All Terrain Warriors campers

haven

Expedition Leader
John,

Your latest design looks wonderful! Please post interior photos when you have a chance.

Will this design be the basis for the "Scout" model on your web site?
http://www.allterrainwarriors.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=19&Itemid=25

The camper body looks to be molded from one piece of fiberglass, with holes for windows and doors cut later. The mold is a big investment, but the result has fewer joints and seams.

Unfortunately Isuzu does not import 4x4 versions of its medium trucks to North America. Fuso is the only medium duty cab-forward 4x4 available here.

Does All Terrain Warriors have any plans to sell the camper body separate from the truck chassis? Or do we have to ship our North American chassis to Australia for installation? The latter might be a cool way to start a couple of months of vacation Down Under!

Chip Haven

haven

Expedition Leader
From the All Terrain Warriors PDF file about the Scout model, here's the floorplan that looks most similar to the vehicle in John's photos

Picture2-1.png

Dimensions listed in the PDF include
camper length 4.2 m (165 in)
camper width 2.33 m (92 in)
internal height with top raised 2.2 m (87 in)
vehicle weight as built 4500 kg (9,900 lbs)

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Is that a load per square centimeter test on those steps?

Kerry, Yep. That's our "Stiletto" test . Very applicable to the Australian outback. Lol.

I can tell I'm going to pay for posting this pic on Monday. That's my foreman's GF.

whatcharterboat

From the All Terrain Warriors PDF file about the Scout model, here's the floorplan that looks most similar to the vehicle in John's photos

Hi Chip, How's it going ??

Yep. Good guess with the floor plan but there is another double bed running length ways above the fixed double bed. This isn't shown in the diagram you posted. Because of the tapered body it works out about 1500mm across by 2000mm long.

Here 's a couple of interior shots so that you get the idea.

3120212464_b9edd19af9.jpg

3120216360_8b875fe74e.jpg

3119386111_ce6d95dd56.jpg

Mickldo

Adventurer
Looks good John.

It has come a long way since I saw it in its bare glass stage.

When do you plan on doing testing? Will you have time before Xmas?

whatcharterboat

Hi Chip

Will this design be the basis for the "Scout" model on your web site?
http://www.allterrainwarriors.com.au...19&Itemi d=25

Chip. Yes, although we have a lot more improvements/options in mind now that we have actually put one together out of the new molds.

The camper body looks to be molded from one piece of fiberglass, with holes for windows and doors cut later. The mold is a big investment, but the result has fewer joints and seams.

Absolutely. We actually built the short body plug/mold first then stretched it by about 600mm to give us the long body plug and mold. The 600mm extension is basically the section between the front and the windows. The short body will fit neatly on a SWB FG or will fit to a normal wheelbase FG or NPS with plenty of room for something such as a double trailbike (or quad) rack on the back.

Also we tried to recess everything to protect it when traveling through the scrub so all of the lights, hinges and catches/locks and even the windows are sunken into the body. BTW the recess on the right hand side looks like it has 2 water fillers in it . They are actually a Flickmixer and a hand shower hidden under S/S flaps.

The client did not want side skirts and bins below the floors as we do on all our biggerr motorhomes but I think they will be on most of the pop tops in the future.

Chip we are also planning a permanent hard-sided version (like our Recon) and possibly even optional hard sides but retaining the pop top. Perfect for a RTW truck. So I guess you might see some concept drawings in the new year. We're learning a lot about "copyright" at the moment as you can imagine. Don't want any repeats so I can't give away any more at this point.

The camper body looks to be molded from one piece of fiberglass

We tried to do this with the interior too only we ended up with 5 molds but this gives us more options and at the end of the day you end up with the interior being very light, strong and easy clean.

2 of the molds are for the "Granite" look benchtops.

Does All Terrain Warriors have any plans to sell the camper body separate from the truck chassis? Or do we have to ship our North American chassis to Australia for installation? The latter might be a cool way to start a couple of months of vacation Down Under!

Chip, As you know, I have to walk a bit of a fine line here as someone who works for a manufacturer but who also must observe the proper etiquette of the forum. So the short answer is to maybe direct any formal sales inquiries to my boss at our website.

However, I can say that since our dollar has dropped further against the greenback we have been drawing an abnormal amount of overseas interest in our 4x4 buses >> mining companies in Russia, tour operators in the Pacific, even US Government agencies. Although unfortunately, maybe the latter is due in part to the uncertainty in your own domestic auto industry.

So without speaking on my boss's behalf I could see any number of "offshore" possibilities. Shipping kits, shipping kits and staff and renting a temporary facility, a joint venture with a low volume manufacturer or similar with the suitable facilities probably in California.

Or do we have to ship our North American chassis to Australia for installation? The latter might be a cool way to start a couple of months of vacation Down Under!

Chip, This would always be on the table but I'm sure it would only appeal to a very small percentage of the market. Would be fantastic but. Sounds like a plan for you.

If I had the bucks (and I don't) I'd ship a kit to the US, drop it on a North American FG, travel around in it with the family for 12 months and sell it to cover some of the costs. Unfortunately I still have 6 months of uni to go so I'm still tied up for awhile. I can still dream but.

Does anyone want more pics showing all the "stuff"? Let me know? Bob, maybe I'll paste a couple more tomorrow.

3120214770_c9e014649a.jpg

3120215616_bd10b729f7.jpg

Lastly for the surfers, this locker going across will hold a 7'2" no worries.

3119386741_2e7f239cb3.jpg

Last edited:

whatcharterboat

Mmmm are those jeans sprayed on!

Like I said >

I can tell I'm going to pay for posting this pic on Monday. That's my foreman's GF.

When do you plan on doing testing? Will you have time before Xmas?

Hi Mick, Yeah, should do. I have to fine tune the roof lift on Monday. Thought the electric ram on the door was going to be a drama but the current limiting circuitry was a piece of cake to setup. I'm using the same cct board for the single "roof lift" ram but I have to setup some physical limit switches rather than relying on current limits. (If that makes sense) Probably spend most of Monday on it then take it out for a run after that. The owner wanted it for Xmas so we had to go all out to finish it , but he has since changed the pickup date a couple of days ago , so we have a little time to triple check everything . It hasn't had it's pre delivery check done at the dealers yet so I don't know that we'll be doing to much road (& offroad) testing.

Sometimes better to let the owner do that and then we can make any personal modifications / changes after they have lived with it for a few weeks.

Mickldo

Adventurer
whatcharterboat said:
Like I said >

Hi Mick, Yeah, should do. I have to fine tune the roof lift on Monday. Thought the electric ram on the door was going to be a drama but the current limiting circuitry was a piece of cake to setup. I'm using the same cct board for the single "roof lift" ram but I have to setup some physical limit switches rather than relying on current limits. (If that makes sense) Probably spend most of Monday on it then take it out for a run after that. The owner wanted it for Xmas so we had to go all out to finish it , but he has since changed the pickup date a couple of days ago , so we have a little time to triple check everything . It hasn't had it's pre delivery check done at the dealers yet so I don't know that we'll be doing to much road (& offroad) testing.

Sometimes better to let the owner do that and then we can make any personal modifications / changes after they have lived with it for a few weeks.

We are going through the same thing with a boat at work at the moment, going flat out trying to get it done before Xmas but then the owner changes his mind and puts the delivery date back a couple of weeks and we now have a little bit of extra time for testing and fine tuning. Not much extra time mind you but enough.

whatcharterboat

Mick Wanted to catch up with you here on ExPo before Xmas but you know how it is. We just had our Xmas party today. Boss shouted all of us including wives and kids a trip to Fraser on an Adventure Tours Canter. Mate it was terrible > for the first few hours all we could do was look for squeaks and rattles and talk about ways to make it better or find tiny faults with it. We just couldn't leave work alone. I'm sure the wives were sick of it.

Anyway , the island was as great as it ever was. The bus we took was the last one we built and we had Tim as the driver. He's been doing it for 30 years so he's arguably the best in the business. So overall it wasn't all that bad. OK It was pretty great.

Learnt heaps about sand driving in a FG that I didn't before too.

Mickldo

Adventurer
whatcharterboat said:
Mick Wanted to catch up with you here on ExPo before Xmas but you know how it is. We just had our Xmas party today. Boss shouted all of us including wives and kids a trip to Fraser on an Adventure Tours Canter. Mate it was terrible > for the first few hours all we could do was look for squeaks and rattles and talk about ways to make it better or find tiny faults with it. We just couldn't leave work alone. I'm sure the wives were sick of it.

Anyway , the island was as great as it ever was. The bus we took was the last one we built and we had Tim as the driver. He's been doing it for 30 years so he's arguably the best in the business. So overall it wasn't all that bad. OK It was pretty great.

Learnt heaps about sand driving in a FG that I didn't before too.

Sounds like a pretty good Xmas party to me. Fraser Is is the best.

I do the same thing (listen for squeaks, redesign, etc) when I go out on the boats at work. LOL

haven

Expedition Leader
New photos of the Scout model are available on the
Warriors web page. No attractive models this time.

http://www.allterrainwarriors.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=19&Itemid=25

Exactly how the top is raised is still a mystery. The photos
show a single chrome pole rising out of the shower enclosure.
I don't see a mechanism in the corners of the camper. Perhaps
the legs of the "X" bracing for the pop top are pulled together
by a cable?

I'm interested in this detail because pop-tops sometimes will
jam while raising if the vehicle is not level.

Chip Haven

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne