FJ-80 3/4link suspension conversion

KE5QVT

Observer
Has anyone made a 3 or 4 link suspension conversion for an FJ80? I am looking to do a spring over with link conversion to maximize articulation and run 44's trying to make a rock crawling LC. I have the donor vehicle now just need some guidance on the conversion..

HELP..SOS..Help!!

thnks

:safari-rig:

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
Hmm.....

I'll start, just in case no one has done it before, by saying Welcome to Expo!

Most of the folks here tend to lean towards travel and expedition related mods; meaning that, while there are a few rock crawlers here, you may not get all that many answers, based upon the demographic, so to speak.

I'd try www.IH8MUD.com in the forum section; both under the 80 series forum and the "hardcore corner" There are some fantastic marvels of engineering there....

Also, www.pirate4x4.com is another forum where the "hardcore" group hangs out...but watch yourself, they tend to be a bit harsh on newbies who don't search the forum first prior to posting.

Cheers,

-H-

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
Welcome as well!

I think that you'll find that exotic linkage doesn't articulate enough better than the 80's radius arm set-up, with some simple mods, to make it worth all of the effort unless building a no compromises rock buggy. If that is the case then start from bare axle housings and don't mess around with trying to make OE parts work. It might look like more work up front, but it is not and you'll be happier with the result.

It is common in 80's and in coiler Rovers to pull one of the bolts linking a radius arm to the axle housing. One side per axle ONLY! As a rule the arm closest to the pinion keeps both of it's bolts. Might try this and see if it offers what you need.

The "spring over" part confuses me though, are you referring to a coil-over shock absorber? "Spring over" usually refers to moving live axles from on top of leaf springs to under them. Semantics, I know, but that is the exact sort of thing that POoR will be rude about.

valkyrie

Adventurer
KE5QVT said:
Has anyone made a 3 or 4 link suspension conversion for an FJ80? I am looking to do a spring over with link conversion to maximize articulation and run 44's trying to make a rock crawling LC. I have the donor vehicle now just need some guidance on the conversion..

HELP..SOS..Help!!

thnks

:safari-rig:
Huh? FJ80 spring over?

:rolleyes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke