All Terrain Warriors campers

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
please, please, please, please, please, please, post some videos
Hi ..... Sorry did't get a chance to take any but have plenty more close ups coming. Will try next time. Thanks for your comments. Regards John.

Last edited:

westyss

Explorer
Hey mate.....yeah, you're right I reckon. Planning on doing a lot more with the graphics......and I reckon they should all be FJ Cruiser tan (but not that beige colour, haha) but doubt too many would add the cost of a cab repaint....our FUSO will probably be the next completed, so we'll see what everyone thinks of that colour which is closer to a Landrover "Kalahari Sand"....hahaha.

View attachment 147794

This will be a nice truck, I like the single cabs and this one having the coil over will be a nice set up!
When you say " our FUSO will be next completed"..............who is our? You personally or ATW? :)

That is some extreme departure angle too!

good work guys!

alan

Explorer
that'll look great with the desert tan v strom next to it
off course after seeing this Alan will be kicking himself because he painted his truck beige and not that cool desert tan

BTW I love the rear end
looks like an earthcruiser with departure angle :wings:
It looks beige to me!!:victory:

blackduck

Explorer
It looks beige to me!!:victory:

put your glasses on Alan
theres a definate difference between desert tan and beige
apart from the spelling desert tan is much more appealing to the eye and can be worn with combat boots
beige is soft and comes with tartan slippers :wings:

whatcharterboat

This will be a nice truck, I like the single cabs and this one having the coil over will be a nice set up!
When you say " our FUSO will be next completed"..............who is our? You personally or ATW? :)

That is some extreme departure angle too!

good work guys!

Hi Yves.........sorry. This will be "ATW's" truck but the camper on the back has ended up it so different to what will be the norm here in Australia, we probably won't be taking it to shows. Rather I imagine we will be using this mainly for R&D projects, trialling new products, etc.

BTW it now has an Allison 2500 6 speed auto fitted.

Last edited:

HowardH

Adventurer
so any feedback is welcome. .

The body is 4700mm long by 2150mm wide

As I have only seen views from an angle perhaps the proportions are less exaggerated then they appear. What is the reasoning for the exaggerated overhang/up-swept rear-end of the camper? Are all versions of this new model going to follow the same basic design? It seems to make towing a trailer difficult. I can just imagine a sharp dip in the road and those dual spare times sitting down on top of your trailer. LOL

The 4700mm or 15.5 feet in our speak, is that the length of the bottom or the top of the camper?

whatcharterboat

As I have only seen views from an angle perhaps the proportions are less exaggerated then they appear. What is the reasoning for the exaggerated overhang/up-swept rear-end of the camper? Are all versions of this new model going to follow the same basic design? It seems to make towing a trailer difficult. I can just imagine a sharp dip in the road and those dual spare times sitting down on top of your trailer. LOL

The 4700mm or 15.5 feet in our speak, is that the length of the bottom or the top of the camper?

Hi HowardH,

Understand your concern but it's probably not as bad as it looks.......in the vertical plane, the tow point to the rearmost part of the body is around 600mm (2 feet).

The body shape allows us to have the maximum legal size body (in Australia, max overhang = 60% of W.B.) on the truck and this design allows us to achieve that maximum allowable overhang whilst actually improving the departure angle.......BUT ther biggest benefit by far is >>>>>> most common body designs fit the spare wheels out on the rear bumper. In order to stay within legal overhang laws, the spare wheels must be mounted within the measured overhang.....running big wheels in the size that most of us do means that the body must be shortened so that the wheels don't exceed the allowable overhang.....effectively we have now achieved 500mm of extra length internally and greatly improved the departure angle whist still maintaining the same external dimensions as a a typical small body with spares mounted low on the back bar.

For your information, there is a queensize rear bed back in the area above the spare wheels.

Regards John.

Last edited:

westyss

Explorer
Hi Yves.........sorry. This will be "ATW's" truck but the camper on the back has ended up it so different to what will be the norm here in Australia, we probably won't be taking it to shows. Rather I imagine we will be using this mainly for R&D projects, trialling new products, etc.

BTW it now has an Allison 2500 6 speed auto fitted.

Hi John, Ah too bad about that, I thought your boss was giving you a big bonus, but I guess you will be borrowing it for the odd trip no?
Can you elaborate on the allison tranny, what is the reason for this? I see this truck is getting "ALL" the good items in it so will be used as a demo, I could perhaps fly down there and do a few years of demoing with it for you guys seeing as you are all to busy to do so, you dont even have to pay me!
Cheers Yves

whatcharterboat

Hi John, Ah too bad about that, I thought your boss was giving you a big bonus, but I guess you will be borrowing it for the odd trip no?

Hope so. As I said, this truck won't be used to show off the new camper design as we have already made so many modifications since this one was assembled but it will be used for R&D so plenty of trips is exactly what is planned.

Can you elaborate on the allison tranny, what is the reason for this? I see this truck is getting "ALL" the good items in it so will be used as a demo, I could perhaps fly down there and do a few years of demoing with it for you guys seeing as you are all to busy to do so, you dont even have to pay me!
Cheers Yves

Re: the Allison......cause we can!! Again R&D .... Some of the mine sites here in Australia are beginning to adopt policies of all vehicles running auto trannys so we want to be ready. Unfortunately the Duonic FUSO is not available here in Oz but the FGB71 is easier to convert to auto than the FG84 so we are already offering this as an option on our mine buses.

Yves...I reckon the best option for you would be to establish a relationship with a willing and trustworthy ExPo member for the occasional " truck swap" ..... Like a house swap only mobile!!!

HowardH

Adventurer
Makes sense within mandated design constraints. Frustrating for design requirements to meet government rules as opposed to form and function. Oh well.

When you say 60% of wheel base is that just the rear overhang or must you total the front and rear overhang and not exceed your 60%? With a 10 foot wheel base you could have 6 feet overhang past the rear wheels. That seems like a lot to me.

whatcharterboat

Makes sense within mandated design constraints. Frustrating for design requirements to meet government rules as opposed to form and function. Oh well.

Not sure Howard....when 2wd campers are imported here from the USA they sometimes have to chop 3 feet of them to comply. The 60% rule isn't too bad as long as the departure angle isn't impeded. This design for us was all about form and function and pushing the boundary to the maximum. If this Australian overhang law did not exist, I doubt you would ever want to overhang more than this with an offroad vehicle.

When you say 60% of wheel base is that just the rear overhang or must you total the front and rear overhang and not exceed your 60%? With a 10 foot wheel base you could have 6 feet overhang past the rear wheels. That seems like a lot to me.

Overhang (rear only)is measured at the rear most point of the vehicle ( which includes any lights, fittings , racks , barwork, etc) to the centre of the rear axle. ....not the back of the tyre. So in your example with a 10' WB , max overhang allowed here would be 4'6" aft of the back edge of a 36" tyre. Now my brain hurts.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier