All Terrain Warriors campers

Keyne

Adventurer
Awesome pics. Thank you for posting. I love the design and details of the truck. I am soooo happy SMB US is in partnership with you to make these. I need to work on the wife to get one but it would work really well for us. I continue to watch with interest. Love the detailed photos.

westyss

Explorer
Very nice pictures and attention to detail in the interior construction, I do like the centre (keel) storage for the batteries and equipment, most likely those fall into the spaces in the ladder frame.

The rear storage compartment looks like it has access to the interior? Yes? No?

What is the black object above the jack?

Can you mention where you got the drawer restraints from?

Thanks for posting these, I can sure appreciate the finish of the interior.

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Very nice pictures and attention to detail in the interior construction, I do like the centre (keel) storage for the batteries and equipment, most likely those fall into the spaces in the ladder frame.

Giddday Yves,

Thanks....and yes the underfloor wells drop in over the chassis crossmembers.

The rear storage compartment looks like it has access to the interior? Yes? No?

Yes. There is a internal hatch so you can access the external rear locker too.

What is the black object above the jack?

Its a desk flap so that you can run a power lead into the dinette of the camper from outside but keep all the doors locked. There is spin out port to bring the power lead up through the locker floor too.

image.jpg

Can you mention where you got the drawer restraints from?

Yep...I know it seems like an extreme length to go to but these catches are our own design and we have the main block and two plates CNC milled from solid stainless at a local machine shop.....then we assemble them here before fitting. We have seen catches as good as these for sale in yacht hardware catalogues but none were neat enough to fit in our drawer surrounds. I guess its one of the little touches that give these things such a nice feel when you first see them.

Thanks for posting these, I can sure appreciate the finish of the interior.

No worries.
Regards, John.

Last edited:

Deansco

Observer
stove choice

John,

Can you provide some insight into the choice of the stove shown? I see it is a Origo 4100 alcohol stove. Where is the fuel container, how easy is it to refill, etc? Why do you choose that over the Webasto diesel cooktop? It appears that each burner has its own control so that seems like an advantage over the Webasto but cleaning and the open flame seem like disadvantages. It seems to use about 2x the fuel per hour of use but is more powerful so maybe cooking time is reduced. I am looking seriously at the ATW/SMB Global Warrior and thinking about stove options. Thanks for any insight you can provide.

Anyone in the states know if bulk alcohol is readily available and where you would get it?

Dean

Deansco

Observer
Where is the fuel container, how easy is it to refill, etc?

Found the owners manual and a video to answer these questions. You lift up the stove top, remove the burners and fill with alcohol (no funnel needed).

Anyone in the states know if bulk alcohol is readily available and where you would get it?
Google answered this for me - Most hardware stores and equipment outfitters stock this.

Would still be interested in hearing about the rest - thanks.

Keyne

Adventurer
Found the owners manual and a video to answer these questions. You lift up the stove top, remove the burners and fill with alcohol (no funnel needed).

Google answered this for me - Most hardware stores and equipment outfitters stock this.

Would still be interested in hearing about the rest - thanks.

Stove choice is a pretty big topic so some internet searches and should show up a lot of information... especially if you check sailboat forums and such that have tons of info on this topic. In the sailing community at least, there are many many opinions on stoves, but I had an Origo alcohol stove on my sailboat and could list my opinion quickly for you:
- Pros - This type of alcohol stove is very simple by basically using sponges to absorb the alcohol which is then lit to provide the cooking heat. Very easy to use. No moving parts other than the adjustment of the opening over the burner. Also, no propane is used, and alcohol can be put out with water, so it is very safe in comparison to other options.
- Cons:
- Very hard to see the flame
- Heat is hard to monitor and control (e.g. can sometimes take a long time to boil water)
- Kind of messy adding the fuel. I probably needed a better system than the big fuel container but I always found it kind of messy on a moving sailboat to fill it
- The sponges evaporate so almost every time I needed to use the stove I had to add fuel

I am sure there are others but that is a quick summary. I think the big question is how do you want to use the stove? If you go for weekends here and there maybe its ok with an Origo, but if you are going for weeks and months it might be a problem and a more advanced stove (e.g. diesel) would be a better choice. However, these stoves are super popular on boats in Europe so maybe it would be ok for you.

whatcharterboat

John,

Can you provide some insight into the choice of the stove shown? I see it is a Origo 4100 alcohol stove. Where is the fuel container, how easy is it to refill, etc? Why do you choose that over the Webasto diesel cooktop? It appears that each burner has its own control so that seems like an advantage over the Webasto but cleaning and the open flame seem like disadvantages. It seems to use about 2x the fuel per hour of use but is more powerful so maybe cooking time is reduced. I am looking seriously at the ATW/SMB Global Warrior and thinking about stove options. Thanks for any insight you can provide.

Dean

Hi Dean,

Firstly I should say that I do not have a clear knowledge of what options are offered by ATW USA / Sportsmobile so you should really ask this question to them. What we fit here in Australia is not necessarily what is on offer there.....and that could be due to many factors. The standard stove we fit here in Australia is the Origo 2 burner alcohol stove.

Stove 1.jpg

In Australia, "Alcohol" is commonly called Methylated Spirits or good old "Metho". You can buy it here in every grocery store, hardware shop and petrol station in the country. Normally sold in 1 or 5 litre plastic bottles. So the fuel is very common here and easy to use.

stove 7.jpg

The cans are filled with foam like a racecar fuel cell for safety and to stop metho splashing around. Easy to fill with a big aperture.

stove 5.jpg

Origo supply these little neoprene (I think) flaps that seal really well over the fuel cans to prevent evaporation and smell when not in use. (Deane, you should make some for your sailboat!!!)

stove 6.jpg

These things are epitomy of simple. Check out the temperature control.

stove 2.jpg

So as I said this is our standard stove and there is plenty of internet info on the pros and cons of alcohol vs gas vs diesel cooking but IMO this stove is a high quality unit that is cheap, ultra reliable, very easy to use and clean with virtually no maintenance and sold worldwide. BTW something that no one brought up...a good tip to eliminate sooting sometimes associated with cooking with metho is to mix in up to 10% water.....hikers used to cooking on a Trangia will know all about this.

I also wanted to make the comment since you asked, that the pot frame very simply clips off the aid cleaning.

We fit the Webasto as an option. if that is selected, we run the cooling tube down through the recovery locker. Ideally this should have a shield around the tube if you plan to throw loose shovels and poles in.....but as you can see it does take up a little space. The obvious benefit of diesel cooking is that fuel is drawn from the truck's tank. Diesel stoves are not simple though. As excellent as they are they still have a fuel pump, filter, cooling fan, glass top, circuit board, electronic control, mantle, etc, etc. Webasto is the only brand of diesel stove we use.

stove 4.JPG

Another issue with any penetration that you make in a vehicle here is dust ingress and our bulldust is as fine as it gets, so we have this arrangement in the floor to allow cooling air from the diesel stove to vent up and out through the locker door while the stove exhaust runs through the floor.

stove 3.JPG

PS: I should also add that some of our clients opt for no stove at all, prefering the extra bench space with the ability to cook on a portable cooktop inside or outside the vehicle.

Kind regards
John

Last edited:

whatcharterboat

John

With the shower contained within the entrance way, it makes the drain the lowest point.

Do you have a pump that lifts the gray water to a tank in the rear or is the tank located under the vehicle?

Thanx!

Daryl

Hi Daryl,

Got you PM and will reply soon.

Yes. The shower drain is the lowest point and there is a gulley pump to lift shower water to the grey tank on the opposite side of the truck. These are the same pump you would find on a sailboat where your shower drain is below the waterline. They are a high flow and efficient diaphragm pump and aren't too bothered by bit of dirt or rubbish. There is also a water sensor on the drain to start and stop the pump. Yes you are technically using more electrical power but for the short time the pump runs this is hardly worth mentioning. The benefit of having the shower / entry space common is still a great space saving and having a deep step well with tall door makes entry so much easier than having your first step into the camper up near floor level.

Thanks mate.

Regards john.

Last edited:

dlh62c

Explorer
....there is a gulley pump to lift shower water to the grey tank on the opposite side of the truck. These are the same pump you would find on a sailboat where your shower drain is below the waterline.

You guys have thought of everything!

I take it there's a discharge pump used to empty the gray water tank versus a gravity type drain?

Daryl

whatcharterboat

You guys have thought of everything!

I take it there's a discharge pump used to empty the gray water tank versus a gravity type drain?

Daryl

Hi Daryl,

There is a large black water / grey water changeover valve to select the pickup of the black water and a macerator pump to evacuate out through a 10 metre lay flat hose which connects to a port on next to the lhs spare wheel. Once the black water tank is empty, you throw the lever on the changeover valve to empty out the grey water which then flushes out remaining black water in the hose. On boats they sometimes call this a "double macerator" system but the changeover valve is a winner.

Regards
John.

whatcharterboat

I tried getting in the ATW at SEMA but ended up in a storage closet, what go'in on there?:wings:

Sorry Alan .... I was going to say we could paint the entry door beige for you if you'd be more comfortable but luckily came to my senses. Maybe we could just put something in really big print for your old eyes that says "Open other side" like on a packet of biscuits.

What did you think about it anyway? Did you meet Alan or Paul?

Obviously you had a good time overall. Anything catch your eye. Paul said if you were a car guy, you'd be in heaven but not so much about big 4x4 trucks.....well not as you or I know them anyway.

Kind regards
John.

Last edited:

whatcharterboat

Bit of a new direction for ATW,

Now starting to offer custom flat composite panel construction starting as a Stage 1 box mounted on the chassis ready for DIY completion with all the tricky work done like the cab passthrough, offroad body mounting, fitting of windows and doors, etc. ......right up to Stage 4 (Turn key).

This is just an example but can be any shape or size.

[video=youtube;fd5cG4knZ-I]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=fd5cG4knZ-I[/video]

Some more info here >>>>

http://www.allterrainwarriors.com.au/vehicles/new-projects

Thanks guys

Have a good weekend.

Regards
John.

Attachments

• newprojects-01.jpg
    newprojects-01.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 811
Last edited:

Forum statistics