All Terrain Warriors campers

alan

Explorer
I thought the ATW camper was great! i did'nt get to meet your boss Paul apparently he was off enjoying himself, i spoke with the young fella from sportsmobile he was keen to come to Australia and borrow a ATW for a few weeks and do some travelling here, i told him that was fine! not a great deal of true off road traveller vehicles their but wow!! thousands of vehicles to look at, we went to the show everyday and did not see it all, crazy!! they say if you walk around the whole show it's about 47 miles, i believe it! certainly worth the visit.

Sorry Alan .... I was going to say we could paint the entry door beige for you if you'd be more comfortable but luckily came to my senses. Maybe we could just put something in really big print for your old eyes that says "Open other side" like on a packet of biscuits.

What did you think about it anyway? Did you meet Alan or Paul?

Obviously you had a good time overall. Anything catch your eye. Paul said if you were a car guy, you'd be in heaven but not so much about big 4x4 trucks.....well not as you or I know them anyway.

Kind regards
John.

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
That's very interesting you think you will be offering a lifting roof with hard sides?

How big are you willing to go? I. E. Would you consider doing something in the 26 foot range?

Do you have any concept of what the base price would be for those boxes… I.E. the empty shell?

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
That's very interesting you think you will be offering a lifting roof with hard sides?

How big are you willing to go? I. E. Would you consider doing something in the 26 foot range?

Do you have any concept of what the base price would be for those boxes… I.E. the empty shell?

Hi Brian ,

How are you?

26' on the back of a 4wd truck!!!

I say this at the start ..... that we do not have any export plans for this yet.

We are working a 5.8meter (19') long camper box at the moment going on the back of a MAN LE 10.220 with a stretched wheelbase. Right now, just drawing up the floorplan for the client so we can fit windows and doors in the right spot. The base frame is almost done already. We are only building the shell and the owner will complete the fitout himself. As I said, this is a new direction and the one I just mentioned is the first. Hope to get a couple more early in the new year so we can develop a range, work out some simple pricing based on square meters and off we go. Will take some pics as soon as we complete the first one.

This is more about the system than building a specific body shape.

We have been asked to supply pop tops for DIY completion where the owner will sort their own roof lift, sides, fitout, etc.

Haven't really thought about a hardsided poptop......it's a little different here. A "marketable" hardsided poptop would definitely need Aircon here in our climate and therefore a generator to power it. A soft sided poptop can have maximum ventilation and get away without AC so are almost always asked for in Australia. Well, that's my observation anyway. I can certainly see the benefit of hard sides for North America though.

Kind regards
John.

Last edited:

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
Thank you so much John. When it comes time, where ever I get the box built, I plan to ship my truck and start my trip from there. As for the 4wd, nope, not going to do it. I plan to use a very large cab over/cab forward truck. I would have the space an d weight, just trying to choose between building out a freezer box, building a custom box, or commissioning one.

Still a few years before I expect to buy unless my wife gets a wild hair. Thanks!

Any idea what the price mighty be for that 5.8m box?

Regards,
Brian

whatcharterboat

Thank you so much John. When it comes time, where ever I get the box built, I plan to ship my truck and start my trip from there. As for the 4wd, nope, not going to do it. I plan to use a very large cab over/cab forward truck. I would have the space an d weight, just trying to choose between building out a freezer box, building a custom box, or commissioning one.

Still a few years before I expect to buy unless my wife gets a wild hair. Thanks!

Any idea what the price mighty be for that 5.8m box?

Regards,
Brian

Hi Brian,

Yeah, that still sounds OK. If you don't plan to go off road then the size of the truck isn't as much of an issue nor is the mounting of the body so that opens up all types of avenues for new and secondhand boxes and chassis .

I will send you a PM on the rest.

Kind regards John

Last edited:

Keyne

Adventurer
View attachment 198710

Just wondering, with these front storage cabinets. Would it be possible to mount a top loading fridge/freezer (e.g. National Luna) in there on a slide to the outside, or would it be too tall to access from the top? Maybe a rhinoslide style slide could be made to slide out sideways and drop down if its too high?

Also, you mentioned you can access from the cabinet from the inside as well? Is that access from the top (e.g. under the settee bottom cushion inside)?

whatcharterboat

View attachment 198710

Just wondering, with these front storage cabinets. Would it be possible to mount a top loading fridge/freezer (e.g. National Luna) in there on a slide to the outside, or would it be too tall to access from the top? Maybe a rhinoslide style slide could be made to slide out sideways and drop down if its too high?

Also, you mentioned you can access from the cabinet from the inside as well? Is that access from the top (e.g. under the settee bottom cushion inside)?

Hi Deane,

Merry Christmas mate.

Yeah, those front lockers pictured are under the dinette seats. If you lift up the cushions, you will notice that there is a molded hatchway with a flat panel glued down in place. If the customer opts for it we cut out the top of the hatchway and make the panel hinge up. Actually in the photo, you can just make out the hatchway recess in the roof of the bin. No one has asked for this option yet but obviously that allows for access into those front bins from inside the camper as well as from outside.

I don't believe that a top load fridge would fit in that space....... I haven't checked this exactly but I would think that a single drawer / Waeco cassette-style fridge would be perfect for that location though.

Kind regards
John.

Last edited:

4x4coaster

Adventurer
Any update on this project? how soon they may be available for ordering/production?

Bit of a new direction for ATW,

Now starting to offer custom flat composite panel construction starting as a Stage 1 box mounted on the chassis ready for DIY completion with all the tricky work done like the cab passthrough, offroad body mounting, fitting of windows and doors, etc. ......right up to Stage 4 (Turn key).

This is just an example but can be any shape or size.

[video=youtube;fd5cG4knZ-I]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=fd5cG4knZ-I[/video]

Some more info here >>>>

http://www.allterrainwarriors.com.au/vehicles/new-projects

Thanks guys

Have a good weekend.

Regards
John.

whatcharterboat

Any update on this project? how soon they may be available for ordering/production?

Hi 4x4Coaster,

As that post back in December says, they have been available for production since then."Now starting to offer flat panel construction"

So far, we only have one confirmed order ..... A big 6.8m body for an MAN LE10..... We were hoping to be finished this by now but the owner is still working on his own plumbing and wiring below the floor before we can start. Possibly another two weeks now before we see the truck back. Then a couple of weeks to put the shell together and then we'll post some pics up. A lot of clients are waiting to see the first one. Incidentally, the owner of the MAN is fitting it out inside himself too.

The whole idea is to offer a DIY option for those that have the skills or are after something a little different. We also have two fulltime CAD designers on staff now so we can help putting plans together as well.

Regards John.

Last edited:

whatcharterboat

Just wanted to invite anyone in the Perth area along to an Open Day we plan to run soon.We would rarely get this opportunity and could be a good chance to catch up with WA-based Expo members at the same time. Not sure how many we'll get but all are welcome. The vehicle on show is the one that has the on-going travel report featured in the last 4 issues of the Wanderer Magazine. We will need to know who's coming so please RSVP for details. Thanks.

Please click on this image to make it clearer.
ATW_GW_PerthOpenDay.jpg

Thanks.

Last edited:

Keyne

Adventurer
How are the US builds coming along? Would love to see more pics. Especially of the fixed roof version. Also, quick question regarding water... the Earthcruisers seem to have the ability to pump water from streams through filters etc and can be direct to the sink shower or into one or both of the water tanks. Do the ATW campers have the pump system available or has someone added it after the fact?

whatcharterboat

How are the US builds coming along? Would love to see more pics. Especially of the fixed roof version. Also, quick question regarding water... the Earthcruisers seem to have the ability to pump water from streams through filters etc and can be direct to the sink shower or into one or both of the water tanks. Do the ATW campers have the pump system available or has someone added it after the fact?

Hi Deane,

How are you mate? Yeah....well we used to run onboard pumps on all our old Scouts and Commandos so you could park next to a creek throw a hose in a fill you main tank but have now deleted this option. We think it is more pratical to run a portable 24V or 12V DC pump with a short pickup hose and a long fill hose. Pumps are always far more efficient at pushing rather than sucking so if you were in a situation were you could get access close enough to a creek, the pump may not lift. Either system is easy to do but none of the Gobal Warriors we've built in Australia have had an onboard pick-up pump.

One of our customers carries a tiny 2stroke firefighting pump in his truck.....along with a 2stroke chainsaw and a can of fuel. This works really well for filling his tanks, washing down the truck and solar panels, etc.

whatcharterboat

Not motorhomes but still interesting. The vehicles at the end of the first video are our new work trucks with lunchroom, toilet and galley.

....and this was our seat, seat mounting /under floor seat rail crash test. The idea is that the seats are supposed to have a crumple rate to protect the occupants. Also the seats have to be strong enough to support against occupants behind you if they aren't wearing their seat belts. Funny, we all wear seat belts in the buses when we test drive now after watching this vid....hahah. BTW the crash laboratory had never had a bus section pass so easily. The full composite construction is amazing compared to a typical steel frame.

Last edited:

alan

Explorer
Great video's john, the work and money that must of gone in to this developement is crazy!! well done:)

whatcharterboat

Great video's john, the work and money that must of gone in to this developement is crazy!! well done:)

Yeah thanks Alan. I've got a good video here somewhere of the rollover test too...the rollover was done using a 13ton Isuzu on massive 425 super singles with a 26 seat mod bus body . I'll see if I can find it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier