Best Expedition Vehicle Hood for Sledding?

Which Expedition Rig has the best Sled Potential

• Jeep: Have fun out there!

Votes: 6 23.1%
  • Toyota: Oh what a feeling!

Votes: 5 19.2%
  • Nissan: What, and scratch my paint.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Land Rover: have you ever, no really, why would you.

Votes: 6 23.1%
  • Other potential death trap

Votes: 9 34.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
With talk of the coming of the first flakes of winter, the kids brought up the fact that we need a couple of new sleds for careening down hill sides. My buddy and I were telling the kids about how we use to mod up old car hoods with handholds to use as "party sleds" and fly down a hill with a dozen or so people hanging on for dear life. Our best ones were hoods from a '75 Pontiac Grand Prix and a '72 Olds Delta 88. Now we've had discussions on almost all aspects, pros and cons, of the various breeds of "Expo" rigs but have yet to determine which breed and model's hood would make the best sled. Factors to consider: potential speed, manuverabilty, ruggedness, weight to height of hill ratio, potential to inflict the most life threatening terror, and occupant survivability. Feel free to be totaly biased in your statements, and we might need to do a "Expo Hood Race Challenge" if the debate is not settled come winter. What else is there to do as the snow piles up?

So is it Jeep? Of course the new dents from sledding will match the dents on the rest of the Heep. Plus Jeeps spend alot of their time upside down anyway.

How about Toyota? Heck Yeah! Plus Four Wheel and Hood Sledding Magazine only shows Jeeps upside dwon and never a Toyota!

Nissan maybe? Dude! The X in Xterra is for EXTREME after all! Didn't you see the commercial?

Land Rover? Philistines! Haven't you heard of SKIS! Be a good chap and make us a cocktail, Reginald.

Fishenough

Creeper
We trucked a 58 Cadillac Eldorado hood, she was decaying in back of our family farm, up to the ski hill the day before opening day. Following a coat of floor wax, with 4 old enough to know better young adults onboard, that thing flew.

Wasn't ideal though, too heavy and big surface area resulted in uncontrollable speed; the life threating terror was there. Great survivability, a solid piece of American steel to ensure it held up to sudden stops against a tree. Definite ability to ensure any viewers feared for our life.

Generated hours of laughs and the resulting 'dummies' directed at us twenty year olds going on twelve.

And later when responding to my mother on what happen to the hood of the caddy, pretty sure see said we had to be the dummist people in the world.

But there's always a bigger fish.

Thanks for the memories.

Last edited by a moderator:

02TahoeMD

Explorer
Oh my, this topic has given me a much, much needed laugh. Wow....need to catch my breath. Personally, I would get a nice old Chevy HD hood, nice and deep in the center ( when upside down ) and of course made strong enough to stand up to the guaranteed impacts with assorted solid objects.

Speaker

Adventurer
None of the above. I chose VW beetle, 1967. Ahh, I miss that car.:cool:

67beetlesnow.jpg

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
Speaker said:
None of the above. I chose VW beetle, 1967. Ahh, I miss that car.:cool:

67beetlesnow.jpg

Ummm...normally we remove the hood before using it as a sled, but hey whatever works for you. :hehe:

Cool pic!

Michael Slade

Untitled
Range Rover Classic...definitely.

Here are the reasons:

1. It has three lipped sides. Won't dig into the snow.

2. It has two 'keels' if you will. Will keep the hood pointed straight and not spin.

3. The idea of somone taking their Range Rover hood and making it into a sled is deliciously stupid.

Awesome poll!!!!

MuddyMudskipper

Camp Ninja
Michael Slade said:
Range Rover Classic...definitely.

Here are the reasons:

1. It has three lipped sides. Won't dig into the snow.

2. It has two 'keels' if you will. Will keep the hood pointed straight and not spin.

3. The idea of somone taking their Range Rover hood and making it into a sled is deliciously stupid.

I thought the very same thing.

P1010134.jpg

b jeepin

Adventurer
i have to say the only time i've tried this it was a ford ranger!

march23063.jpg

works as a sled for the truck, or
2007_0325Image0090.jpg

just for you!

here a better one:
4_wheel_012.jpg

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
b jeepin said:
march23063.jpg

works as a sled for the truck, or
2007_0325Image0090.jpg

just for you!

here a better one:
4_wheel_012.jpg

That's one generous tow vehicle. Not only does he pull you out, he gives you his hood to act as a sled. I need to wheel with that guy.

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
MuddyMudskipper said:

After examining the hood on the above vehicle, it's plain to see that this is an entirely poor design for a sled. Notice the scoop on the rear of the hood, this would serve to act as a "Snow Brake" and limit the potential top end speed. This would only be desirable for the elderly and mama's boys. Plus the twin "keels" would limit the effectiveness of the hood in the Tree Slalom event and prevent any terror inducing spinning as the sled careens down the hill. On the other hand we have seen what a fine sled a Ranger hood makes and should be one to really consider by all hood sledding enthusiasts.

jcbrandon

Explorer
Late model Dodge Power Wagon:

The grill is attached to and rises with the hood for access to the engine bay. The top hood sledding teams retain this feature, thus providing one of the few factory hood sleds with an OEM brush guard.

Michael Slade

Untitled
Haggis said:
After examining the hood on the above vehicle, it's plain to see that this is an entirely poor design for a sled. Notice the scoop on the rear of the hood, this would serve to act as a "Snow Brake" and limit the potential top end speed. This would only be desirable for the elderly and mama's boys. Plus the twin "keels" would limit the effectiveness of the hood in the Tree Slalom event and prevent any terror inducing spinning as the sled careens down the hill. On the other hand we have seen what a fine sled a Ranger hood makes and should be one to really consider by all hood sledding enthusiasts.

The 'snow brake' is actually a valence that is not part of the hood. If you look at the driver's side of the hood you can see the break where the hood actually ends. It lifts up right in front of the air intake. Keels keep the sled straight so you can see what terrifying obstacle you're about to hit, also helps with speed.

I stand by my choice. :sombrero:

MuddyMudskipper

Camp Ninja
Haggis said:

DSC00074.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles