Tires on stock 04 Disco II

grasshopper104

Adventurer
What is the max tire/wheel combo I can put on a stock disco w/ no lift? I've got the opportunity for a 1 for 1 swap w/ my stock alloys and some steelies w/ 265x75x16. Not ready for a suspension lift at the moment, but wouldn't be opposed to some cutting on the body to make them fit. Any body have any suggestions?

Reata Rover

Adventurer
I would suggest not hacking away at body panels. There are plenty of lift options.. Review and make a better decision.

Scott Brady

Founder
A lift is not what allows fitment of larger tires. The 265/75 R16 will fit just as well with no lift as it does with a lift.

Unless the lift-kit also lowers the bumpstops or somehow further limits up-travel, just adding taller springs does not change how the wheel travels, or how far it travels into the wheel well.

I would stick them on and see how it looks/works.

Oh, to answer your question more specifically, you can fit a 265/75 R16 with no lift.:archaeolo

gahill2

Observer
I ran 245/75/16's before I lifted my truck. Now I run the 265's with a 2" lift. As said here you should be fine with the 265's and no lift. I know the 245's stuffed with no rubbing at all at stock height.

pangaea

Adventurer
expeditionswest said:
A lift is not what allows fitment of larger tires. The 265/75 R16 will fit just as well with no lift as it does with a lift.

Unless the lift-kit also lowers the bumpstops or somehow further limits up-travel, just adding taller springs does not change how the wheel travels, or how far it travels into the wheel well.

To piggy back onto Scott's statement, the primary reason that springs like OME allow for larger tires, is because the stacked or compressed height of the springs is approx. 1.5-2" taller than stock tires, thus limited up travel and keeping them from stuffing the extra 2" into the wheel well.

grasshopper104

Adventurer
thanks for the info. Now here comes the next part - the tires on there are Tread Wrights w/ about 3k on them. I've been doing a little reading on these retreads, but still am not sold. In any case, i get a good set of steel wheels out of the deal.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
pangaea said:
To piggy back onto Scott's statement, the primary reason that springs like OME allow for larger tires, is because the stacked or compressed height of the springs is approx. 1.5-2" taller than stock tires, thus limited up travel and keeping them from stuffing the extra 2" into the wheel well.

Hang on a second... are you saying that the OME springs limit up travel by going into coil bind before the bumpstops come into contact? I sure hope that's not the case. That would be a very bad thing.

For reference, I fit 245/75/16 tires on my stock Disco with no issues in light off-roading. I then put on OME springs for a 2" lift, still no problems. However, during some extreme off-roading, after removing the front swaybar, I believe I was getting some minor rubbing.

grasshopper104

Adventurer
Well - they fit in there. I did have to cut some of the bumper away though to prevent the rubbing. I've got a few more mods to do in the wheel wells to prevent the rest of the rubbing. Fun weekend ahead - happy w/ the tires and wheels though. pics to follow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles