Best Expedition Vehicle Hood for Sledding?

Which Expedition Rig has the best Sled Potential

• Jeep: Have fun out there!

Votes: 6 23.1%
  • Toyota: Oh what a feeling!

Votes: 5 19.2%
  • Nissan: What, and scratch my paint.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Land Rover: have you ever, no really, why would you.

Votes: 6 23.1%
  • Other potential death trap

Votes: 9 34.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
Michael Slade said:
I stand by my choice. :sombrero:

Touche, Sir. Point to team Rover. My eyes fooled me.

How about my Wrangler hood? With the rolled sides and smaller raised center surface section, the Wrangler hood could be the snowboard of the expo sledding team. Highly manuverable and light weight, though propably limited to 3 people at the most. Plus reverse the footman loop for an underside tie down.

Attachments

• 102_3049a.jpg
    102_3049a.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 65

12husky

Adventurer
Down here on the eastern shore of Maryland we don't have any hills so all of our sledding is done in fields being pulled by trucks. My personal favorite hood for the job is from my '93 fullsize bronco after I hit a tree dead-on (while it was still on the truck). It now has just enough bend-up in the front so that you don't dig into snowbanks!

IH8RDS

Explorer
After having some time this weekend and loosing allot of sleep over it.... I think one of the best options would be a 1957 pickup truck hood. It isn’t technically an "ExPo" vehicle, but it has a good design. There is also two ribs on the top that would make nice skids for the ice. I have owned one of these gems, and let me tell you, I bet you could get 4 maybe 5 full grown adults on there.

I think for expo purposes, If we call it a bonnet we just might be able to pull it off.

57_Chevy_Hood.jpg

cjmitchell5

Adventurer
My vote is for a Series Rover hood err, I mean bonnet. The only caveats are it's pretty small so it'd have to ridden solo or two at most and it's best to have one w/o the spare tire provisions. Other than that, it's relatively light weight, concave, and can be removed/replaced without tools.

Series_II.jpg

Michael Slade

Untitled
Another good hood would be from a mid-70's Ford truck. I believe Rover copied the idea from Ford when they designed the Range Rover hood. 3-lips and a keel down the center. A nice design for sure.

That pick-up truck hood reminded me of the Ford hood...it might actually be the most superior of all. I'll have to see if I have a shot of my Dad's '53 Chevy 1-ton dump-truck hood. IIRC it would be pretty sweet too.

I think an article in OJ is in order...after all winter is coming up.

IH8RDS

Explorer
I always thought Mark should have his little corner in the OJ. They could call it "Mark's Deep Thoughts"

b jeepin

Adventurer
we should all be that guy

i totally agree, i know that some of us have pretty trucks, but if your stranded in the boonies you have to do something! we were very lucky that day for the snow i don't think it would have pulled all that great on dirt. this was on a guys trip in northern michigan. it was a great time and a great group of people. also the recover got my jeep back to the field next to the road so i could bring a trailer, the snow was melted in the open areas only still blanketing the ground in the wooded areas!

ps: we did use plenty of duct tape that weekend!:sport_box

Robthebrit

Explorer
a mog hood is good because its made to comes off the truck when working on it. The old ones are nice and curvy too..

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
IH8RDS said:
I always thought Mark should have his little corner in the OJ. They could call it "Mark's Deeply Troubled Thoughts"

There I fixed that for you!

Michael Slade

Untitled
Maybe not an 'expedition vehicle', but I've noticed that the PT Cruiser has a pretty dang nice hood for sledding.

Yes, I really have been thinking about this that much. :victory:

jim65wagon

TundraBird1
"Mark's Deeply Troubled Thoughts"

This would certainly bring the Overland Journal to a whole new level!

As far as the hood goes, my neighbor two doors down has an unlicensed suburban in his backyard. He'd probably never notice a missing hood. Of course, we'd have to get snow first...

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
jim65wagon said:
"Mark's Deeply Troubled Thoughts"

This would certainly bring the Overland Journal to a whole new level!

I'm going to take that as a compliment and think happy thoughts, you crusty Welshman.

jim65wagon said:
As far as the hood goes, my neighbor two doors down has an unlicensed suburban in his backyard. He'd probably never notice a missing hood. Of course, we'd have to get snow first...

You could mount some casters on it and roll down that steep driveway of yours. Pile some hay bales in front of the garage doors to keep from maiming yourself first though.

I was wandering through my neighbors junk yard today and he's got a early forties Mack truck rotting away, but it's got one sweet hood on it. I'm going to see if I can get that one, it's got some awesome potential to be a contender!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles