day before opening day. Following a coat of floor wax, with 4 old enough to know better young adults onboard, that thing flew.

Wasn't ideal though, too heavy and big surface area resulted in uncontrollable speed; the life threating terror was there. Great survivability, a solid piece of American steel to ensure it held up to sudden stops against a tree. Definite ability to ensure any viewers feared for our life.

Generated hours of laughs and the resulting 'dummies' directed at us twenty year olds going on twelve.

And later when responding to my mother on what happen to the hood of the caddy, pretty sure see said we had to be the dummist people in the world.

But there's always a bigger fish.

Thanks for the memories.
    Last edited by DaktariEd; 10-25-2008 at 02:41 PM.
    Currently living with only bikes, boats and boxes here and there..........................

Oh my, this topic has given me a much, much needed laugh. Wow....need to catch my breath. Personally, I would get a nice old Chevy HD hood, nice and deep in the center ( when upside down ) and of course made strong enough to stand up to the guaranteed impacts with assorted solid objects.

None of the above. I chose VW beetle, 1967. Ahh, I miss that car.

Quote Originally Posted by Speaker
    None of the above. I chose VW beetle, 1967. Ahh, I miss that car.

Ummm...normally we remove the hood before using it as a sled, but hey whatever works for you.

Cool pic!

Range Rover Classic...definitely.

Here are the reasons:

1. It has three lipped sides. Won't dig into the snow.

2. It has two 'keels' if you will. Will keep the hood pointed straight and not spin.

3. The idea of somone taking their Range Rover hood and making it into a sled is deliciously stupid.

Awesome poll!!!!
    Michael Slade

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Slade
    Range Rover Classic...definitely.

Here are the reasons:

1. It has three lipped sides. Won't dig into the snow.

2. It has two 'keels' if you will. Will keep the hood pointed straight and not spin.

3. The idea of somone taking their Range Rover hood and making it into a sled is deliciously stupid.
    I thought the very same thing.

Talking i have to say the only time i've tried this it was a ford ranger!

works as a sled for the truck, or

just for you!

here a better one:

what....no duct tape ???!!

Quote Originally Posted by b jeepin

works as a sled for the truck, or

just for you!

here a better one:

That's one generous tow vehicle. Not only does he pull you out, he gives you his hood to act as a sled. I need to wheel with that guy.
    7.3 Super Duty, 4X4, Ext Cab Shortbed, 6 Spd Manual. Hawk FWC
    2006 Jeep Unlimited
    2011 Toyota 4Runner (Hers)

1980 HJ45 Diesel LBP (Sold to some dude in Utah)
    1984 Troopy, ExPo White (Sold to the same dude in Utah that bought my other dream truck)
    Kimberly Kamper (Sold to the Toyota Shaman)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast