How to dispose of a .45 Colt round?

Lynn

Expedition Leader
You know, I've been around guns forever, but never had the problem of disposing of a round I didn't have a gun for, until now...

Should I just pull the lead out, dump the powder down the toilet, and toss the rest? Maybe hit the brass with a hammer and see if I can set off the primer?

I don't know of anybody with a .45 Colt, and it seems like a waste of time to try to find a new home for a single stray.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
Pull the lead, dump the powder, soak the primer with a couple drops of oil...

Or go buy a .45LC. :sombrero:

Lynn

Expedition Leader
goodtimes said:
Or go buy a .45LC. :sombrero:

HA! ya caught me off-guard with that one!

Wonder if my wife would buy that arguement????

'Course, if I had one, I'd have to do the whole cowboy action shooting thing, Texican reinactments, trade my .32 Win. Sp. model 94 in on one in the same caliber, horse, ranch, longhorns...

Where does it stop????

Actually, but budget say's it doesn't even start.....

kjp1969

Explorer
Lynn said:
Maybe hit the brass with a hammer and see if I can set off the primer?

As a bored and curious youth, I did that with a .22 primer- not surprisingly, it made a pretty loud bang, and my ears rang for a couple of days. I wouldn't recommend it.

ginericLC

Adventurer
I second the notion that hitting the primers with a hammer is a bad idea. Been there and done that with some centerfire rifle primers.

It isn't a good idea to put them in the microwave either.

I'd just pull the bullet off and dump the powder.

Spikepretorius

Explorer
Keep it for a special occassion like when sharing a campsite with unpleasant people and toss it in their fire.

You'll have to brush up on your stealth skills of course

:smileeek:

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
1" steel pipe- 1 off screw on cap- 1 off bolt

Drill hole in center cap, put in bolt, grind bolt to a point- attach cap to pipe

take your new 0.45 cal morter to a large open area and have fun

well maybe not...:elkgrin:

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
Police?

Isn't it simpler just to hand it over to the local police? I think they have disposal means... just a thought.

Lynn

Expedition Leader
mtnbike28 said:
Isn't it simpler just to hand it over to the local police? I think they have disposal means... just a thought.

Simpler than grabbing some pliers, pulling it apart, and dumping the powder? I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

I think the cops have better things to do.

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
Lynn said:
Simpler than grabbing some pliers, pulling it apart, and dumping the powder? I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

I think the cops have better things to do.
Police or fire, I am sure either would be happy to dispose of it. Better there than to wind up in curious hands.

I would take it to your nearest National Guard Armory. Those folks will take an dispose of it for you. You could try the Police/Sheriff's Office but I'd call first.

Dumb me... I just reread it and you only have 1 round... Pliers, Toilet, Vise, Hammer, and Long Nail should do the trick

jh504

Explorer
ginericLC said:
I second the notion that hitting the primers with a hammer is a bad idea. Been there and done that with some centerfire rifle primers.

It isn't a good idea to put them in the microwave either.

I'd just pull the bullet off and dump the powder.

You have got me very interested now..............so what happened to the microwave.

When I read that I got that ,"I cant believe that but I want to see it", laugh you get when your a kid and are about to do something really dumb.

Lynn

Expedition Leader
About 5 min. after my last post the problem round was disposed of, and my eardrums are still intact.

Thanks, all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste