A little more info Please

datrupr

Expedition Leader
OK, I know many of you have seen my other post on what I should get as my next rig. I have been searching and looking and have a few things in mind. I was just looking at some Disco's and have a few questions for the LR guys on this board. So, those willing to teach me a few things I would greatly appreciate it. Basically what I want to know is what should I be looking for, strong points, weak points, etc. on each of the following models. School me on the differences between the different years on the various models too if you have more information. Thank you very much in advance for everyones time. The models in question are:

Disco I
Disco II

Please discuss.

RonL

Adventurer
Disco 1
Less electrics (abs)
full floater axles
easier to work on
100" wheel base
enclosed CV joints
Cheaper to buy.
Basically the Defender/Range Rover classic powertrain

Disco 2
More electrics(trac control, hill dec contol, & abs al the same system)
100" wheel base but more rear overhang
Semi floater axles
rubber booted CV joints
Basically the P38 Range Rover powertrain

This are the basic differences, the Disco 2 is more refined on the inside and has plastic bumper covers front and rear.

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
One thing that has surprised and frustrated some people is hub bearing replacement.
D1 = $30 per hub
DII = Can't be replaced, $250-$350 per for new hub.

Larger tires can be fitted to the stock DII that the stock D1.
A lot of people who get a coil spring land rover end up also buying a Series Land Rover. D1's and Series rovers have the same bolt pattern for the road wheels.

Last edited:

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
Nice,
Whats Up Man!
I knew you always wanted a Land Rover!!

Another spec regarding the measurements the DII is 6" longer than the DI and its all in the rear overhang. Also the DII is 2" wider.

Take a hard look at the DI, the current asking prices are impressively low and the aftermarket support serves as a nice resource.

Brian

MattScott

Approved Vendor
the resale on DI's has somewhat rebounded, I've seen a few for over 6500 lately.

I've also seen DII's plummet, again.

LC/LR4Life

Adventurer
D1s are cool, but there is nothing wrong with a modded DII either. Both are impressive off road. Not sure of the best year(s) for the D1, but if you go for a DII I would suggest a 1999-2001, or a 2004 as those all had the CDL. 2002 and 2003 did not have CDL which was a mistake by LR in everyones opinion.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
RonL said:
Disco 1
Less electrics (abs)
full floater axles
easier to work on
100" wheel base
enclosed CV joints
Cheaper to buy.
Basically the Defender/Range Rover classic powertrain

Disco 2
More electrics(trac control, hill dec contol, & abs al the same system)
100" wheel base but more rear overhang
Semi floater axles
rubber booted CV joints
Basically the P38 Range Rover powertrain

This are the basic differences, the Disco 2 is more refined on the inside and has plastic bumper covers front and rear.

Here's my take:

Disco1
Less electrics, but what is there is old and much less sophisticated, and pre-OBDII means it's very hard to diagnose yourself.
Full floater axles: score
Easier to work on, but then you'll be doing more working because everything is just older
Enclosed CV joints: score
Cheaper to buy: but then, more of their useful life is gone, and they're pretty rusty if you're in the rust belt.

Disco2
More electronics, and in most cases if they fail, you're no worse off than if you didn't have them in the first place.
More rear overhang, detriment if you're building a serious rock crawling. Huge bonus if you're actually using the truck for vacationing with a family.

Basically, what it comes down to is what is the goal of the truck. If you're building a dedicated off-roader, the D1 is cheaper to buy, leaving more money for upgrades, it's more compact, simpler, etc.

If you want a truck you can drive 500 miles per day, for a week, while having space for a family and camping equipment. Then the DII is the way to go.

One thing that has surprised and frustrated some people is hub bearing replacement.
D1 = $30 per hub
DII = Can't be replaced, $250-$350 per for new hub.

Yeah, it sucks. But it's just the way things have gone, all cars are like this now. I believe it's also true that the modern 1 piece bearing designs have better seals and last longer, so you'll be replacing them less often.

MuddyMudskipper

Camp Ninja
R_Lefebvre said:
Disco1

...and pre-OBDII means it's very hard to diagnose yourself.

What makes a vehicle OBDI or OBDII is a year thing, not a model thing. All '97 and up vehicles are OBDII which the D1 falls into until '98. From '99 - '04 it is a D2. My old '95 DI and my friend's '96 DI are OBDI with a dizzy and my '97 is OBDII with coil packs. My '95 Golf and M3 were OBDI compared to my (then) roommate's '97 Jetta and my Dad's '97 M3 which were OBDII.

SMD

Adventurer
For the MY 99, there are both DIs and DIIs (though the DIs are "leftovers" from the production line of MY 98).

As a caveat to Lefebvre's comments, take a harder look at mileage than model year. I think it very arguable that a DI with 20k less on the odometer would be in better condition than a DII with more miles but several years younger.

The DI vs DII discussion could go on for many, many pages and has been covered here and elsewhere in detail. Lots and lots of opinions from varying angles. Check signature lines and you can usually see a slight opinion variation based on model ownership. Human nature.

With that said, I own or have owned all 3 generations of Disco. Traded the '04 DII in for an LR3 (DIII) HSE. As the family grows I find myself sometimes wishing I'd kept the '04, but only briefly. Spare parts are more expensive, as are aftermarket goodies. The electrics don't scare me... too much ;). In the end I decided the DII wasn't enough of a generational leap over the DI to warrant owning both. And for those days where I think I may need more room than the DI offers, I just re-evaluate my load plan or consider an Adventure Trailer (or even the eventual modification of the LR3, once my wife is ready to give it up).

Anyway, my nutshell answer is that you may find a DI to be slightly easier and less expensive to own/maintain. Lots of variable factor in to the final answer, though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles