Aluminum Flatbed - New Oztray Truck Tray

OZTRAY-JOHN

Hi Everyone,

I've been lurking in the background following this excellent and distracting forum for some time now. I don't mean to advertise on here but I'd like to get some feedback on a new design of Truck Tray we're working on.

I've attached some images of what the new tray will look like. I can supply many more detailed images if people are interested.

Essentially it will be an aluminum flatbed with drop sides made from all custom extrusions. This is designed to be a far more functional and longer lasting replacment for the pick up box. Its not designed as an all out work horse flat deck that you can hit with an excavator without fear of damage.

Some of the stand out features of the new model are:

Pockets extruded into the corners. These allows the corner posts and headboard to be extremely rigid yet removable. They will also provide an excellent locating point for aftermarket bodies and campers.

A completely flat floor. All rivets are counter sunk and the eight in-deck tie downs are set under the floor making up fitting tool boxes or other bodies easy.

A complete range of accessories including:

In front of axle under floor tool boxes (these will fit 5 x 5 gallon fuel cans each)
Behind axle under floor tool boxes
Removable rear rack
7.5 cu ft Underfloor roll out tool drawer rated to carry 450lbs
3 door canopy

Dimensions for the tray will be 81" x 110". The sides will be 16" high but can be custom ordered higher or lower in 4" increments.

Please, if any one has any input it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

John

Attachments

• fully optioned drawer closed.jpg
    fully optioned drawer closed.jpg
    192.6 KB · Views: 391

slooowr6

Explorer
How much is the weight of the tray? Will there be a smaller version to fit the mini trucks, like Tacoma with 6' bed?

detailbarn

Adventurer
slooowr6 said:
How much is the weight of the tray? Will there be a smaller version to fit the mini trucks, like Tacoma with 6' bed?

I'd be interested in one for the 2008 6' Tacoma bed any plans on a smaller unit. what is your target cost?

OZTRAY-JOHN

Yes we hope to have them for "mini" trucks like the Tacoma. It all depends on the feedback.
Target weight for a Tacoma size Truck Tray is 150kg (330lbs). This includes headboard, sides, lights and all the stuff nescessary for mounting it to the truck. I would estimate that the bare floor installed will be around 100kg.

Would you guys want to have it the same width as the cab or wider? Longer than the regular box or shorter?

Cheers,

detailbarn

Adventurer
For me I would want same width as cab and stock length - maybe 6.5' long.

OZTRAY-JOHN said:
Yes we hope to have them for "mini" trucks like the Tacoma. It all depends on the feedback.
Target weight for a Tacoma size Truck Tray is 150kg (330lbs). This includes headboard, sides, lights and all the stuff nescessary for mounting it to the truck. I would estimate that the bare floor installed will be around 100kg.

Would you guys want to have it the same width as the cab or wider? Longer than the regular box or shorter?

Cheers,

OZTRAY-JOHN

Thanks for the input guys.
Ideally the tray would be 6'6" or so. This will make it just long enough to overhang the rear bumper for those that want to leave it on.
Price target is $3200. How does that sound? I know its more than other makers but they will be quite different.
Would you want anodizing? or prefer power coating? or both?

Last edited:

slooowr6

Explorer
Would you let us know what the difference between Ute and Oztray? What is included for $3200? Is it just the flat bed or with the pick up box?

boblynch

Adventurer
I'm very interested in the product.

Just to clarify, are the 81" and 110" dimensions the width and length? Also, what is the height of the overhead rack shown? What is the target weight of this full size tray (with and without the options listed)?

Are the overhead rack, mesh headboard, and corner pockets removable to allow for a slide-on campers (that may be wider than the tray)?

Is the 7.5 cu ft underfloor roll out drawer located between the frame rails? What are the dimensions of the drawer? Do the dimensions assume a style-side bed replacement or a standard chassis cab?

Would the proposed 3 door canopy use the corner pockets? Do you have any pics or additional details on the canopy?

Bob

Last edited:

Kilroy

Adventurer
I agree width of flat bed should be same as truck. Length should be the same as the regular box.

How much higher floor height is the bed compared to standard.

OZTRAY-JOHN

Bob,

Yes the tray will be 81" wide x 110" long. The headboard pipe will be 39.5" above the deck. The target weight for the tray when it is in standard pick up mode is 200kg 440lbs. With the sides removed it will be around 140kg 308lbs. When fully optioned with four tool boxes, underfloor drawer, rear rack and over head rack, as well as sides it will weigh 310kg 680lbs.

Yes, the overhead rack is removable. The headboard is removable in two sections it will be possible to remove the pipe and mesh but leave the bulkhead, or both pieces can be removed leaving a completely flat floor. The rear corner posts have two bolts each holding them in place. The corner pockets are not removable as they form the corner of the tray. They are flush with the floor though.

Yes the drawer sits between the frame rails of the tray. The frame rails of the tray are at 34". The dimensions of the drawer are 750mm(29.5") x 135mm(5.3") x 2100mm(82.5"). It makes no real difference if the tray is being installed on a cab chassis or a style side replacement. If on a cab chassis the frame rails will be mounted directly to the frame of the truck. Other wise there are cross members that span the factory mounting holes of the truck which the tray frame rails will bolt to.

Yes the canopy will use the corner pockets to locate and secure it. I'm undecided whether to go with a fiberglass canopy or an aluminum frame and skin canopy. Perhaps even some sort of honeycomb composite material? Any suggestions?

Cheers.

OZTRAY-JOHN

Kilroy said:
I agree width of flat bed should be same as truck. Length should be the same as the regular box.

How much higher floor height is the bed compared to standard.

In that case I will make the tray 1900m wide x 2050mm long.

The main difference between this new model and other manufacturers is the modular design. It is designed so that all accessories are able to be bolted on with no drilling, cutting or welding.

For $3200 you get a tray floor with removable bulkhead and headboard made from 2 1/2" sched 40 pipe, 400mm high drop sides and tailgate, L.E.D lighting, 8 in-deck tie downs and all mounting hardware and instructions. We also hope for this to be an MSRP so in many cases shipping will be included.

Would you want the tray to be anodized or powder coated?

lowenbrau

Explorer
Anodized.

I'm interested in the full size version. Any chance of reinforcing the fold down sides so they can serve double duty as quad ramps?

OZTRAY-JOHN

lowenbrau said:
Anodized.

I'm interested in the full size version. Any chance of reinforcing the fold down sides so they can serve double duty as quad ramps?

Yes, we plan on having a kit available with traction lugs that can be riveted or screwed to the inner face of the sides. It will also include tabs for sitting the sides on the edge of the tray for loading.

There will also be a snowmobile/atv ramp that fits in the same tracks as the drawer runs in. Unfortunately it won't be possible to have both.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles